Forum Organization

32 posts in this topic

Posted

So I think there are a bunch of forums that need to be moved/merged, I'm creating this so everyone can give some feedback...

Having less to none sub-forums is preferred...

Merge the Zelda Role Playing forum with the Role Play forum then maybe make it a sub forum of Forum Games.

Merge Non-Zelda Art with Original Stories and make it an actual forum instead of Sub-Forums.

Archive News & Reviews.

Make Submit Your Content an actual forum maybe rename to something else, Submit News/Content/Reviews ???

Move The Ancient Ruins to Hyrule Castle (It's the main staff category but this will be available to all users and at the bottom of the forums).

Does The Wild West really need to be it's own forum or should it go under Serious Discussion (sub-forum).

Merge Hylian Art Gallery with Hyrule Library.

Merge Zelda theories with The Legend of Zelda Discussion???

Private Archive of old staff forums.

Does Werewolf really need it's own forum?

Posted

The Wild West doesn't really have many if any (as far as I've seen) serious discussion so...

"Make Submit Your Content" makes me think of fan art and fanfiction and maybe game faqs and what have you.

"Merge Non-Zelda Art with Original Stories and make it an actual forum instead of Sub-Forums." Something like that.

Posted

my smut is serious business :(

Posted

my smut is serious business :(

しんでください。

Posted

(oh hey thanks for making this topic :> getting notified of things/giving feedback is always fun)

so yeah basically making a rough sketch of the forum layout with some of my own suggestions/some of your suggestions:

~*~*~

Hyrule.net

>News Suggestions (lol my attempt to rename Submit Your Content, don't expect superb naming from me ^^; )

>Help Desk (I still want to attempt to update the rules & FAQS threads here one day lol)

>Lobby - Coming or Going (I think it's silly this is a sub-forum in Open Floor, seems like it'd make more sense to introduce/announce leaving in the first forum on the page? idk, most people apparently minimise Hnet and Hyrule Field anyways, which I think is a dumb thing to do anyways.)

Hyrule Field

>Legend of Zelda Discussion

----Zelda Theories (I think this should keep it's own section, don't want it getting lost under general Zelda discussion threads lol :<)

>Gameplay Help

>Glitches, Tricks and Fun Extras

>Hyrule Gallery (would have both Zelda art and stories)

----Zelda Role-Playing (??? I'm not really sure whether to separate Zelda RPs from the other RP forum lol, or just merge it with RP forum, see below)

Hyrule Town Square

>Open Floor and Discussion

>Forum Games

----Werewolf (should stay a sub-forum under Forum Games imo, it's a big thing for many of the active members here, it's p. important I'd say lol)

>Entertainment Zone

----Gaming Zone

>Serious Discussion

----Rants & Raves

>Original Content (seriously can't think of a name for this... lol, I'm thinking this would be where Original stories and the non-zelda art go, though?)

----Role-Playing (should really be a subforum, it's not big enough (or taken seriously by anyone here...) to get it's own forum imo.

>Wild West (I'd say it's used enough by the members here to keep it as it's own forum :x )

Hyrule Castle

>Ancient Ruins (ladida I agree with your idea to move it here/make viewable for everyone, move News & Reviews Forum here idk)

>General Staff Discussion (don't really see the need for those three separate subforums, when Hnet Castle is hardly used lol :< General Staff Discussion would be more than enough)

>Trash Can

~*~*~

So yeah, I actually kinda agree that News & Reviews should go :< it's barely used atm. I'm not even sure how the News system even works on this forum, though lol. Probably because I don't actually go on the front page. iirc certain people have the ability to post news on the front page???? But yeah people post their news suggestions in appropriately-named-hypothetical-forum and idk we check to see if it can go on the front page yeah someone explain how the news system works lol. But that's my idea behind it.

But yeah, feel free to harshly critique my layout lol. And suggest names for an Original Content forum g o s h

meep i'll go do my homework now lol instead of procrastinating and making long OTT posts. ):

Posted

@Sayuri

You would be so bored if I died :P

Posted

Well

being the person that organized the forum last time

I think I preferred it the other way.

All the personal productions go in Art Gallery, all nonpersonal productions go in Entertainment Zone. I don't care how elitist some members are about what art is, people come to the gallery to browse user generated content. So deal with it.

That being said, personal productions could also go in Entertainment, but mostly for things like videos and podcasts? You know. Entertainment stuff. Not like, progressive workings on self improvement or personal works that aren't purely for entertainment of other users.

I honestly preferred the News & Reviews to be linked to the front page. It was loads easier to just post in one place and have it show up in both. Now that they're separate, you'd have to make a topic on the board to appeal to on-forum users who don't tend to visit the front page. (Myself included) So it's just a lot of hassle that seems really unnecessary. I appreciate news posts, but I never venture to the main site just to seek them out. As a result, it's like a news blackout for me.

Now that I think about it, everything but the Art Gallery could be combined with the Zelda Discussion board. The Glitches/Tricks/Fun Stuff and Help boards could easily be a subforum of Zelda Discussion, since they're exclusively Zelda based.

I think we should have another forum within the Field called "Recent Zelda", which is like, exclusively for the most recent released Zelda games (within maybe two or three years), and it's locked unless you enter a password, like in the Wild West. That way people can post kinda' revealing topics without burning the eyes of all those who don't want spoilers. I suggest a password like "SPOILIT4ME" or something that gets across that they're responsible for what they see. It would be a combo discussion/help forum for the most recent Zeldas, to be released into the main board for the topics once the freshness expires, if you know what I mean.

Also, I agree with Cascade. Please notify users before changing things, or getting feedback beforehand.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Almost tempted to say kill the whole RP thing. Just kill it.

(Or just make it a subforum somewhere)

Yeah RP can just be a subforum in entertainment. It's kind of sad.

Posted

i like cas's idea, with a couple things:

we could probably throw RPs as a subforum of forum games, in the same way werewolf is there.

All the personal productions go in Art Gallery, all nonpersonal productions go in Entertainment Zone. I don't care how elitist some members are about what art is, people come to the gallery to browse user generated content. So deal with it.

That being said, personal productions could also go in Entertainment, but mostly for things like videos and podcasts? You know. Entertainment stuff. Not like, progressive workings on self improvement or personal works that aren't purely for entertainment of other users.

when people make stuff, they would know themselves (hopefully) which one theirs belongs in...though having the knowledge that the entertainment zone is for that would help.

Now that I think about it, everything but the Art Gallery could be combined with the Zelda Discussion board. The Glitches/Tricks/Fun Stuff and Help boards could easily be a subforum of Zelda Discussion, since they're exclusively Zelda based.

i agree with this---if the core of it is about zelda, then it goes in the zelda spot, imo.

I think we should have another forum within the Field called "Recent Zelda", which is like, exclusively for the most recent released Zelda games (within maybe two or three years), and it's locked unless you enter a password, like in the Wild West. That way people can post kinda' revealing topics without burning the eyes of all those who don't want spoilers. I suggest a password like "SPOILIT4ME" or something that gets across that they're responsible for what they see. It would be a combo discussion/help forum for the most recent Zeldas, to be released into the main board for the topics once the freshness expires, if you know what I mean.

having a password and such seems unnecessary, tbh. however, it raises the question of whether or not subforums for individual zelda games and then a separate one for general series discussion or w/e would be a good idea. just a thought.

also, we have spoiler tags, so i would hope people would use them, title topics accordingly, or not go waltzing into a discussion of a game when they dont want it spoiled in the first place.

Posted

We could just tag on "*SPOILERS*" to Recent Zelda. It screams at them "hey, you better not complain if you're in here."

Posted

(oh hey thanks for making this topic :> getting notified of things/giving feedback is always fun)

so yeah basically making a rough sketch of the forum layout with some of my own suggestions/some of your suggestions:

~*~*~

Hyrule.net

>News Suggestions (lol my attempt to rename Submit Your Content, don't expect superb naming from me ^^; )

>Help Desk (I still want to attempt to update the rules & FAQS threads here one day lol)

>Lobby - Coming or Going (I think it's silly this is a sub-forum in Open Floor, seems like it'd make more sense to introduce/announce leaving in the first forum on the page? idk, most people apparently minimise Hnet and Hyrule Field anyways, which I think is a dumb thing to do anyways.)

Hyrule Field

>Legend of Zelda Discussion

----Zelda Theories (I think this should keep it's own section, don't want it getting lost under general Zelda discussion threads lol :<)

>Gameplay Help

>Glitches, Tricks and Fun Extras

>Hyrule Gallery (would have both Zelda art and stories)

----Zelda Role-Playing (??? I'm not really sure whether to separate Zelda RPs from the other RP forum lol, or just merge it with RP forum, see below)

Hyrule Town Square

>Open Floor and Discussion

>Forum Games

----Werewolf (should stay a sub-forum under Forum Games imo, it's a big thing for many of the active members here, it's p. important I'd say lol)

>Entertainment Zone

----Gaming Zone

>Serious Discussion

----Rants & Raves

>Original Content (seriously can't think of a name for this... lol, I'm thinking this would be where Original stories and the non-zelda art go, though?)

----Role-Playing (should really be a subforum, it's not big enough (or taken seriously by anyone here...) to get it's own forum imo.

>Wild West (I'd say it's used enough by the members here to keep it as it's own forum :x )

Hyrule Castle

>Ancient Ruins (ladida I agree with your idea to move it here/make viewable for everyone, move News & Reviews Forum here idk)

>General Staff Discussion (don't really see the need for those three separate subforums, when Hnet Castle is hardly used lol :< General Staff Discussion would be more than enough)

>Trash Can

~*~*~

So yeah, I actually kinda agree that News & Reviews should go :< it's barely used atm. I'm not even sure how the News system even works on this forum, though lol. Probably because I don't actually go on the front page. iirc certain people have the ability to post news on the front page???? But yeah people post their news suggestions in appropriately-named-hypothetical-forum and idk we check to see if it can go on the front page yeah someone explain how the news system works lol. But that's my idea behind it.

But yeah, feel free to harshly critique my layout lol. And suggest names for an Original Content forum g o s h

meep i'll go do my homework now lol instead of procrastinating and making long OTT posts. ):

News & Reviews used to be how news was posted to the main site, we know use wordpress a more effective way of doing this. I think trash can go away, it no longer is used when deleting stuff.

Well

being the person that organized the forum last time

I think I preferred it the other way.

I honestly preferred the News & Reviews to be linked to the front page. It was loads easier to just post in one place and have it show up in both. Now that they're separate, you'd have to make a topic on the board to appeal to on-forum users who don't tend to visit the front page. (Myself included) So it's just a lot of hassle that seems really unnecessary. I appreciate news posts, but I never venture to the main site just to seek them out. As a result, it's like a news blackout for me.

Also, I agree with Cascade. Please notify users before changing things, or getting feedback beforehand.

Sahaqiel

Art Gallery/Original Stories is meant for self-made creations, not for stuff found on the internet, this is why we I think used to have a random picture thread and video thread in Entertainment Zone. If we combine the Non-Zelda Art and Original Stories into, lets say "Original Creations," I think anything self-made even podcasts and videos should be able to go into this new forum.

I'm not going back to posting news on the forums, it took away the point on having users go to the homepage and letting them know that we do actually have a main site, other than the forums. I understand that you strictly forum users don't go to the main site for news but I'm not gonna take the time to have a system to post news twice. I have added a sidebar with the titles to news articles on the main site, so I guess if you find something you are interested in reading you can go read it on the main site.

I don't think the zelda forums should be combined into one messy forum. Actual Zelda discussion is far different from gameplay help than you may think and I don't think it would work. It's too bad that the zelda forums are hardly active anyways.

I kinda agree with this though I don't even think it would be used anyways. Passworded "public" forums are /bad/ and take away possible visits from google (not the bot but users using google to search for something) and such. People can use topic prefixes if I enable it, and then I can also set board specific rules which I think I can make users agree to before being able to post and stuff.

Almost tempted to say kill the whole RP thing. Just kill it.

(Or just make it a subforum somewhere)

Yeah RP can just be a subforum in entertainment. It's kind of sad.

I don't think it should be immediately deleted but it can be a sub-forum before it gets archived, a.k.a the last hoorah.

i like cas's idea, with a couple things:

we could probably throw RPs as a subforum of forum games, in the same way werewolf is there.

when people make stuff, they would know themselves (hopefully) which one theirs belongs in...though having the knowledge that the entertainment zone is for that would help.

i agree with this---if the core of it is about zelda, then it goes in the zelda spot, imo.

having a password and such seems unnecessary, tbh. however, it raises the question of whether or not subforums for individual zelda games and then a separate one for general series discussion or w/e would be a good idea. just a thought.

also, we have spoiler tags, so i would hope people would use them, title topics accordingly, or not go waltzing into a discussion of a game when they dont want it spoiled in the first place.

Until we get actual users that stay and are here to talk about zelda I'm not creating sub forums for each game or console game (NES Zelda, N64 Zelda, etc)

We could just tag on "*SPOILERS*" to Recent Zelda. It screams at them "hey, you better not complain if you're in here."

This with combination of forum specific rules saying that there be spoilers here.

Edit: Here is my way of redoing things.

Hyrule.net
- Submit News (People can submit possible news for the site)
- Help Desk (For people having troubles with the site, not zelda related)
- Lobby (Hi I'm _____/Adios compadres)
Hyrule Field
- The Legend of Zelda Discussion (Discuss the Zelda Series)
-- Zelda Theories (What if link is princess zelda's son?!)
- Gameplay Help (Halp how do master sword)
- Zelda Extras?? (Glitches, Tricks, Fun)
- Hyrule Library (In a land far far away, a kid wakes up but is unaware what he is happening in the rest of hyrule)
Hyrule Town Square
- Open Floor (General Discussion that is not zelda, also take note that the rename to just "Open Floor")
- Forum Games
-- Werewolf
-- Role Playing (Sub-forum before it gets archived.)
- Entertainment Zone (Guys check out this cool video I found.)
-- Gaming Zone (Pew pew, headshot. Lets play minecraft or team fortress 2)
- Original Creations (Non zelda art)
- Serious Discussions (Politics is serious business.)
-- Rants & Raves (HATE SOPA, HATE PIPA, HATE ACTA)
- The Wild West (It's a secret to everybody.)
Hyrule Castle
- Staff Discussion (For the staff discussions that don't happen)
- Hyrule Archives (For the forums that are old and dead)
[/CODE]

Posted

Sure hope all those descriptions are jokes, because I also left out that I don't like the new descriptions much either.

Posted

Sure hope all those descriptions are jokes, because I also left out that I don't like the new descriptions much either.

Nah, descriptions would stay/slightly modified. If you are saying I've changed descriptions, I haven't. At least I don't think I have...

Posted

the reason werewolf got its own forum was so it wouldnt spam up forum games. Leave that the way it is

Teto likes this

Posted

Anyone else have anything else to say?