Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Upcoming Games

35 posts in this topic

Posted

CUBE WORLD has a new website. Also, closed Alpha started, so you can watch people playing it on Youtube now

https://picroma.com/

Posted

Hey whats this I hear about that new EVE Online game thats an FPS that coincides directly with the Eve universe, and you can be on planets fighting other players with your space marine skills and another player who's playing as a spaceship in eve can help you or hinder you and stuff? Whats the deal with that? Is it out yet? Should I play it? Because it sounds like a really really interesting concept.

Posted (edited)

Hey whats this I hear about that new EVE Online game thats an FPS that coincides directly with the Eve universe, and you can be on planets fighting other players with your space marine skills and another player who's playing as a spaceship in eve can help you or hinder you and stuff? Whats the deal with that? Is it out yet? Should I play it? Because it sounds like a really really interesting concept.

That would be Dust 514, and yes, the full version (free and downloadable on PS3) has been out for a little over a month. From what I've heard it got mediocre reviews.

As far as integration with EVE, systems that Dust players are in share chat, and EVE players can bombard planets from orbit. I think the economy is also linked.

I can't speak to the quality of the game since I don't have a ps3, but its free so you may as well try it I suppose. Probably the best way to experience it would be to also play EVE, as I think there are some corporations that focus entirely on assisting Dust battles. (If anyone wants to start playing EVE, use this link and I'll give you half of the reward I get for referrals)

/end shameless money grab

Edited by emsomniac (see edit history)

Posted

I sincerely doubt I'd ever start playing EVE. As far as I've been able to understand from everything I know about the game, It's a giant game of "lets play economy." Not for me. I thought the way it linked with Dust sounded fascinating, though. I'm gonna go look up some gameplay.

Posted

Theres this 3DS eshop game coming out next week (in the U.S. anyway, released 7/18) called "Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale"

Its been available in japan for a while as part of the "Guild02" compilation for 3DS

Heres part of the official description on the 3DS eshop:

Step into the life of Sohta, the young son of a family that has just set up a dry cleaners shop in the idyllic town of Fuji no Hana. In his interactions with the town's unique residents, episodic mysteries are revealed that portend to the strange events surrounding the appearance of a giant monster every Friday. And finally, when Friday evening falls the giant monster will appear right before your eyes.

5UMDoed.jpg,bm1WhQA.jpg

Art styles seems a bit inspired by Studio Ghibli, to me anyway. Apparently the gameplay consists of two styles. Walking around town, talking to people, collecting stuff, etc. And the other part of the game is a card battle game, I'm not a big fan of card games but the game looks pretty charming so I might pick it up down the line, not next week though, SMTIV comes out on the 16th and Shantae for GBC is also releasing on the 3DS virtual console on the 18th. I just felt like sharing since it seems like it will fly under the radar.

Posted

Pikmin 3 is one of the reasons I seriously want a Wii U

pheonix561 and T1g like this

Posted

Yeah Pikmin 3 and the Wonderful 101 are the only reasons for a Wii U, for me, at least. 

Well that and all the games announced at E3, but those are kinda a bit away.

Posted

Pikmin 3 is one of those games I absolutely don't want spoiled for me, even though I know its all going to be okay in the end because its a shigeru miyamoto game

T1g likes this

Posted

Pikmin 1 actually had 3 possible endings. A bad ending, where Olimar became a pikmin, A good ending, and also a perfect ending. Pikmin 3 probs has multiple endings as well.

Posted

I know it did, but it's still a shigeru miyamoto game. By which I mean, Wow, mario has to beat bowser to rescue peach? Wow, Link has to run through dungeons rescue Zelda? Wow, Olimar has to use pikmin to gather the items? Sure there's a few exceptions, but generally every series miyamoto is responsible involves variations of the exact same premise. Still loads of fun though, obviously.

Posted

It's not exactly a new myth. The "hero" trope, or the "princess and dragon" trope have been around far longer than we've been alive.

Everyone loves a good hero myth. Everyone. And we never get tired of them. Small variations of the same story and we eat it up.

Frankly, I'm glad we all agree to love this type of story and not something sinister/twisted. Everyone wants to feel like a hero, everyone wants to "get the girl," (which is just a side effect of saving her/the world. Really, you do it just because it is the right thing to do, with no expectation of reward) and everyone wants a happy ending.

We see this trope in games, movies, books, TV shows, cartoons, graphic novels, manga, etc. It's never going away and I think that's great.

People (feminists) often complain about the fact that women are usually the ones in distress. There are very logical reasons for women being the person needing the rescue. Let's keep in mind that these women being taken are almost always valuable in some form or fashion. Both Peach and Zelda are princesses, so they have a lot of power/wealth within their respective kingdoms. Often the girl is a relative of someone important to the story, such as the main hero's sister or girlfriend. A good reason Zelda is often captured is because she is extremely valuable to Hyrule, which collapses into ruin without her. She's spiritually and magically powerful, but physically weak, which makes her an easy, if somewhat elusive (Sheik), target for Ganondorf. Bowser seems physically attracted to Peach, which would explain why he occasionally captures her without harming the Mushroom Kingdom or her. Though, usually, his main goal is total domination of the kingdom, yet he still consistently refrains from harming Peach. Women tend to be both shorter and physically weaker than men, so it makes sense that they would be easier targets for capture. Bad men (as 99% of evil people in stories tend to be men) would also usually be attracted to women and would keep them as prizes, rather than just kill them.

There are awesome stories with heroines too, such as most Metroid games, or the new Tomb Raider. I think the new Tomb Raider presents an extremely realistic take on a heroine. Lara tends to keep her feminine qualities intact while still remaining a badass killer. She's vulnerable, but ruthless. Cunning, but shy. It really was a refreshing experience to play as her. Samus, too, is fun to play as simply because you don't feel like a "girl" when you play as her. You just feel like a person. A badass space pirate destroying person. Ellie from The Last of Us is also a very realistic portrayal of a girl in a video game. The entire time I never felt like her personality was forced or unnatural for a teenage girl. She was strong, but she was still a little girl. Without spoiling the ending too much, let me just say that Joel and I felt the exact same way walking into that room.

I think, eventually, we will have plenty of games with heroines of all shapes, sizes, and personalities. With men, you have Link on one end of the spectrum, and Duke Nukem on the very far other end lol. Link is silent, humble, brave, intelligent, selfless, empathetic, and just generally the best possible guy you can imagine. Duke Nukem is a crass, sexist, gun-toting foul-mouthed meathead that, apart from his often humorous one-liners, is hardly endearing. Nathan Drake leans more to the Link side, Dante from DMC leans more to the Duke Nukem side. You also have to think about the anti-heroes, such as Kratos. I don't think there exists a more one dimensional character that I hate more than Kratos.

With recent ladies in gaming such as Samus, Lara, Ellie, Clementine (Walking Dead), The Boss (MGS), Peach, Zelda, Elena&Chloe (Uncharted), etc. I think we actually have quite a diverse lineup of heroines and I feel like the argument falls quite flat. 

What I'm wondering is where are all the women grunts??? I kill men 99.9% in games. Women antagonists are either the leading antagonist or part of an elite squad. There's never any bumbling idiot lackey women. Except for, er, Pokémon of all things. O.o

Also, sorry for the long rant. What prompted this was a conversation I had earlier with a coworker and I had to get my thoughts typed out. Props if you read it!

Posted

ALL I WAS TRYING TO SAY WAS THAT ALL OF MIYAMOTO'S GAMES INVOLVE THE EXACT SAME PREMISE WITH A TWIST

You're definitely right about the women grunts though. That's something I'm patiently waiting to see.

Posted

Metal Gear Solid 4 had the Haven Troopers. They were all female grunts.

Haven_TrooperMGS4.jpg

I can't think of any other games to have female grunts though.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Dragon Nest's Dark Elf Assassins are all female.

Lydia.png

they aren't really grunts, but they are basic "minion" type mobs

Posted

In a way they are; they're the lowest of the warriors in an all female group since all dark elves are female.