New Smashbros Discussion Thread

715 posts in this topic

Posted

So basically puppy Corrin because the last thing we needed was another anime sword fighter character from Fire Emblem (let alone a fire emblem game that has not even been localized yet). I'm super stoked about Bayo though. She was really topping the charts and was a super popular character. Also, her playstyle looks rad! She gets a counter that instead of doing damage, slows down the enemies caught in it, which makes it very useful and effective. She also seems to be very combo heavy, which is also great. I look forward to playing as her in the future.

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

Bayonetta is really a rad choice, I can't fault that. I like that she's being recognised as an important character for Nintendo. I hope she stays that way. Nice to have more icons.

SilverAlchemic and T1g like this

Posted

Is Bayonetta a popular character in Europe and Japan? If so that's a little unfair for those in NA. Like I said, I've never heard of her before hand.

Posted

She's newish, but popular enough. A spiritual successor to Devil May Cry I think. Her first game was multiplatform, but the sequel was Wii U exclusive, so it's like she's basically one of the gang. Like a cool transfer student who everybody wants to talk to, asking questions about other consoles countries.

It'd be nice if her franchise continued to be good and stuck around on Nintendo consoles. Putting her in Smash is maybe to do with that. Like Corrin. So they're both publicity choices, potentially.

T1g and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

Sakurai said that in Brawl, when designing Snake, he didn't want to focus on guns. So Snake ended having a lot of explosive moves. Then puts Bayonetta in Smash 4, who uses four guns apparently

pheonix561 and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

yeah she uses 4 guns but they are usually used in more fantastical and explodey ways

Posted

Couldn't it be said that Corrin was just added in order to get people hyped for the game in the same way that shulk was? Not that they're bad characters or whatever, but it seems like that would be a good reason for nintendo to want to make sure to include them.

SilverAlchemic and Teto like this

Posted

Couldn't it be said that Corrin was just added in order to get people hyped for the game in the same way that shulk was? Not that they're bad characters or whatever, but it seems like that would be a good reason for nintendo to want to make sure to include them.

I think that's half true. In the West it's to build hype for the upcoming game, while in Japan it's to capitalize on the success of the game that came out not too long ago. So Nintendo gets to have it both ways.

Posted

If 5 separate characters didn't build up hype in the west, I don't know if a 6th one would. 

They could have put Monster Hunter in the game. She/he could have had a bunch of weapons just like Corrin has. 

Capcom wanted to keep Monster Hunter out of Marvel vs. Capcom. I wonder if they considered this option. 

I have a theory that Fire Emblem games must be really easy to make. You just rehash the same thing over and over, change the dialogue, change the sameface anime characters up a bit and you have a completely new game.

Posted (edited)

Actually they rework parts of the formula with every iteration of the game. This upcoming one completely overhauls the weapon triangle and weapon material systems, in addition to no classes and three different story routes with what I can only assume are different maps

as someone who has played a lot of fire emblem, I can assure you that the games have enough additions and changes to them to make them different experiences.

Edited by T1g (see edit history)
LLmao ?✊? likes this

Posted

Yeah, even games that are direct sequels to each other can have wildly different mechanics. Path of Radiance didn't let you choose what your character's class leveled into, but would sometimes let you choose things like, in the case of mages, letting them use either priest's staves or knives(always use staves who the puppy puts knives on a wizard). Or a cavalier might only be capable of using swords, but when they level up they can learn a new weapon, and that could be either axes, lances, or bows. Things like that.

Then Radiant Dawn rolls around, and suddenly you don't have any control over your character classes, but they level up twice instead of once. So your soldier unit could turn into a halberdier, and then again into a sentinel, if I remember my classes correctly. Or a Fighter turns into a Warrior turns into a Reaver. A Myrmidon into a Swordmaster into a Trueblade.

And it's always just crazy new mechanics like that. Awakening let you change people classes sideways. And now there's this crazy new bullshit with no classes altogether and a completely overhauled weapons triangle??? I honestly can't fathom it.

Posted

i was talking about shit like the multigenerational campaign in Genealogy of the Holy war which inspired Awakening's system, and ALSO had gargantuan maps the size of 4 3ds maps

or the way that the console games (especially radiant dawn, which included things like holding the line and surviving enough turns) Radiant dawn also messed with the formula a lot, added multiple battle elevations with bonuses and penalties, and ultimately made Haar the most overpowered motherpuppyer in history. the speedrun of the game predominately relies on using him and only him

Posted

I feel like this needs to be watched by more than just me.

Teto likes this

Posted

Isn't this the guy that hated Rosalina so much that he ordered 100 Rosalina amiibos just so no one else could have them?

Fierce Muffin and Teto like this

Posted

It's funny how he called Bayonetta eye candy. She isn't even that attractive. She looks like one of those librarians you'd see in a movie who's supposed to be smart, but not the least bit attractive.