Establishing Hyrule

566 posts in this topic

Posted

((AP World History Exam tomorrow, wish me luck =) ))

Posted

((Good luck!! Sorry about my absences, guys, exams and no WiFi are dreadful things!))

Goddess Plumes... the name is familiar, but weapon forgery and ancient relics really aren't my areas of specialty.

I leave the group, planning on getting something to eat. As I fasten my blindfold around my eyes, I hear some of the younger Sheikah running about. They appear to come to a halt as I pass, and I hear their little footsteps approaching.

"Caoilainn!" one of them calls. "Why are you wearing that blindfold?"

"Because..." I trail off, not exactly sure how to explain something like this to such young ones. "Well, I'm..."

"Did you want to play hide and seek?" another asks.

I hesitate for a moment. Should I..? It would certainly distract from troubling thoughts.

"Sure," I say, offering them my best smile. Kids were easy to understand; they didn't over-complicate anything.

"One... Two... Three..."

Posted

(( Sorry again D: I finished my exams of Friday afternoon, but since then I've had work, a sleepover, visiting a friends baby and a family meal... this is the first I've been on my laptop! But updates should be more frequent from here on out! Sidenote: How was the AP World History exam? ))

"As far as weaponry goes, the Sheikah don't use much..." Melaina says. "I think if we have Leoni's dagger, we need a long range weapon. Maybe we should put shards of the plumes into arrows for Caoilainn and I to use, and put the rest into the blades of two swords? That should be enough to last us provided we're not wasteful."

But before anyone can reply, there comes a shrill shriek from outside, the unmistakable sound of a child's scream. I leap to my feet and dash out of the temple despite the sharp pain that erupts by my hip. As I arrive outside, one of the Sheikah juniors runs right into my legs, her face streaked with tears. As I kneel down to comfort her, I realise that it's Thadea. She's six, I've trained her in meditation a few times.

"Fintan, she's got no eyes!" she wails. "Caoilainn's got no eyes!" She throws herself around my shoulders and I give her a hug to calm her down. "We were playing hide and seek and she found me, so I pulled down her blindfold to surprise her and she had no eyes! It was really scary..."

"Thadea it's okay," I say as she pulls back, sniffling. "It'll just take some getting used to."

She nods, seeming somewhat comforted, and trails off to find her friends. I watch her go, scratching the crown of my head as I think. It's not going to be easy for Caoilainn to settle back here...

Posted

Oh, goddesses. Oh, that poor, poor girl.

I can still hear her dwindling cries, yelling out that Caoilainn has no eyes, that she was so scared. The others had scattered, leaving me alone with my blindfold in hand.

That was the first time anyone had ever been properly scared of me, I thought, aside from the time I spent with the demons. Sure, I'd been respected as a fighter, and I'd had Sheikah clear paths for me, but this was different. This was actual fear, that I'd instilled in a child.

I walk, a little aimlessly, to where I hear Fintan, likely talking to Melaina, or another of our group.

"That child looked terrified," he was saying. "She can't let that blindfold come loose unless it's in front of someone who knows. Thadea was shaking so much."

I flinch, my hand going to the fabric wrapped around my head, brushing my fingers against it softly. I was something looked on not in companionship, now, but in fear.

Turning away, not wanting to hear any more, I come back the way I came, feeling along the trees to find my way. Suddenly I stop, my hand resting on a tree.

The tiniest of reverbrations runs through it, barely noticeable but powerful enough to give me an idea of what's coming.

"Avani," I say aloud. "She knows!"

Posted

((Sorry for the absence, just life, and exams, and trying to get a job! This weekend's been crazy! As for the AP World Exam, I think it went okay. I did well on the multiple choice and the first essay, but the second and third ones weren't as good. I'll get the score in July, so I'll have to wait and see! I'm so excited for Summer! Does anyone have any special plans?))

There is a commotion around Fintan, with a group of the younger Sheikah screaming about how Caoilainn has no eyes. I leave Fintan to handle the youngsters, and I head off in search of Caoilainn. I find her standing next to a tree, touching it to guide her away from where we were gathered. 

"...She knows!" Caoilainn says.

"Who knows? And what do they know?" I ask, bewildered. "And are you okay?"

"Avani! She knows that we're here! It's not safe here!" Caoilainn shouts in a panic. 

"Slow down. Can you feel Avani's presence?" I ask. Caoilainn nods. I curse under my breath. 

"We'd better get those weapons finished, otherwise we're toast," I say. "But on the subject of here and now, are you all right?" 

"...I- I- I don't know... I'm not a friend to anyone anymore, just someone that scares everyone... I used to like being alone, but now..." she trails off. I walk up to her and hug her tightly. 

"I want you to know something. No matter what happens with the others, no matter what anyone thinks, I will be there for you. You can always turn to me, okay? And if you ever change your mind, I'll be there to support you. I don't ever want you to feel the loneliness I felt. Not ever," I say. She pulls away slightly, and I let her go. 

"Okay. Thanks," she says, trying to hide her emotions, just like the old Caoilainn. I can tell she's upset, but there's not a lot I can do, other than support her. 

"Do you want me to stay, or do you want to be alone? I don't mind, whichever you want," I say.

Posted

"So she's supposed to spend the rest of her life with a blindfold on?" Melaina says. "That's not right Fintan..."

"I know," I reason. "That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that people need to know before she takes it off, especially the children..."

"I suppose he has a point," Sault says. "If it really scared Thadea that much..."

He says something more, but I don't hear the rest of it. Something snatches my attention, though I can't quite pinpoint what it is. It's enough to make my skin run cold, the hair on the back of my neck standing up as I glance around the room. There's nothing visible here... but I still feel on edge. A prickle works it's way down my spine, and I leap to my feet.

"Excuse me," I mutter, pushing out into the small patch of garden behind the temple. My little patch... the best place to meditate.

I settle down on the ground, tucking up into the lotus position. The late evening sunshine is streaked across my face as I close my eyes and press my fingers into my palms. I allow myself to relax, focusing on nothing but my pulse, and slowly I sink into my Palace of Balance. But it's not the same as it always is. I don't feel the familiar warmth, the sense of comfort. Everything feels slightly off balance, slightly out of synch... like one instrument from a group playing in the wrong key.

And then I hear it.

It's faint at first, but I focus, pulling my mind closer to the sound. And the closer I get, the clearer it becomes. It's laughter, a cackle, layered in multiple tones and volumes. It fills my mind, penetrating every hidden corner, pushing through closed doors. I feel her touching every memory, every emotion. She's gone within a matter of moments, leaving a black misty trail behind her.

I break the surface, forcing myself back into reality. How could I possibly be so stupid? I should've known the warnings, I should've raised barriers. But I didn't. I let Avani into my mind, I let her read everything. Now not only does she have elemental power... but she now knows our weaknesses, she knows exactly what to exploit...

Posted (edited)

"Right now, we should find the others and let everyone know," I say. "Fintan will likely have sensed her aura, he may know more."

I let Leoni take me by the hand and we move to where the others must have gathered. I can hear Fintan, his voice a little shaky.

"She got into my mind," he said. "I could feel her probing, looking around everything..."

I cringe at his words, being able to make a good guess as to what he's talking about.

"So she has more than elemental power?" Sault asks. "Oh, goddesses."

"She's not far from here," I speak up. "We need to arm ourselves."

"Both physically and mentally," Fintan says. "She got into my head so easily.."

I reach out an arm, tottering a little as I try to pinpoint where he is. I give his arm a little pat, highly aware of how uncomfortable he remains in my presence.

Edited by ButterflyBabyBlue (see edit history)

Posted

Sault is watching the camp blacksmiths forge their new weapons, two swords and a couple dozen arrows as per Fintans' orders, when Melania bursts in. "Sault, that Avani person is coming! Fintan says we're in deep trouble, help me round everyone up!" She nabs the already completed arrows before heading out the door without a work of thanks; Sault would have lectured her but there were more pressing matters at hand. 

The entire camp is already busy preparing for an attack as the children are taken to safety and everything that isn't bolted down gets packed up. It looks like everyone is counting on having to retreat, and given how powerful Avani might be it's a fair assumption. As Sault runs around looking for his friends, a powerful earthquake rocks the entire forest, signaling how little time they have left to prepare. Everyone is gathered now outside the still-running blacksmith forge. "Melania and Leoni, get ready to attack. The rest of us will defend the forge until the weapons are made." Fintan orders.

Posted

I take up a fighting stance, standing ready in front of the door of the forge. It's strange, the camp has almost been stripped bare. All that remains are the smouldering ashes of the campfire, the Temple of Spirit, and the blacksmith forge. I watch as Melaina and Leoni dash off into the centre of what was once our camp. He with dagger in hand, her wielding her bow. A few more Sheikah gather around us, ready to fight.

"We're not letting our camp go down without a fight," one of them says. A young boy, fifteen with bright eager eyes. Cale, we trained together when we were younger. "What do you want us to do to help?"

I glance around at the others. "We need to defend the forge until the weapons are complete, some of you head inside and help the blacksmiths, some of you stay out here."

They nod, splitting up and taking position. Suddenly a loud rumble sounds out, and the skies crack open. Rain begins pelting down from above, like bullets pounding onto our shoulders. I push my already sodden hair back from my eyes, doing my best not to let the downpour deter me.

The door of the Temple of Spirit is thrown open, and Sheik comes running out towards us.

"What are you doing here?" Caoilainn yells over the pounding rain. "Shouldn't you stay with the tribe?"

He shakes his head, pulling his hair back and tying it into a stout pony tail. "No. My camp is under attack, I'm not going to flee and hide. Like a sea captain, I'll go down with this ship." I watch him as he readies himself, feeling nothing but admiration. One day I hope I can be as good a leader as him.

But before I can think about it any more, a mighty rumble of thunder resounds through the camp, sending a shiver down my back. Moments later, lightning flashes, blindingly bright. When it fades, she's standing in the middle of the camp. She's tall, lean, with deathly pale skin and long silvery hair. She's dressed all in red, gold, and white - true to the demons we've encountered before. But her eyes aren't dark like the others... they're bright gold, glistening orbs in the raging storm around her. Her left arm is tattooed with four images - a tree, a flame, an ocean wave, and a gust of wind: her elemental power.

Posted

Oh goddess, this is much worse than what I expected. It rains so hard that I'm soaked already. I'm not sure what to do, what do we need to attack? Her? We can't do that, she'll blow us away with a tornado or something! She'll probably have minions of some sorts, we can handle those. 

Not that I can see any. The rain is so loud and it blurs my vision really bad. 

"I can't see a thing!" I yell to Leoni. 

"Me neither!" he yells back. I can hear he's close to me, but I don't know how close he is exactly.  

I'm starting to panic a bit. What if the others need us? What if they yell for us and we can't hear it? What if they try to signal us and we can't see it? 

"What do we do?" I yell. My voice sounds a bit panicked. I hold my bow ready, just in case. 

"I don't kn-" he gets interrupted by a sudden movement. 

A circle of fire surrounds us. 

I'm confused at first, how does a circle of fire remains lit while it rains? Then I realise that these are her powers, and they're strong. 

"Leoni!" I yell.

Posted

"Fintan!" I call out. "She's so strong, it's rolling off of her!"

"I know," he replies. "We need to keep firm, don't let her cause anymore damage!"

"Sheikah," Avani says, her voice carrying over to us easily as she looks about at the destruction. "My request is merely the goddess reborn. Hand her over, and I'll leave this place be."

"Never!" Fintan yells back, joined by some of the younger Sheikah around us.

"Oh?" Avani replies. "I see how it is!"

I let out a cry when what feels like icy, chilly fingers dig into my mind, rooting out every unpleasant memory from the back of my mind, every doubt and uncertainty. Fintan cries out in unison with me, likely experiencing the same. Even the younger Sheikah are whimpering and begging for the mental assault to end.

But it doesn't stop, and neither does Avani's cackle.

Posted

I hear Melaina yell my name and I run towards her. 

"Melaina! Where are you?" I yell. I spot her after a few seconds of running, and I run to her side. 

"Thank the goddesses you're okay!" she says, looking as panicked as I am.

"Well, do he have a plan of attack?" I ask.

"Randomly shooting at it? I can't think of anything better..." she trails off. 

"Try to aim for the face; it's more vulnerable!" I yell, the wind growing louder around us. Then the sensation of ice running through my brain hits me, and it seems to affect Melaina. It reminds me of my guilt, everything I have tried so hard to forget. I know it's just Avani toying with me, but it affects me just the same. Melaina cries in agony and her bow falls to the ground. I can't let them die, I think. No one else dies. Not today. I've lost too much. I can feel the ice receding, like the fire in my mind is beating back the frost of Avani's power. 

"No one dies today!" I yell, letting it all out as I pick up Melaina's bow and fire one shot directly into Avani's eye. Avani seems to recoil from the blow, but is not even close to defeat. The icy feeling subsides instantly, and Melaina gets up slowly. 

"Are you okay?" I ask. She nods, and I hand her the bow. I honestly don't know if we'll survive this, but we'll fight with everything we have.

Posted

Avani doesn't take well to being shot in the eye, and lets out a blood-curdling shriek that drops everyone on their knees. Suddenly a huge crowd of Bokoblins are summoned out of thin air; they waste no time in charging on both the forge and the position of Leoni and Melania. This power is unreal, even for a Demon Lord Sault thought to himself. Was there something more to this enemy?

There wasn't any time to ponder the question further as he slashed at the Bokoblins with his falchion. This sort of pitched fighting was favorable to him and the Hylian knights, so they took positions on the front lines while the Sheikah fought from behind. Unfortunately there were just too many Bokoblins and not enough allies to cover the ranged fighters, and already Sault could hear the screams of others being cut down by the demons; it was all he could do to not imagine one of his friends being killed. 

Meanwhile, Avani scanned the chaos for her attackers, especially whoever shot her in the eye. Even with an arrow still in her socket she seemed uninterested in seeking aid or lessening her pain; it was as if a single purpose filled her mind that not even bodily harm could dissuade. Eventually she raised her hand and let out a howl, tearing open the earth a few yards away. Sault knew the Demon Lord probably wouldn't kill Leoni and Melania as long as they stayed out of sight, but it would be impossible for them to attack if they were constantly bombarded by elemental assaults. Hopefully those last two weapons were nearly completed...

Posted

As the earth cracks just ahead of us, I feel something cold and metallic thrust into my palm. I turn quickly to find one of the volunteer Sheikah ducking back into the forge. I glance down at my palm, finding a long, menacing looking silver sword with a blue hilt, a red Sheikah eye engraved into the handle. I glance around at the others, before leaping forward and handing the weapon to Link.

"Go, go go!" I call out, and he dashes out to join Melaina and Leoni.

I stand a little straighter as I watch him go, pushing back my sodden hair. "Avani!" I call out above the chaos. "This ends now."

She cackles, a penetrating sound. "This doesn't end until I get what I came for."

She raises her hand, launching another mental attack. Her icy fingers push through my mind, but this time it's a little easier to bear. I grit my teeth, focusing on what she's doing, how she's doing it. As she retreats, I ready myself, disappearing to the back of the group.

"Fintan, what are you doing?" Caoilainn cries.

"Trust me!" I shout back. I stand perfectly still, trying to zone everything out. I block out the pounding rain, the thunder, the cries of the warriors and shrieks of Bokoblins. I open out my mind, projecting myself outward, forward, to her.

Everything else fades, and I'm inside her head. I can touch each of her memories, letting the pictures wash over me. I don't know what I'm looking for, but I'm looking for something. And as I search, it occurs to me that for every memory, I can't feel a single emotion. Not one hint of pleasure or pain, no remorse for what she's done. And then I stumble upon something I didn't want to see.

A heavily pregnant woman, pleading for mercy, her husband lying dead in the corner. The way she screams as the knife slashes across her throat. I watch, feeling sick to my stomach as she falls still, her eyes remaining open. Those unseeing amber orbs are harrowing, because I'd know those eyes anywhere. They're my eyes.

Posted

"FINTAN!" I scream.

"What's going on?!" Leoni yells.

I can't see what he's doing, but I heard Caoilainn yell his name. He's in trouble.

I take my bow and ready an arrow. I can't shoot her without being in her sight, because where we were previously standing, a fire is spreading. 

"Leoni! You kill the bokoblins while I shoot her in the eye!" I yell.

He runs in front of me and starts slashing. Avani looks... distracted... When I can see her eye I release the arrow. 

She shrieks loudly, but she's still not defeated.

Again, the icy feeling crawls back into my brain, but it seems like it's specifically for me. 

I see all the things I was ever afraid of. Dying, being left alone, getting rejected, my friends getting tortured, Fintan being murdered... Fintan. It seems so real.

But it's not. It's not real, I try to say to myself. It's not real. 
"Melaina!" I hear someone vaguely yell. "Melaina!" A hand touches me.