Establishing Hyrule

566 posts in this topic

Posted

"Caoilainn!" one of the younger Sheikah cries as a tremor shakes the earth, knocking us offbalance. "What do we do?!"

I freeze up momentarily; Fintan must have left if they're calling to me.

"Someone tell me what's happening!" I order. "Quickly!"

"There's Bokoblins everywhere!" one yells. "Heading for the forge!"

"Split yourselves in half!" I reply, trying to envision the situation in my mind. "Leoni and Melaina need as much coverage as is possible! We need defence here at the forge too! Those going forward, stick with Sault!"

Exhausted but relatively satisfied with my plan, I move back with the others, trying to keep my footing.

'And you, Caoilainn,' a voice penetrates my mind again. 'You're interesting, turning back and forth like that.'

'Out of my head, demon!' I fight back.

'Demon! That's just it, isn't it? We're one and the same; we hurt people, snuff out their lives. Why, we're doing it right now! Listen to their screams!'

'Get OUT!' I push against the weight of her power as I stumble along, biting into my lips so hard it starts to bleed.

Her laugh still circulates the camp, attacking us all.

Posted (edited)

"Fintan?" Melaina yells, squeezing my hand. "I was so worried."

"I'm okay," I call over the howling wind. From further away I hear the startled cries of the younger warriors. "I can't stay here... just stay safe," I plead. I give her a quick kiss before racing back over. My mind is still swirling. She killed my parents. Avani killed my parents. I'd heard the stories of the attack on the camp, I knew they'd been killed in the attack... but I never knew she was the one to raise the blade...

'It's fascinating, boy,' Avani's voice powers through my mind, causing me to stop in my tracks, halfway across the battlefield. 'I've never met a Sheikah who had the power to do that...'

"FINTAN! MOVE!" Leoni yells, wildly gesturing for me to get out of the way, but my feet feel like they're rooted into the ground. I snap my head around, glaring at Avani.

'Keep out of my head,' I growl, but my lips don't move.

Her laughter rings in my ears. 'But what really fascinates me is how you're still here... I knew you, felt your aura as I watched the life drain from your mothers eyes, and yet you stand before me now. The only Sheikah powerful enough to speak telepathically... how is that even possible?'

I press my fingers to my temples, willing her to leave me in peace.

"PLEASE FINTAN!" Melaina yells, dragging me back to reality. I pull my heavy legs into action, dashing back to the forge.

"What the hell was that?" Caoilainn asks.

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

"She killed Fintan's parents. Demons really are everywhere..." I say. "Are you okay?"

"Avani... She just gets in your head and changes the way you feel! It's maddening! I don't even know who I am anymore..." Caoilainn trails off. The silence between us is shattered by a crack of earth, and I pull Caoilainn back from the edge of the newly formed crack in the ground.

"Listen. The best way to fight it is to thinking of a time you were angry and channel that anger towards Avani's presence. You could even think of something stupid I did to you, as long as it's angry and it should work! ... I have to get back out there," I say, pointing to the chaos of elements behind me. I kiss her on the cheek, and then turn and run into battle, with more confidence flowing through me than I've ever had before.

Edited by ElwayGuy7 (see edit history)

Posted

The Skeikah numbers dwindled slowly as the battle raged on; there seemed to be almost no end to the hordes of Bokoblin and the front line was running out of energy. Thank goodness his friends and the other Sheikah had mostly scattered into the foliage, because Sault was running out of energy to protect them. It was all he could do to keep a line of defense intact that protected the forge.

Suddenly the entire world went chaotic as Sault found himself and the rest of the defenders tumbling through the air. Avani had apparently grown tired of this game, and now the elements at her disposal had scattered the Hylians, Sheikah, and the forge itself all over the battlefield. It was a grim sight, but nonetheless fortune had smiled on him because just out of his reach was the second blade that the smiths had been working on. It glowed pink as he picked the exotic weapon up and ran toward their adversary, but the Demon Lord was more than capable of stopping him. Avani motioned to the earth and effortlessly tore the ground open at Saults' feet, leaving him dangling from the cliff of the fissure. "Someone, anyone, help me out here!" he pleaded as his fingers already started to lose their grip.

Posted

My head snaps around as I hear Sault's plea, but I can't see him anywhere. That's when I notice the new crack that's ripped open in the earth. My stomach drops as I spot his fingers clinging to the edge. I break out into a run, dashing across the camp, leaping over the fallen pieces of the forge. As I reach the edge of the fissure, the sheer drop makes my stomach churn, but I don't have the time to hesitate.

I lay myself down on the ground to give good rooting before grabbing Sault's arms. His forehead is slick with sweat as he gives me a relieved smile, his feet scrabbling to find footing on the cliff edge, but there doesn't appear to be any. I put all my effort into heaving him out, and it looks like it's getting somewhere. But as his stomach reaches the top of the cliff edge, a strong gust of wind blows through and makes me lose my grip. Sault lets out a yelp as he drops down again, his chin smacking into the edge on the way down. He manages to get a grip with one hand at the last second.

"Sorry..." I gush, wiping my palms on my leggings. I reach down and grip onto his arm, but that's when I feel a shadow over my shoulder. I glance around, expecting the worst, but it's Sheik who lays down beside me, taking Sault by the other arm.

"On three," he says. "One, two, three!"

We haul together, and it's still no easy task to drag him back up, but it's easier with two doing the lifting. As soon as he's able, Sault throws himself back up onto the grass. His fingers cling to the ground like he's afraid he'll tumble right off again.

"Thank you," he says between pants for breath.

I'm about to tell him not to mention it, when suddenly a blur of blonde rushes past us, wearing a fierce expression of determination. I scrabble to my feet, chasing after Zelda as she storms towards Avani.

"Don't put yourself within her reach!" I yell.

"Trust me!" she shouts back, before turning to face Avani.

"Avani, Demon Lord," she yells, her voice carrying over the battlefield impressively. "Enough of your games."

Avani raises a hand, twisting her fingers. Behind us all, I hear the unmistakable sound of crumbling stone. And I look up just in time to see the spire of the Temple of Spirit plummet to the ground, shattering into a pile of rubble on impact. Avani gives a most malicious smile as Zelda raises her hand.

The light that follows is blinding.

Posted

((I'm going back a little bit to where Sault's falling ))

I can hear Sault's plea for help, but I'm tpo busy almost getting killed. 

My arms are tired, and my head hurts so bad... I can't even handle stupid bokoblins. I found a spot where I can shoot at them with my arrows so that they can't get close, but I'm becoming slower and slower.... Suddenly, one has gotten too close, and I try to be quicker then him, but I'm not...

He hits my leg and I fall down. Warm blood is streaming out of the rather large cut. I scream in pain and wait until that stupid thing attacks again, but that doesn't happen. 

"Melaina? Is that you?" It's Caoilainn.

"Yeah, down here," I moan. She stoops down beside me, and rips a piece of her tunic of.

"Place my hand on your wound," she says. I take her hand and when I release it, she starts pressing the fabric onto my wound. The pressure makes it hurt even more, and I groan loudly. 

"I have to stop the bleeding," Caoilainn says. 

"I know just.... do what you have to," I say. I bite my hand to muffle my screams of pain.  

"Can you stand?" she asks and reaches out her hand. 

"I'll have to, this thing isn't over yet..." I say and I sit up. I carefully try to stand up, putting all my weight on Caoilainn, but it's too painful. 

I want to say to Caoilainn to leave me and return to battle, but then a bright light blinds me. 

Posted

((I'm also backing up to the part before the flash))

I hack away at the waves of Bokoblins, but there's nothing I can do. I'm getting tired, and soon they will just overrun the forge and the temple. Speaking of the temple being overrun, I hear a loud crash, and I look back to find that the spire has completely collapsed. I fight on, slashing as hard as I can, trying to ignore the ache all over my body. Suddenly, I hear a voice in my head.

"And look at this one, putting it all on the line, even though he knows he going to die. How brave of you," Avani says. 

"You can never know what I've been through!" I yell, trying to force his presence out with my anger, but she remains. I'm too weak to drive her out. 

"Oh, really? Because I was there," Avani says. "That fire was no accident. We wanted you dead. Turns out you weren't home, but no matter. You'll die now!" I am absolutely stunned by this realization. I stand there for a split second, dazed by the thought that this Demon before me killed my parents. Instead of falling over and dying, though, I just fight harder. As I execute a spin attack, I watch as Zelda approaches Avani, who laughs in her presence. She's going to die, I think. Goddesses, forgive me. 

"Get back!" I yell as I start to run towards her.

"...Enough of your games," Zelda says, and I am suddenly blinded by a flash of divine light.

Posted

Luckily, I don't feel the full impact of whatever power has just been unleashed, but I'm thrown back by the force. Melaina cries out from beside me, and I do my best to shield her. Her leg is still in a very bad way, and my limbs have gone numb with the drastic changes in temperature.

"What's happening?!" I scream to whoever is closest. 

Avani's screams fill the air, to my surprise, and I hear a cry from what sounds like Zelda. I don't see any of it happening, but the ground stops trembling so fiercely and the winds die down considerably. I'm able to regain my footing and help Melaina up with just a little difficulty. 

"Melaina!" I yell. "What's going on?!"

"It's Zelda!" she replies. "She's fighting Avani, she's beating her back!" 

Cheers arise from some of the younger Sheikah, spurring Zelda on, it seems. There's a final crash, what sounds like a bomb sailing into the air, and then a moment of silence.

"The power of the goddess.." Avani's voice breaks the silence. "...It's a privilege, to have seen it. However... I fear I'll be taking my leave now. Don't worry, though, I'll be back... soon..."

And then, at last, she's gone. Her power fades from the camp and I relax my muscles a little. The camp is quiet, though, and I frown as I wait for someone to say something.

"What's... what's wrong..?" I ask hesitantly. 

"We've lost a lot," says Sheik, coming somewhere from the right. "Young ones have died, the Temple of Spirit is... it's..."

I gasp as I realise what must have happened. Taking hold of Melaina, I let her steer me to where Sheik must be. Stretching out a hand, I set it on his shoulder and try to give it a comforting pat. Surprisingly, his shoulder is shaking, and after a moment I hear his small noises, his tiny outbursts of grief. 

He's not alone, though.

Posted

I want to scream, I want to wail and sob and punch someone over and over. I want to chase after Avani and beat her down to a bloody pulp. But she's gone, and none of that would ever truly help. I push forward, holding back everything as I make my way over to where the group has congregated. The numbers are smaller than they were. I can see bodies, but not nearly enough of them to make up for the missing people. I don't want to have to face this.

One lie's in my path, crumpled, hunched over, but I can still make out his face. Cale. His eyes, that were once so eager are now glazed, blind and unseeing. It's then that I drop to my hands and knees, retching, gagging, but nothing comes. I force myself to my feet again, staggering over to join the others.

And it's only then that I realise that Sheik is crying. It's something I've never seen before, something that I never thought would happen. And yet here it is... Caoilainn awkwardly pats his shoulder, but no one knows quite how to react. I push through, wrapping my old friend up in a hug. He clings on tight, his shoulders shaking as I try my best to reassure him. But even over his shoulder I can see the ruins of what was once the Temple of Spirit.

He pulls away after a while, swallowing hard and nodding. His raises his chin a little, standing straighter. As I watch him, it occurs to me that a true leader doesn't bottle up their feelings, doesn't keep everything in. But they feel, they let it out, and then they move on.

"I'll show you all to the temporary camp," he says, taking off at the head of the group. Everyone gradually trails after him, but I turn back, looking for Melaina. As the crowd of weary warriors thins, I find her leaning against Caoilainn for support. My eyes drift down to find a blood stained rag tied just below her knee. My eyes widen as I step closer.

"Melaina..." I say. "What happened to you?"

"I'm sorry..." she breathes. "You said stay safe but... one of the Bokoblins got me..."

I take one of her hands comfortingly. "How bad is it?"

"I don't know..." Caoilainn mutters. "But she was in a lot of pain, it must be pretty deep."

"You've bled right through the cloth," I mutter. "You can't walk like that..."

"I can!" she insists.

I shake my head. "When I was injured, do you remember what you told me?" She shakes her head. I smile. "It'll only get worse when you force yourself and you know that."

She rolls her eyes, admitting defeat as I stoop down. I put one arm just above her knees and one arm behind her back, lifting her up. She hooks her arms around my neck for extra support as I carry her, following the others back to camp.

Posted

I'd never seen anything like it. The sheer power of the Goddess was awe-inspiring. I can't even comprehend it. I start to walk back with the others, when I feel a tap on my back. I turn to find a young Sheikah, one of the few survivors. 

"Hi. My name's Naroh," the young boy says. "My leg hurts a bit from all the fighting, and I was wondering if you could carry me to the camp. If it's not too much to ask..." 

I smile. "Of course! Anything for a brave young fighter like you!" I say, kneeling so I can carry him on my shoulders. He climbs on, and I stand and start off after the others.

"You were the awesome one. I've never seen anyone fight like you before! I wanna fight like you when I get older!" he says.

"You're already halfway there. You're brave and strong, and you fought well. Keep up the training and you'll get there someday!" I say cheerfully. I try to act happier than I feel, which is exhausted and depressed. Even the Goddess' power could only push Avani back, not kill him. Really, I'm worried about Caoilainn. I know she made it through the fight, but I'm worried about her safety if we get attacked again.

Posted

We pass by what must be the ruins of the Temple of Spirit, each of the tribe members falling silent for a moment. I bow my head as I walk. I cannot cry, of course, but nevertheless I feel a chill run through me as we walk.

I hear Leoni, talking amiably to what I imagine is a younger Sheikah, and Fintan and Melaina conversing quietly.

"Caoilainn?" a voice comes from close by to my left.

"Zelda?" I ask. "Am I right...?"

"It's me," she says. "You have a gash on your back, cuts all over your legs. You need healing."

"You don't need to use your power for-"

"It wasn't a suggestion, Caoilainn," she says, and I can hear the smile in her voice. "When we settle down, I'll take a look at your injuries."

"Not my eyes," I warn.

"You're very proud, aren't you?" Zelda asks. "Wouldn't you like to see again?"

"Right now, I don't want or need to," I say decidedly. "Thank you for the offer, though."

"Oh, it's nothing."

She takes me by the hand, as it seems I've gone astray. We walk in comfortable silence, and I listen to the Sheikah express their grief, wincing at their soft noises of unhappiness.

Posted

Fintan puts me on a bed, between the other wounded. 

"I'll try to find you someone who has more medical experience," he says.

He wants to stand up, but I stop him by grabbing his arm. "I'm fine Fintan," I try to smile. 

But I'm not. My leg hurts so bad it feels like it's throbbing... My heart's beating fast against my chest, and I'm sweating like crazy. My breathing goes in fast, short, desperate for air gasps.

Fintan puts a hand on my forehead. He looks at me. His eyes are full of worry. "I think you have a fever..." 

"Maybe that's because I'm hot," I say, giving him a crooked smile. "Or it's because I spend the battle close to a fire," I say when he gives me his 'this is not a time to joke Melaina look'. "I'll be ok tomorrow."

He nods. "I'll stay here."

"No, go help the others Fintan... Sheik needs you," I say and I grab his hand. 

"But you need me more," he smiles and squeezes my hand softly.

"How are the others?" I ask, changing the subject. 

"Leoni and Sault looked okay but Caoilainn is wounded... But she'll be fine," he tells me. 

"Oh ok... Caoilainn saved me you know," I say. "She killed the bokoblin that attacked me. If she hadn't been there..."

"Don't think about that," he tries to smile. 

"I won't," I try to smile too. We both can't. "Where are Link and Zelda? I didn't saw Link the entire battle, and I only saw Zelda when she went to attack Avani..." 

Posted (edited)

"Link and Zelda are with Caoilainn now. Zelda wanted to heal her wounds, and I think Link was just relieved that Zelda's okay."

Melain nods understandingly, but I can see that's she's struggling. She's definitely got a fever, something must have gotten into her cut because she doesn't look well.

"Melaina, you need to get some rest," I say, squeezing her hand gently. "You're not well..."

"Fintan, I-" she stutters.

I shake my head. "No... I'll redress your wound, but then you need to get some sleep."

I turn, taking a roll of bandage from the station in the middle of the tent. She winces in pain as I roll up her trouser leg, pulling off the hastily applied piece of fabric. Her wound is nasty, it's bleeding heavily and weeping a little. I take a deep breath and begin wrapping the bandage around. I wrap until the roll is finished, then carefully pin it into place. As I gently roll down her trouser sleeve and glance up, Melaina's already asleep. I lean in and gently kiss her forehead and tuck her under the sheets before walking slowly to the exit.

As I near the door, I spot Caoilainn sat up in the bed closest to the door. Link and Zelda must have left by now, because she sits alone. I swallow hard. I still struggle to talk to her, I don't want to be near her right now... but I know what I've got to do. I make my way over, wiping my sweaty palms on my shirt.

"Caoilainn..." I mutter. "I uhh... there's something I've got to say."

She frowns. "Fintan? Is that you?"

"Yeah," I reply. I step a little closer, perching uncomfortably on the edge of her bed. "I just... uhh..." I can't seem to fathom any words. I don't even know what to say around her any more.

"...Fintan?" she asks, looking baffled.

"Sorry," I mutter. "Well, Melaina told me what you did for her. I just... I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for saving her."

"Don't mention it," she says, smiling.

"I guess," I mutter. "I guess that's all..." I get up, heading over to the door of the tent.

"Fintan?" she asks. I turn back, glancing over my shoulder.

"Yes?"

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

((Just gonna back up a tiny bit, if that's okay!))

Zelda pauses in the act of healing me, making a little noise of confusion.

"Is... Is everything alright?" I ask, lying as still as possible on my front.

"It's not working," Zelda says. Link steps over, and I hear him crouch down beside her.

"It could be your biology, Caoilainn," says Link. "I'll get some medicine and bandages."

He leaves, and Zelda sighs. "I'm sorry it won't work..."

"It's not your fault," I assure her, though I can't help feeling annoyed that it won't work.

After some time, I'm looked after and left to be alone for a while. That's when someone else comes in, asking for me.

I identify Fintan and listen as he thanks me for helping Melaina.

"Don't mention it," I say as lightly as I can.

I listen as he leaves, but then I decide against letting him leave.

"Fintan?" I call out. I breathe a small sigh of relief when his footsteps stop just short of the exit.

"Yes?" he asks.

"I just... I hope that I can redeem myself in your eyes," I say. "I can't be any more sincere in apologising to you. For stabbing you, for turning against you and Melaina... And against the camp at one point. I know it's difficult to trust me, I'm so... divided... but I hope you can..."

Posted

"Well Melaina, looks like you can't do that," a voice says.

"What do you mean?" I ask. 

"You know what I mean," the voice says. It's a small girl, dressed in a blue dress. She smiles, and points to my hands.

I'm holding a bow. "Why can't I?" I ask. 

"Because. You're not good enough. You're a bad Sheikah and you know it," she laughs.

"That's not true," I say, but tears form in my eyes. "I'm good with a bow.. and with a harp."

"Yeah but still, nobody likes you because you're mean," she giggles and plays with her hair.

"Shut up! I've got friends," I yell.

"Melaina..." she smiles."Melaina..." 

"Melaina? Melaina!" Fintan's voice comes through and he shakes me awake. 

"What's going on?" I breath. 

"You were dreaming... It looked like a bad dream," he says, sitting down next to me. He's worried.

"It was so weird... But it's over now," I try to smile. That was the strangest dream I ever had. Especially since I rarely dream. 

"How are you doing?" 

Not well, I want to say because that's the truth. "Fine," I say. 

"Your forehead still feels as hot as a fire," he replies. He doesn't believe me. 

That's weird, since I'm pretty cold.

"I went to Caoilainn," he says. 

"How is she doing?" I ask, glad that he changed the subject.

"She's doing good," he replies simply. I can tell there is more to say, but that he decided not to bother me with it for now.

"So, what are we going to do today?" I ask.

"You aren't going anywhere," he says. "And don't try to convince me otherwise. You are going to sleep." 

I sigh over dramatically.

"In the meantime, the people that aren't wounded are trying to set up a new camp. And we're also trying to rebuild the Spirit Temple..."

"What happened with the Spirit Temple?" I ask, confused.

Fintan shoots me an equally confused look. "You don't remember? You were awake."

"I was? No I don't remember.... Maybe it's because I'm tired or something," I smile.

"Maybe... I have to go now... I'll come check on you sometime this day," he kisses my forehead and leaves.

This is not good....