Establishing Hyrule

566 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I raise a kick at the Demon Lord on my case, sending him stumbling back. I'm in no fit state to fight: my stab wound throbs and this demon won't quit - I don't know how much longer I can hold out for. And that's when I hear a blood curdling scream. The Demon that's attacking me stops, glancing over his shoulder. Caoilainn is on the ground, head in hands, dribbles of blood on the ground all around her. The Demon Lord that stands over her straightens up, turning to look at his fellow guards.

"I've done what we came for... let's not waste any more time."

There's a few collective grunts, and then they vanish in a series of random teleportation spells. Leaving us alone, each and every one of us watching Caoilainn. Blood dribbles between her fingers as she wails. I feel distinctly uncomfortable, I don't know what to do. No one else moves to comfort her, I don't think they know how. But this is my mission - I need to take control of the situation.

I make my way over to her, gently kneeling down in front of her, placing a hand on her shoulder. She flinches at my touch, but doesn't remove her hands from her face.

"Caoilainn," I say, being careful to keep my tone even. "It's okay, they're gone."

But she still won't move.

"Are you hurt?" I ask, leaning a little closer.

Not a word.

"Look at me," I say, firm.

"I can't..." she sobs.

So I reach up, gently taking her hands and pulling them down from her face. And then I realise what she meant, and my stomach lurches at the sight. She collapses onto my shoulder then, wailing and wailing endlessly, her arms wrapped around me. I shift, still not entirely comfortable in her presence.

Stop it, I think to myself. I wrap and my arms around her, forcing myself to hug her back.

"You'll be ok," I say, though I don't make any promises.

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

((WOW, that was incredibly intense guys! Nice writing! :o ))

Learning about the cruelty of demons was a natural part of Sault's education; he'd learned they were merciless, inflicting horrors upon their victims before killing them and using weapons that excelled at causing pain. None of that prepared him for the sight of Caoilainn, bleeding and in severe shock from losing one of her most vital senses. He didn't dare approach Leoni, who was quivering with so much rage he'd probably explode any second. There was nothing Sault could do, no way to save his friends from pain or take them away from this awful desert.

After a while of consoling their friend Link pulled Sault over to discuss the situation. "I don't want to make Caoilainn do anything else, but maybe we can use that crossbow to save ourselves. Feel like trying it out?" he asked, and Sault nodded in reply. Their location resembled an abandoned facility of some kind, and when asked Link confirmed it was a Shipyard he'd visited on his travels. "And where there's a shipyard," he continued, "There has to be a ship. Try firing there." Sault pulled the trigger and landed a hit on one of the planks of a nearby dock, restoring it along with a few boats tied there. Yanking the bolt out of the plank, they now had a portable Timeshift Stone which Sault fastened to one of the boats so it wouldn't disappear. At least one crisis had been solved...

Posted

((OH. MY. GOD. That was amazing writing. Killed me inside though... Will try to post at some point tonight))

Posted

This can't be happening. I can't think straight, I can't move, I can't even breathe from pure shock. I try to convince myself that it's all a dream, that I'll wake up and all this will be gone. But I don't. I start to cry, realizing that this is all really happening around me and there isn't a thing I can do to help. I haven't felt this alone and helpless since my parents died. All I can think about is the day of the fire. I silently pray to Hylia that there is some way that Caoilainn can get her sight back... 

((Sorry for shortness, just really busy today!))

Posted

I sink into Fintan's embrace, extremely grateful. Cautious as it is, I appreciate it. 

But I can't see, and that is something I can't shake easily. So much has happened in such a short time, my mind is overloaded with clashing emotions and swirling thoughts.

Pushing myself away from Fintan, I turn and vomit, ashamed but unable to stop myself now. I can feel the rest of them watching me, and I quickly straighten, wiping my mouth without much dignity.

"Caoilainn," Link's voice comes from somewhere to the right, and I turn in the general direction. "We've found a way to move out of this area; it's too dangerous to stay here, in open sight."

I nod, and stretch out my hand to where I imagine he's standing. He takes it and the group moves to what seems to be a boat; I can hear it bobbing on the water, and I step carefully inside, sitting down and curling myself up. 

Ardaia... I'd gotten close to him in such a short time, trained with him, trusted him and now... Now I feel betrayed, as if there's an empty space somewhere inside of me. 

I shake as my body trembles with little whimpers and other such pathetic noises. No tears, not anymore. I think back to when Ardaia teleported into the middle of the tent, smiling at me before we were whisked away. And then it was blank, and then... then he was dead, lying in front of me as he'd done before. How... how had he done it? 

"Guys," I speak up. "Can someone... can someone please fill me in a little bit..?"

Posted

"Ardaia wasn't just a goon for Blagdan," Sault responded, "he was a major Demon Lord. A master of mind alteration and illusions. He tricked everyone into thinking he'd died before so he could test your loyalty. Don't worry though; Leo got him with that sword of his, so he's dead for good." 

"We don't know what he was after besides revenge, he just mind controlled you and tried to kill us." Link added, "We do know all of his affection for you was a trick; you would've been his tool if he'd gotten his way. Still, I'm sorry it came to this." Caoliainn seemed to understand, but Sault guessed she was far from okay with it. Losing her sight, seeing a person she cared about die twice, learning she was just a pawn in the demon's game... no one deserved all that.

Posted

Link takes control of the boat, being the only one familiar with sailing. He guides the wooden contraption across the clear blue water that surrounds it in a strange bubble. It's strange to see that this vast expanse of sink sand was once such a beautiful ocean. I sit near to the edge of the boat, watching the scenery roll past us.

I feel Melaina slip her hand into mine. I turn to find her stood next to me, the wind blowing the loose strands of hair back from her face. Her amber eyes watch me carefully as her fingertips trace circles on the back of my hand.

"Are you okay?" she asks.

I nod. "Of course I'm ok."

Her lips press together as she tilts her head. "Fintan, I wish you wouldn't lie to me."

"Fine," I say. "It's just the wound, I swear."

"And you?" I ask.

She laughs. "Are you kidding me? I'm always ok."

Though she can't hide the soft ache in her eyes as we pull closer to the land.

"Ok..." Link says. "What do we think... head for the Sky? It's be much quicker to get back to the Sheikah camp that way."

Posted

"That makes sense to me. Besides, there's something else I want to figure out up there," I say, speaking for the first time since we left the tower. Everyone nods agreement, and Link sails to the nearest Bird Statue, the one at the harbor.

The ride is long, so I turn to Sault. 

"I have a question about Batreaux," I say. 

"Yeah? What do you want to know?" he asks, curiosity clearly piqued.

"When he went from Demon to Human, he got a new body, right?" I ask, shaking a little in anticipation.

"I'm not exactly sure. I know his appearance changed to a human form, but I don't know if the body was new or just altered," he replies. "Why do you ask?"

"If Caoilainn can transform the same way Batreaux did, and he got a new body, then she might get her eyesight back," I say. Sault's face lights up in realization. 

"That's clever; like I said, I can't be sure. But it would make sense," Sault says.

"That's why I want to ask him; he might know more. All we can do now is pray to Hylia and wait," I say, finishing with a heavy sigh. We finally dock at the harbor, and Link and I guide Caoilainn to the Bird Statue. 

"Who would you feel most comfortable riding with once we're up in the Sky?" Link asks.

Posted

"I'll... I'll just go with Leoni," I say, placing my hand on what I imagine is his.

"Alright," says Link. "Everyone ready?"

Before I know what's happening, I'm whisked into the air, a cry of surprise escaping me. Hanging onto Leoni, we land quite suddenly on what must be a Loftwing.

"Hold on tight," Leoni cautions, and I do as he says.

"We're headed for Skyloft, right?" I ask.

"Yep."

I try to envision it based on what I've read and heard from those who have lived there. It's quite warm, a gentle breeze stirring the air.

"Ready to land?" Link shouts. The others all seem ready, and I let Leoni take my hand before the bird underneath us almost vanished.

Our fall is softened by Leoni's Sailcloth, and I land relatively comfortably.

"Leoni," I say suddenly. "I don't want my eyesight healed."

Posted (edited)

It feels strange to be back in Skyloft. I don't know enough about this place to feel comfortable here just yet. Everyone splits up, Zelda, Link and Bryarly head back to the academy to catch up with their old friends, Sault and Leoni head off to find Zurin and Batreaux, claiming to have business to attend to - leaving Melaina and I with Caoilainn. I don't think it's right to leave her on her own at a time like this, but she doesn't seem to want to be in our company. Eventually, she settles down near the edge of the lake, dipping her toes into the water. Melaina and I sit far enough behind her to give her space, but close enough that we can keep an eye on her. We're sat just behind a pumpkin patch, our backs pressed up against the wall of what appears to be some kind of storage shed.

"How's the wound?" she asks.

I shake my head. "I don't want to talk about that," I reply, ignoring the dull ache.

"Ok..." she mutters, her eyes still fixed on Caoilainn's back. "Riddle me this. Why are you kidding yourself?"

I blink, startled by her abrupt response. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about how you're pretending that you're ok with Caoilainn. Looking after her, playing like you've still got her back..." I chew the inside of my cheek, not taking my eyes off the ground. "Why are you doing that to yourself?"

I sigh, pressing my eyes closed. "I appreciate your concern, and all you did for me with Caoilainn... but getting angry won't help. What, I shout at her? Scream? What good is that going to do?"

"It'll make her realise exactly how awful what she did is!" Melaina says. I can tell by her tone she's growing a little frustrated.

I glance at Caoilainn, my heart sinking into my stomach. "Don't you think she's lost enough?"

Melaina takes my hand, reassuring as ever. "Her losing something doesn't make what she did to you justified..."

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

I follow Sault down to the small house where Batreaux lives, underneath Skyloft. After the long climb down the ladder, we finally arrive. I knock on the door, and Batreaux answers it promptly. 

"Hello, gentlemen! Anything in particular I can do for you?" he asks, ushering us inside.

"We have a question to ask you," Sault says. "It's about your transformation."

"Okay, fire away," he says, leaning back into his chair.

"One of our friends is a Demon, and she lost her eyesight in a fight. We were wondering if you knew whether transforming from demon to human would allow her to see again," I say.

"Hmmm..." Batreaux says, pondering the question. "I'm not sure, but it would make sense. I know that when I transformed, I got new hair and skin, and my eyes changed color, but I don't know if I got new ones. Sorry if that's not much help," he says. Zurin appears in the room, startling us all a bit. 
"I am almost positive that it would. I've studied the transforming process a bit, and from what I can tell, it would restore her eyesight," Zurin says evenly.

"Thank you," I say. "That's good to know."

"Not a problem," Zurin says. 

We turn and leave, climbing back up to Skyloft's surface. I see Caoilainn sitting by the small lake, feet in the water, and Fintan and Melaina are holding hands a short distance away. I walk over to Caoilainn, and as I walk by Melaina and Fintan, I can hear them talking. 

"...nothing she could do would ever make what she did justified," Melaina says. "She has to pay." I stop, and turn to face Melaina, clearly angry, but trying to remain as calm and logical as possible. 

"Don't you ever say that. Friends don't go kicking each other when they're down. Caoilainn has paid more than enough. She's lost her family, Ardaia, that tree, and now her sight. It's okay to be angry for a while, but at some point, you have to forgive and move on. Spite will only make it worse. Now don't you ever think of harming my friend ever again, or I will make you pay more than she has, okay?" I say. Melaina nods weakly, and I turn and leave. I go sit next to Caoilainn on the shore. 

"We found out that you can get your sight back if you want, but I won't make you. Whatever you choose, I will support you and be there for you, okay?" I say.

Posted

"I don't want my sight back," I state. "I can work around it."

"Are you-?"

"I'm sure, Leoni," I say with a small smile. "Thanks, though."

I hear a sigh of relief from him, and then get up.

"Melaina," I call.

"To your left," Sault directs me. I turn and call her again.

There's a few moments silence, and I hear Fintan saying something quietly to her.

Finally I hear her footsteps approaching.

"Could we talk?" I ask. "... Alone?"

Posted

I blink a few times. I'm surprised to say the least, that she is the one that wants to talk. That's new. 

I glance at Fintan, and he nods. "Sure," I say. 

I'll try to listen to her. I won't get mad, I make myself promise. Though I'm not sure I can keep that...

I want to start walking when I realise that she doesn't know where I'm heading. 

"Err do you want me to take your hand or something?" I say, rubbing my neck. This will be awkward.

"Oh ehm, no... Just, give my directions," she decides. 

"Okay," I say, feeling a bit relieved.

I guide her to the plaza, which is luckily deserted, and we sit down on a bench. 

"So..." I sigh. What do I say? I can't ask why she wanted to talk to me, because that's pretty clear. But then what do I say? I decide to just not saying anything, I mean, she's the one that wanted to talk in the first place. 

Posted

"Alright," I begin. "I know that you're mad at me. Very mad, in fact."

"You got that right," she replies.

"You were right, when you said that what I did was wrong. It was terrible."

"You really hurt Fintan," she says, and I can hear the anger in her words.

"I know, I know," I say, sighing. "I know... but I was extremely agitated, and Fintan was asking me questions that I really didn't want to answer at that time."

Melaina waits, not saying anything.

"But Melaina, I didn't want to lose you. For a while now, I'd consider you a friend.... Something not easily done in my case. I know you feel strongly about Fintan, and that you'd give a lot to help him, but I don't want us to be enemies."

I pause, taking a deep breath. "The choice is entirely yours, of course. Words aren't my strong suit but.... I hope we can be on good terms again."

Posted

"This could end nastily..." I sigh as I watch Melaina and Caoilainn walk away.

"Or it could end really well," Sault says. "You never know."

"Good point," I say. "So... are you okay? I know the Demons can be pretty rough, how are you feeling?"

Sault nods. "I'm okay, actually. We managed to escape from the Demon's not too long after Caoilainn left, we were holed up in there trying to find a way to escape. I hate to admit it, but I don't know if we'd have managed it without Ardaia bringing Caoilainn to us."

"I suppose you're right," I say, a small smile tugging at the corner of my lips. Even if Caoilainn and I are struggling, I find it comforting that she still has friends amongst the group in Sault and the others, maybe even Melaina if their conversation goes well.

"Speaking of which..." Sault says, suddenly rummaging through his pouch. He pulls out some pieces of paper, half of them scribbled in a language I don't understand. "I found these in the Demon hold, I thought they might be important so I got Zurin to translate them. I don't know all of the people they're talking about... but it doesn't look good to me..." he hands me both the original texts and the translation, scrawled in Zurin's slanted script.

I read over the lines, picking out the key pieces of information. My stomach begins to twist inside of me as a picture begins forming in my mind, each piece of the puzzle slotting together. I understand now, their fascination with Caoilainn, what she said about Blagdan being just a henchman, about why Ardaia was disguised as just a mere guard. I glaze over the diagrams depicting the plans, the battle strategies...

"It's bigger than we thought, by the looks of it," Sault says, looking concerned.

And that's when my eyes fall on the image printed at the bottom of the last page. The spiked shape, the demonic colours, the harrowing, round eyes. For just a second I stop breathing.

"I still don't understand," Sault muses. "Who's Majora?"

"Majora..." I reply, my voice brittle. "Majora is... the living nightmare."