Dark Souls the General Thread

317 posts in this topic

Posted

I already make this joke on chat but..

fmeEtfR.gif

darkroot_cat.gif

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

Man puppy that cat, scary and comes out of nowhere and there's like 4 of them :sadlink:

Posted

I just heard a bunch of fantastic news about Dark Souls 2, like preordering it/buying it when it's released will let you get it in a fancy tin box, and it automatically comes with the soundtrack (the original dark souls soundtrack is currently on my ipod because its so good). It also comes out the week after my birthday, so that's something. But one of the reasons I've been looking at getting a desktop PC is so I can actually play videogames and stuff, and I would have much more access to that PC than I would to any xbox. Not to mention, I'd really like to stream myself playing Dark Souls 2 for the first time. So I think I'd rather just preorder the PC version of Dark Souls 2, and just wait patiently until I get my own tower. But then again, that means waiting even longer to actually play the game, and I'm worried the longer I wait, the more chance I have of getting the game spoiled for myself. What do you guys think?

Posted

Hold strong for the PC game, that's what I'm doing anyway.

(I've been working on saving up money for a good gaming PC as well and will probably get one after I graduate college.)

Posted (edited)

So I should be able to play the Dark Souls II Network test soon, yeah I know I still haven't beaten Dark Souls but whatever, I'll post my reactions whenever I am able to play it.

Edit: Apparently the servers for the test were online for an hour last night, my download took to long for me to be able to play, but whatever. Kind of wish anyone in the DSII podcast could play it too though.

Edited by Double45 (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Double45's Dark Souls II Network Test Report:

First off I'll say, the game looks gorgeous, way more polished than Dark Souls, possibly better than Demon's Souls, hard to tell

New gameplay elements and info:

(Contains Nabe spoilers)

-There are now Dark Spirit summon signs, I guess people can request a duel this way

-You walk faster than you do in Dark Souls, and you seem to run faster as well

-You no longer jump after pressing the roll button while running, I've heard theres another way to jump from some people, but I saw none

-Humanity items have been replaced by items that look like black estus flasks (I think they were called Human Effigies), they seem to act right away and you don't have to use the bonfire to get back into human form

-Messages can be placed anytime and no longer require items (This is old news), when someone rates your message you gain health, even if your health is being cut down some because of dying, healing this way can give you your max health back, but it will go back to the post death amount after dropping below.

-You're no longer invulnerable while doing things going through fog and pressing switches, enemies can interrupt these processes

Everything I did:

(Contains everyone else/Pheo spoilers)

As I started up the network test, I got into the server, was asked to choose a class and enter name, I chose the Temple Knight class, as soon as the beta (easier to type than network test) starts you're near a cliff in an area called Huntsman's Copse. The weapon I had equipped was a Halberd, I switched through the 3 items I had on my right hand, one was a Bell, which is what replaces Talismans I guess, and the third was an Axe. I tried using the halberd for a while but I liked the axe a lot more. Anyway, the common weak enemies are actually tougher than the ones in Demon's and Dark Souls. I'm not going to describe everything I did in detail, but I fought some enemies here, fought some enemies here, died a few times. I had to do one part about 3 times before I could make it to the second bonfire.

A little after the second bonfire, after dealing with 2 grunt enemies, I cross a bridge and I see a big enemy holding 2 huge shotels, I had a tough time beating him, but I got him, and I left a message saying "Tough enemy ahead" and I got rated about 8 times, which helped me discover the whole rating heals you thing, anyway after this point you have to ways to go.

One path leads you to an area where you have to fight four black phantoms back to back, simple enough since its not all at once (you can make it all at once though if you wanted) After this is a bridge, at the end of the bridge the game tells you you're in a new area called

Undead Purgatory, so I guess Undead places like in Dark Souls are making a comeback

Theres another black phantom up ahead guarding some fog, his equipment reminded me a little of Black Iron Tarkus, his weapon and shield were similiar but the armor was way different. This guy killed me multiple times. I eventually decided to resort to getting him to follow me down the bridge, and then just run past him and go through the fog. Then I was greeted with a cutscene, and a boss fight began (boss details in spoilers)

The bosses name was Executioner's Chariot, its like the chariot from that one Dark Souls gameplay video, I suppose they made it into a boss, or maybe it becomes a common enemy later on, who knows, anyway there were tons of bloodstains around so this guy had been killing a lot of players, I died to him 5 times before I found out the right strategy, not spoiling that though, I defeated it my next try

There was a bonfire right after the bosses thankfully, and my beta time was about over at this point, I actually ended around this bonfire, because my journey on the other path didn't go as well.

The other path leads you to a pack of enemies who try to ambush sort of using daggers, with some archers up ahead, if you can take down these enemies than you can press a switch that lowers a bridge. Across the bridge is even more of these types of enemies, and eventually you get to an area where 2 black phantom versions of the enemies with huge shotels spawn and try to sandwich you, but I got past one thankfully, you'll come across some more of the other enemies before finding a fog gate, I couldn't beat this next boss, details below:

This boss was called Skeleton Lord, he had 2 minions, I just couldn't deal enough damage to the minions, and all 3 of them pretty much destroyed me, I tried to get back here a few times, but it wasn't worth it.

Long story short, I beat atleast one boss, so I'm fine with that.

tl;dr I did better than I thought I would have done but I'm sure Nabe, Muffin or Pheo could have done better. Probably anyway.

Edited by Double45 (see edit history)
なべ likes this

Posted

Thank you for keeping your spoilers under spoiler tabs. I will be sure not to click them or look at them. You are a considerate person dubs. Good job.

Posted

LkueqZm.jpg

ilbIMOM.jpg

T1g and なべ like this

Posted

I WANT EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THAT CAFE

Posted

t9zk7IE.gif

T1g likes this

Posted

Dark Souls announced as unlockable character in Smash Bros

T1g and pheonix561 like this

Posted

Dude when are you gonna play this game

Posted

Just don't eat any of Smough's dishes

Posted

Is there even a single scrap of food in Dark Souls.

The only mention of food I recall is the one T1g just cleverly alluded to, the one about Smough eating ground up people bones for his food.

Posted

Nabe told me I had to finish the thing before I Dark Souls II, so I'm back on the case.