Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Game Of Thrones[SPOILERS]: The "Not the Books" Thread WITH HUGE SPOILERS

157 posts in this topic

Posted

Rhllor to my knowledge doesn't have a "kill everyone" interpretation

Posted

My original point Teto was referring to was that the mad king's whole affliction deal was his hearing voices commanding him to burn things. The big thing that caused Jaime to kill him was that he had just commanded his dudes to go blow up all of King's Landing with wildfire. Even when he was dying, he kept saying the same "Burn them All" deal. That, along with other things like varys talking about being castrated by a wizard dude, who spoke into the fire and then they heard a voice coming from the flame and etc. What I'm saying is, from my standpoint, it looks like hearing voices coming from fire means you're being spoken to by the lord of light, and the lord of light, apparently, wants to puppying massacre everyone for some reason I don't pretend to understand. It's entirely possible I'm missing some things though.

Posted

I'm not so sure about the voices and stuff; Aerys just being a nutter satisfies me as an explination. I just think there's a kind of duality between Ice and Fire in the series which will be relevant at the end. Not sure how, but I like to think that with the nature of the series it will be more subtle than the gods outright telling them to do stuff.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

You're probably right. You know the series way better than I do after all.

Posted

I think the fire thing is more related to his bloodline. Fun fact, one of his ancestors thought drinking wildfire would turn him into a dragon. He was misinformed.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Oh yeah, I remember Geoffrey mentioning that sometime in season 3, that was great.

Posted

wow okay, so I finally decided to watch my way through the second half of season 3 after putting it off for the whole summer. just finished the rains of castamere. wooooooooooooow. i am just gaping at my screen. i even knew what was going to happen because the internet doesn't understand how not to spoil the shit out of everything. but. damn. was brutal to sit through. can't really say anymore than that. this is probably a good time to go to sleep. wow.

also my five favourite characters atm

1. olenna tyrell
  2. sansa
  3. cersei
  4. brienne
  5. margaery/bran i can't choose

honourable mentions: the usual favourites of internet nerds (daenerys, tyrion, jon etc), varys, davos, the hound, ygritte, melisandre, jaime, shireen baratheon omigosh what a tragic woobie cutie, i'll just. stop here before i end up listing the majority of the characters why are the characters in this series so wonderful to watch/read about. even though most of them are just. depressing. ):

also everyone go read these silly "if GoT Season 3 was set on Facebook" episode recaps immediately they're great. so goofy. and a good way to cheer myself up after Yet Another Depressing Series of Unfortunate Events

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Not even an honourable mention for Arya? Having read the books, it's a bit more difficult to feel much for characters that aren't title characters to be honest. Like, Margery barely even has much presence besides mentions of her exploits in other peoples' chapters. I actually had to look up Shireen Barathen, but now I did I remember her well. She was a nice, unfortunate character. I did like Ygritte too from reading her scenes. Now I think about it, I do get a good feel for a lot of the characters. 

Just not Margery, because

She's only ever mentioned by people who see her as a new face, or a potential threat. Sansa gets the most up-close scenes with Margery, but even then, after Sansa marries Tyrion, Margery makes no contact with Sansa at all, suggesting that Margery was only ever interested in Sansa in order to marry her off to her brother and claim Winterfell. So because of that I take a dim and suspicious view of her. She seems like she's just keeping up appearances to me; I'm not too sure what her agenda really is. It might give you a better idea of what she's about on the TV show though, but in the book it's left me a bit in the dark, so far as I can remember.

My favourite character is Ramsay, hands down and chopped off.

Not really. I dunno who my favourites would be. Can't even confidently say someone like Arya, because all the characters are good. Honestly a lot of characters who don't have a lot of big responsibilities have fun chapters to read; people like Jon and Dany have tons of political chatter in their chapters, and more chapters than most other characters. Bran, Samwell, Theon, Arya, Sansa, and some others have more personal storylines, and I prefer those, though not necessarily the characters.

And Cascade, I get the feeling you'll like the Sand Snakes when they eventually show up. Badass Dornish sisters. They probably wont do much until like season 5 or something, but knowing the show, it'll probably give you more glimpses of them than the book does, even if they don't arrive until season 5.

Posted

Welp. Thats that. I'm caught up in the books

Posted

I'm a little over halfway through Dance with Dragons part 2. I also decided recently that Dolorous Edd is definitely the best side character.

Posted

"Of course they'd say i'm the best side character. Good side characters die. At least people know me. But then they're just gonna complain i'm not in the show"

I love dolorous edd too.

Posted

DWD pt 2

"Place was overrun with rats when we moved in. The spearwives killed the nasty buggers. Now the place is overrun with spearwives. There’s days I want the rats back."

Posted

Still haven't finished season 3 but my group wants to start over with season 1 to bring new people into it. This'll give me time to snag season 3 on blu-ray, since I own 1 and 2 on blu-Ray as well.

Posted

A little late but

tumblr_n3c632oW3M1qft31ko1_500.png

Cant wait for season 4. And after this next episode I'll finally be able to read this thread! <3

Teto likes this