Post pictures of the life that surrounds you

298 posts in this topic

Posted

I have to wonder who this Dylan fellow is

Posted

A DEAD MOTHERFUCKER

Posted

Pheo if you keep up like this then you are literally the villain of this story.

T1g likes this

Posted

well you know what Dylan rhymes with ;)

LLmao ?✊? likes this

Posted

billing? I don't get it

pheonix561 and Knuckle like this

Posted

Killin'?

Knuckle likes this

Posted

I bought a 1TB external hard drive, and researched the lives of typical hard drives. I am aware that the more you use these devices, the shorter their lives tend to be, which is why it's a bad idea to run media directly from them etc. but 50% of exHDs last about four years from typical use. But I want to play out its life as long as possible. So I pretty much use it as pure storage that I copypaste from to my Solid State Drive whenever I want to partake in media that I keep on it. I'll probably have a few exceptions for if I'm say, mixing music or something. But in order to keep my hard drive dust free and to give it better organization capabilites, at home and for travel, I kept the packaging and just cut a hole for the USB 3.0 slot.

8xoLC4D.jpg

The shelf hook thing it has allows me to hang it on one of my peg board's pegs when I'm not using it. It also gives it better stability on surfaces (hard drives are designed to run standing parallel to the ground) and protection from small drops. I'm going to add some air holes so it can ventilate better, though they're less necessary since I keep it plugged in like ten minutes max. The packaging also gives more convenient space to put the cable so I don't lose it when I'm going places.

Incidentally, the vent on top of my computer also pictured here has pantyhose backing it to act as a dust filter over my intake fan. I have pantyhose over the other intake fans' vents as well. It works magically, actually.

This article is part of the series on Sahaqiel's hyper-functional nature.

Posted

In other news people might actually care about, I gave my hamster a new habitat. She is a long-haired Syrian hamster named Syria.

Knuckle likes this

Posted

I didn't know you had a hamster???

Posted

Really it's Kaffles' hamster. But in order to not have her parents have the impression that she just impulsively buys cute small pets (she does) it's officially my hamster.

Posted

That looks so comfortable. Just burrowing through soft bedding like that.

Posted

Drilled the ventilation holes.

6FVoyCk.jpg

cwBJJhK.jpg

It's not perfect, but it'll do the trick probs. I contemplated putting a spare laptop cooler fan on the bottom, but I'd have to rig the power and stuff and I don't feel like wiring any extra stuff atm.

This article is part of the series on Sahaqiel's hyper-functional nature.

Posted

I made a mousetrap after happening upon mouse droppings. I used various Youtube videos to figure out a humane homemade mousetrap.

6qB51WA.jpg

6kzyUFa.jpg

Zsz40Fl.jpg

It has a little more room than the typical bottle build, and I cut out a hole and hot glued a window/airhole thing from a salt/pepper shaker cap.

Pretty much the food is wrapped around a push pin that holds a string that keeps the cap open. When the push pin is pulled from the inside the thing snaps closed.

Teto likes this

Posted

update: the mouse chewed through the rubber band and the string before entering the trap and stealing the entire push pin, leaving only two poops as evidence.  no other parts of the trap were harmed.

either that, or the mouse had a comrade that chewed the rubber band and string after the other mouse was trapped, and the snap mechanism on the trap failed, allowing it to open easily after the rubber bands were disabled

The first scenario is more likely because the door was opened much farther than it would have needed to be for a single mouse to escape through, so the mouse must have literally chewed the rubber band specifically, first, and then bit the string just in case. I didn't know mice knew general physical mechanisms like that. I reset the trap with three rubber bands this time, and put a plastic bag over the whole thing to obscure the trap's mechanisms. At the very least, now I know that the mouse/mice do attempt to pull the push pin, and I know that I can place the trap in that specific spot on the other side of this basement in order to lure them.

Teto likes this