Establishing Hyrule

566 posts in this topic

Posted

"I've heard horrible stories about him... He's worse than a Demon Lord. He holds unspeakable power and evil, according to legend," I say. "Are we going to have to fight him? If we are, we'll need some divine help..."

"I- I'm not sure," Fintan stutters, his voice shaky. "But my guess is, p-probably. He has some grand plan of evil, but I can't exactly figure it out."

"We will in time, I'm sure," I say. "Are Caoilainn and Melaina talking?"

"I think so," Fintan says. "Let's hope it goes well."

"For all our sakes," Sault says. We stand in silence for a minute or two, and then I speak.

"Caoilainn doesn't want her sight back," I say. "I told that if she wanted it, it was there, but she decided she didn't want to change." The other two look stunned. "I know. I felt the same, but I will support her, no matter what."

"That's sweet of you," Fintan says. "Although it shocked me a little bit, I can't say I'm surprised."

Silence falls again, and we walk over to the plaza, but on the opposite side, so we don't disturb Melaina and Caoilainn. They seem to be chatting amiably; at least neither one appears to want to kill the other. Melaina looks over and smiles at Fintan, another sign that it seems to be going okay. They might not immediately become friends again, but at least they seem to be building bridges. 

Posted

"I'm just... glad we're on good terms again," I say with a sigh.

"Me too," says Melaina. "I'm sure the rest of them will be happy to hear it too. They're just across from here."

We stand up and, to my surprise, Melaina takes my hand. She steers me to where I hear Fintan and the others talking.

"Well, you two look quite content," Sault remarks.

"We're all sorted," Melaina says, and I smile at hearing her confirm it.

"So, guys," I speak up tentatively. "What does Skyloft look like?"

Posted

"It's so... peaceful." Sault answers. That really is the most prominent thing about it, given how even the Sheikah camp on the surface has a constant state of uneasy vigilance. Even with all the horrible things that happened recently, this place remains care-free and happy; it's almost like Skyloft can never be in distress. 

Suddenly, Link comes running up to the rest of the group, looking a bit distressed. "We need to meet with the Headmaster Gaepora. Apparently it's something important." There's an exchange of nervous glances as they hear about something unsettling Zurin had discovered recently and conveyed to the Knight Academy. "The headmaster requested the eight of us, but if you all don't mind I'd like Fintan and myself to speak on everyone's behalf." Link continues as they reach the main doors. Everyone agrees to this, and they quickly file into the headmaster's office to hear the news.

"Welcome. I trust those of you whom I've never met will forgive my rudeness, but we need to speak bluntly." Headmaster Gaepora began with haste. Sault had never met his friends' mentor and (he presumed) de facto leader of Skyloft, but the man certainly looked the part. "I called upon both the Sheikah and their companions this evening to discuss a pressing matter. Our ally Zurin has been making trips to the center of the island to measure and study the magical energy that keeps it afloat. His studies have found some evidence that threatens citizens of the sky and surface. Soon, at an undetermined time, Skyloft will run out of magical energy and plummet from the sky. Impact with the surface will probably devastate all of Faron Woods, perhaps even the entire surface."

Posted (edited)

"I was under the impression that the Goddess put an eternal spell on the land," I say. "And now you're saying that the power is... diminishing?"

The Headmaster nods, his expression stern. "We don't know what's causing it, but there's more than just Skyloft at stake. I've only been down to the Surface a few times, but I understand there's more than just the Sheikah and the Hylians living down there..."

Link nods. "There's also Parella, Kikwis, Gorons... it would take all day to list them all."

"I see..." The Headmaster mutters, his expression stern.

"Hold on..." I say, pulling the Demons plans from the pocket within my breast plate. I glance them over, trying to figure something out.

"What is it?" Sault asks, glancing over.

"The Demonic plans were based around five key players who were summoned by Majora: Blagdan, Ardaia, Caoilainn..."

"Who's next?" Link asks, his brow creased.

"The name is..." I pause, squinting. "Avani... and according to the plans, her power revolves around the earth. It's elemental power, one of the strongest kinds to be found..."

Link narrows it's eyes. "What do you want to bet that she's got something to with this?"

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

Avani... The name sounds faintly familiar, but nothing comes to mind. Power surrounding the earth, the power to bring Skyloft to the ground.

"How can we find her..?" Zelda wondered aloud.

"We'd likely feel her before we saw her," I say. The others don't make a sound, and I imagine puzzled expressions.

"I mean..." I trail off, not knowing exactly how to explain. "It's like when Fintan meditates and reads auras. When I first met Blagdan, there was power rolling off of him. Majora... I can't even begin to describe that."

"That makes some amount of sense," Fintan says. "I think I know what you're saying. We'll need to be especially attentive, in that case."

I nod. "She could be anywhere..."

Posted

"I haven't noticed anything recently," I say. "But I'll let you know if I notice anything, and Fintan will too." He nods.

"At this point, we can either go looking for this Avani person, or we can wait for it to come to us," Fintan says. "What do you guys think?"

"It's not what anyone will want to hear," Link says, "But I think we have to go find this thing. By the time it gets here, it would probably be too late to stop it."

"I agree, as much as I don't like the thought of it," I say. "Any objections?" No one says anything for a few seconds, but then Melaina speaks up, addressing Caoilainn.

"Caoilainn," she begins. "Can you honestly still fight? I don't want anyone getting hurt that doesn't have to." There is no malice in her voice; she honestly cares about Caoilainn. They truly have rebuilt friendship, I think to myself, pleasantly surprised. Caoilainn hesitates a moment before replying.

"...I'm not sure. I haven't really tried any combat moves since I lost my sight. Is there some kind of training area up here where I could try?" she asks.

"Yeah, there's one at the Knight Academy," I say, leading the way. We all arrive at the small training dojo not long after.

"The targets spin around when you hit them, so be careful," I say.

"I will," she replies, and she settles into her fighting stance.

Posted (edited)

We've not been sat for long in the Knight Academy dining hall when Caoilainn returns, Leoni helping to guide her. She beaming, despite the earlier events

"It's all fine," she says, sounding rather proud. "Ardaia, for all his faults, taught me to fight blindfolded. I can do this." Her smile falters for a second at the mention of Ardaia, but she puts it back quickly.

"That's great!" Melaina says with a grin.

I take a sip of the hot tea that Zelda made for us all, thinking for a moment. "I know that we're all planning on finding Avani... and I agree that it's the best course of action, but we don't want to get ahead of ourselves. I think the first thing we need to do is talk to Sheik."

"I agree," Sault says. "Briefing the tribe leader is smart."

"Not only that," I say. "But Sheik faced Avani once before, that's how I knew about her elemental power. He was a young warrior at the time, working in a group... but he knows her powers, or, at least, what they used to be. I couldn't tell you what happened, but if we speak to him, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help us."

"Sounds perfect," Leoni says. He reaches under the table, grabbing his satchel. "I say we waste no more time, let's head out!"

We all finish of our drinks and the Hylians gather their gear. Within a matter of moments, we're all ready to head out.

The group make their way to the door, everyone engaging in smaller conversations. I give Melaina a smile, reaching out to squeeze her hand, but before my fingers touch hers I feel a hand snake around my other arm. I turn, surprised, to find Caoilainn.

"Who've I got?" she asks tentatively.

"Uhh... m- me, you've got Fintan," I stutter.

"I've got you," Melaina says, slipping behind me and taking Caoilainn's arm from mine. She offers me an apologetic smile as I scrub a hand through my hair. I push forward to the front of the group, suddenly feeling out of place. I can't help but listen as Melaina and Caoilainn quietly converse, and it makes my heart plummet like a stone. Everyone else can do it, everyone else can make it okay, even Melaina. But every time she speaks to me, I feel like she's clawing at my stab wound. This isn't how a leader should act. This isn't how a leader should feel.

This isn't how I should feel.

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

"Well, hopefully you can do something to improve things with Fintan," Melaina says comfortingly. I take my hand from her and find Zelda. She guides into a run and we fall for a short time before we land on her Loftwings.

She doesn't say anything to me as we fly, and I find that I rather enjoy the silence. Well, aside from the tremendous noise of the wind.

We touch down on the surface and I wriggle my toes in the grass, happy to be on land.

"Fintan and I should probably speak for us again," Link says, and we give our agreement. "Caoilainn, he'll probably want to see your injury."

I nod. "Okay. Let's get to it, then."

Posted

"What do we do in the meantime?" Sault asks. 

"Well since we have everything ready, let's just relax a bit and wait," Link says. He puts his arm around Zelda and they sit down. The rest of us do the same. 

"Are you ok?" I ask Fintan. I'm quite worried about him...

He tries to smile, but I can see through it. 

"Fintan..." I say softly.

"Not now... Ok?" he says. 

I nod. "Sure." I don't know what to say to him... I should help him but... how? 

"I've been thinking," Zelda says calmly. 

"What?" Link asks her. 

"Maybe I'm able to do something about Caoilainn's eyesight..." she ponders.

"Why do you think that?" Sault asks. 

"Well, it's certain that I have some healing powers, but I just don't know how strong they are..." 

"She doesn't want it healed," I sigh. 

"I know... But maybe I can improve her hearing or something... I just... I wish I knew more about my powers so I could be more useful..." she sighs. 

"Zelda..." Link says softly and he hugs her. 

Posted

"Zelda... I know Caoilainn would appreciate it, but for now, she just wants to leave things as they are. Trust me, I feel the same. I would do anything to help her get her sight back, but if she doesn't want it, then you can't make her. I imagine that someday she might want to see again, but that time is somewhere in the future. For now, leave things be, and whenever she asks for help or guidance, be there. That's the best way to help," I say. Her face drops a little, but in understanding. Then something in her snaps.

"I just don't want to be left behind! I hear about these terrible enemies and battles you guys face, but I can't even help! It's the most horrible feeling, seeing your friends hurt around you and you can't even fight...." she trails off. 

"Well, if you want, either Link or I could teach you some swordfighting moves. That's about all I'm good for. Everything else I know is from books!" I say, chuckling, and a small smile crosses her face. 

"Thanks, I'd like that," she says.

Posted

"And I can give you some archery training if you'd like me to," I smile to her. 

"Thanks, but I don't think that will be needed," she laughs. 

I give her a questioning look. 

"Oh sorry, I guess I never showed or told anyone but Link," she apologizes. "Hylia was a natural with bow and arrow, so I am too."

I can hit myself, Hylia's been illustrated countless times with her sacred bow and light arrows. "Of course."

"But thank you anyway", she smiles.

"That's ok," I smile too. "But why have I never seen you use a bow before?" I ask. I can't help to be curious because it does seems weird.

She shrugs. "I don't have one myself, Link needs his one and you guys do too."

"Oh but I can make you one," I say. 

"That would be too kind," she responds.

"I'll make you one when I have the time," I smile.

"Thank you," she says softly. I'm not sure, but her response didn't seem so... honest. Not that she's lying, she's a goddess reborn, she would never do that in my eyes, but more like she's not saying something. But I decide to let it go because I think that if Zelda thinks it's not important enough to tell us, that she must be right.

Posted

Wait a minute... weapons! "Guys, what are we going to do about fighting a Demon Lord? We only have one weapon that can hurt them!" Sault asks. It's a good point, since only Leo has a sword that can cut a Demon Lord's hide, and they have at the very least one more to kill. "What about my arrows? They worked on Ardaia." Melania replies, but Sault disagrees. "That was only an illusion, there's no way you could have actually killed him." 

It's clear that nobody wants to spend time looking for the answer to a problem that might have no solution, but everyone generally agrees that if an opportunity presents itself, they'll get some more items that can kill demons. Until then, either Leo can continue to kill all the Demon Lords they run into or he can trade weapons with someone else as he pleases. "I guess it can't be helped, but if we get the chance I want to get some better gear, fighting an earth-controlling Demon Lord with only one good sword is asking for death." Sault warns.

Posted

(( I'm so sorry for the lack of recent replies... I'm sitting my A-level exams right now and by some hideous twist of fate all of my exams are in one week :'( So PRESSURE right now... but it'll all be over on Friday and I'll only have to go in for my drama classes for three weeks after that! Anyway, I just wanted to explain, I swear I'm not just being lazy! ))

I run a hand through my hair, feeling the stress begin to creep in. "Look," I say, sighing. "I think we're all agreed that we're just not ready to face Avani yet. Caoilainn needs more training, as does Zelda, and we all need better weaponry. Not to mention the fact that we need to know more about her first. My advice is that we stay here for a few days. Sault, Link and Bryarly will need to time to recover after the ordeal they've been through, as will Caoilainn. I wasn't even supposed to be on the mission today. I think the smart thing to do is rest and recover. We'll resume the mission when we're ready."

At that moment, Caoilainn makes her way out of the back room of the temple. Sheik has cleaned her wounds and greets us all with a stern expression, his hands on his hips.

"You've all got some serious explaining to do. First of all, some of you have had an awful attitude to Caoilainn," he cuts Melaina a glare. "Personal issues should be put aside, you shouldn't allow this to affect your work! Secondly, you all go rushing off on a mission without first briefing me - despite, Fintan, my expressly forbidding you leaving the camp. And then, when you finally return home, I find that one of my best warriors has been blinded."

The room is silent, no one dares to meet Sheik's gaze. "Well?!" he snaps. "Start talking!"

Posted

"If I may something at this point..." I begin.

"Yes..." Sheik says, growing impatient.

"We didn't exactly choose to leave. After you left your tent, Ardaia teleported in, grabbed Caoilainn and I, and teleported us to the tower where Link, Sault, and Bryarly were. The others were already captured when we were taken. We fought as hard as we could, and I killed Ardaia, but one of the Demon Lords got to Caoilainn, and..." I trail off, trying to contain my sorrow. Sheik nods in understanding. 

"Well? Is this true?" Sheik asks, trying to determine whether or not I am trying to cover for the group. As he looks around the room, everyone nods, even Caoilainn. Sheik sighs out of frustration and mumbles something unintelligible to himself, and Caoilainn speaks up. 

"There is one good thing out of this, though," she says.

"And what would that be?" Sheik says, almost sarcastically.

"Ardaia taught me to fight blindfolded. So I can fight fairly well, even though I can't see."

"That makes things a little better, but I still have a huge mess to deal with, plus this whole Avani business," Sheik says. "I don't even know what to do." I've never heard Sheik so unconfident before. Every time he's made a decision, it has been firm and decisive, like he knows what he's doing. But this time, I can tell he truly has no idea what to do. 

"To start, we need more weapons that can slay demons. All we have is Leoni's sword, and 1 sword defending 8 people seems like a recipe for disaster," Sault says. 

"Demon slaying weapons? Finally, something I can actually handle," Sheik says

Posted

((Don't worry too much Nayru, I was in the same boat a few weeks back. Good luck with your exams!))

Sault was taken off guard by Shiek's rather calm demeanor; he would have never expected an easy fix to this problem. Wouldn't they need something like the Master Sword to kill a Demon Lord? "Demise's progeny are magically enhanced creatures; their hides are protected by sorcery rather than biology. To kill one, you need a weapon with interweaved magic that opposes theirs." The elder Sheikah continued. "I'm certain you all realize the answer is the Goddess' magic." Link seemed to realize that and more. "Come to think of it, I've heard about remodeling weapons and armor with something called a Goddess Plume. Maybe if we got some of those?"

Sault perked up at the mention of Goddess Plumes. "Sheik, don't we have some of those on hand for worship? It's only a scarce few, but they're a start." Fintan looked severely bothered by the idea of using Sheikah relics in a weapon, but Sheik cut him off. "If we must, then so be it. I'll gather the plumes while you decide amongst yourselves the make and ownership of the weapon."