Dark Souls the General Thread

317 posts in this topic

Posted

why are you playing that boring song on top of the actual game music it's so dissonant :s

Posted

How can you dislike Pachelbel's Canon? Also, I'd died to Artorias at least a hundred times at that point over three or more streams. I decided to play some music over the battle. Pachelbel's Canon was the one that I finally won with.

I'm not one to play music over a game, especially one like Dark Souls, but I finally gave in just for the Artorias fight because I just wasn't winning any time soon and the music was keeping my spirits high. I thought it was a fitting song to end with after the battle, too. Very triumphant and peaceful in my eyes.

Posted

pfft forget that id play some hotel california or something

For real though, I think the Pachelbelli Canon is too pacifist and lighthearted; it's true that killing Artorias is an act of mercy but I would have chosen something closer to the original track for the battle.

Posted

Yeah I'm probably gonna abandon this thread with Dark Souls 2 comes out. I won't have any way of playing it for a while and I don't want this thread spoiling the game for me.

Posted

Don't worry Pheo I will make sure I beat the whole game a day after it's released and write a lengthy monologue about why it gives me an erection

Knuckle likes this

Posted

fuuuuuuck youuuuu

Knuckle likes this

Posted

the main charcter dies and all the souls go to heaven and then are rejected and sent to hell instead

Knuckle likes this

Posted

(tries to buy a shield or something)

"Your souls aren't welcome here"

(thousands of souls scream as they are discarded into hell)

T1g likes this

Posted

Killed Demon Firesage, Centipede Demon, and Bed of Chaos last night. None of the fights are particularly interesting, but I'll post them anyway.

All I have to do now is kill Nito and I'll be ready to finish game and start watching VaatiVidya or something like that...

Posted

This fight is my crowning achievement. I persevered after 40-50 deaths and finally did it. Again, I'm sorry to have put music on during the fight, but Nob already watched 4+ hours of Kalameet death runs. The music shuffles were beast though, at least to me. Before that, I got a bunch of 100% Japanese songs. Twilight Town to Bran Bal to White Storm to Not Your Kind of People was pretty good. The fact that the fight ends just as the song does was best, too. (Sorry for 14-minute battle, but I think/hope it's entertaining.)

Not the most honorable battle I've had in PVP, but it was hilarious.

Sorry for double-post, but I want attention, so.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

That Kalameet battle was good. I spent a good thirty or forty deaths trying to cut off his tail just to have him kill me before I could get the chance; It's difficult to find an opening to attack his tail, made even more difficult by the fact that my main is a pure strength/endurance/vitality build that lets me just tank through everything but makes me so horribly slow that I can rarely get to the exposed tail in time to make an attack before it's pulled away. Which sucks because I really want the weapon you get from Kalameet's tail.

I also thought that ending was really dramatic and epic and fitting for dark souls, especially with that music playing. It was not unlike the trailers for the game.

Posted

Thanks, Pheonix. Yeah, I asked Nob what the tail gave me and he just said a veapon and I was like "Well, I probably won't be able to wield it anyway" and just decided to not go for. Especially for the reasons you said. That tail just don't wanna be cut. I'd say your best bet is to get behind him, get him to tail attack, dodge, attack once or twice, repeat.

I thought the final song was p. fitting, yeah. The last two songs were fitting for the battle and got me pumped up during the battle. Also, I thought you said my highlight wasn't like the trailers and I'm watching the first one and I'm like "Isn't this just like my highlight?" and then I realized you said "not unlike" and all was understood.

By the way, I got the kill and the souls. I loved my reaction though. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?? WHAT DOES THAT MEAAAN? WHAT DOES THAT MEAAAAAAN?? Nob was freaking out, too. It was too good.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

I upgraded my Uchigatana +10 to the Chaos Blade and it is my new love. When all was lost and I turned to the Gravelord's Great Sword, it showed me the light. Deals good damage, in my opinion and I know there's much, much better, and it is my beloved Uchigatana that gives me the strength in my little weeaboo heart to go on, for I am a master samurai when I hold it's cursed grip.

Here it is, folks, the video I've been waiting a very long time for. I did it! Pretty good video, too, although I did get grabbed twice... but besides that, pretty decent. I wanted to end with the two-handed R2 attack, which I demonstrated in the Manus fight, but I was too caught up in the fact that I could beat him... I shamed my honor. I finally defeated him though, took 30+ tries, but that was last night. This battle was the first of the day and it felt good to defeat him right after turning on the stream.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Oh yeah, the gwyn fight. I personally liken the fight with him to the fight with demise at the end of skyward sword, in the sense that when you first fight them they're actually REALLY, REALLY INTENSE FIGHTS HOLY SHIT HOW DO YOU DO THIS, but then once you know how to fight them, or better yet how to actually exploit their weaknesses, suddenly they're really easy.

In terms of skyward sword, for example, lots of boss fights aren't like fighting strong enemies so much as they are like tackling dungeon puzzles that have high stakes and are particularly deadly. You don't really fight them with your typical sword and shield combat tactics, but instead have to do something like throwing a bomb in their way while they're trying to get from point a to point b in order to interrupt their path. Lots of Demise's attacks, however, can be totally deflected just by shield bashing with link. In the first half of the fight, anyways. But you probably don't know that or even want to try that when you first get to him.

Gwyn is the same way. You spend all of Dark Souls taking on giant bosses like the iron golem, who, how would you even begin to parry him? Or the bed of chaos, of all things. Or Seathe the scaleless who you can't even hurt until you break his wonderful immortal scale, and so on and so forth. Then you get to gwyn, and despite his crazy powerful and aggressive attacks, it turns out not only can you stagger him, but you can even parry him:

I'm impressed you took on kalameet and manus beforehand, to be honest. Maybe it's just because the first time I fought both of them was on NG+ and they were tougher than they would have been, or maybe it's because I'm just used to fighting gwyn now, but I consider both of them to be much harder boss fights than gwyn, and I think artorias is about even. The only way I could even beat Manus was by summoning Sif as an aid and using my dragon ultragreatsword with two hands. Even then I used all twenty shots of my estus, and still just barely got by him at the last second. Manus was intense. On that note, muffin. Why didn't you use the silver pendant in your manus bossfight? Did you not have it?

Also, how do you feel about the game, having finally beaten it? Did you enjoy it? What are your thoughts on the story? Any characters in particular who stand out to you? I think Havel the Rebel has a really fascinating story going on for him but I want to hear your thoughts on the game.
なべ likes this

Posted

I don't think I got the Silver Pendant, no.

It feels good to finally be done with such a well-made game, especially since it's so unfinished... It was definitely a very enjoyable game, even though after the 30th death on a boss I would've definitely said differently. The sense of accomplishment from beating each boss, except maybe Pinwheel? is so nice. Every boss victory really felt so nice to finally win.

I just got done with VaatiVidya's vidja collection and the story seems really amazing. It reminds me of Eva in that the story(gameplay for Dark Souls) is really well put together and stands on its own, but then you take a deeper look and connect all of the dots laid throughout the whole work and you find all of this stuff that all goes together so well. The pessimist inside of me wants to say they're both too deep and all the inference is just stupid, but it's really cool for something to be so accessible, but have this deeper lore hidden in plain sight. The video for Artorias showing a different cutscene for Sif where she sniffs you and howls if you defeat Artorias beforehand actually made me upset.

Solaire has the best storyline, in my opinion. He's the only one to actually make it to the end with the player, if you defeat the sunlight maggots before he gets there, and that's just amazing. He manages to defeat the odds, becoming undead just to find his sun. It seems he sort of took over the role of Oscar, except he doesn't betray you in the end. Tarkus is close behind, being the only knight to ever make it to Anor Londo.

Also, after seeing all of the cut content of Shiva, I wish they had kept it in the game. It would've been cool for Nabe to have hinted at me to check out his storyline near the end of the game, since I made the Chaos Blade.

All of the vidjas I watched today of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 has got me sufficiently pumped up to play it when it's released. Smoother graphics, a PS3 controller, new areas, new shortcuts, new enemies, new patterns, new "That boss"es, new awesome weapons, new awesome armors, new traps, new favorite characters, new Yurt/Lautrec, new Patches, new ARTIFICIAL DIFFICULTY, more YOU DIED x50. I just can't wait.

pheonix561 and なべ like this