Establishing Hyrule

566 posts in this topic

Posted

I feel so, so stupid. I can't believe I forgot one of my friends. A person that I grew up with. I'm scared to go to sleep. Scared, that when I wake up, I will forget yet another of my friends. What if I'll forget who Fintan is? Will I ever find retrieve my memory back? 

"We don't know how bad it is," Sheik says to Fintan. They're outside my tent.

"We would have to ask a lot of questions to know," Fintan sighs in reply. "Just... What do we do?" 

"I don't know, Fintan, I'm sorry."

He sighs again. 

Tears stream down my cheeks. I feel so helpless. What do I do? 

When I wake up, Zelda is standing next to my bed. Glad I can still remember her...

"Melaina, how are you feeling?" she asks, concerned. Fintan and Sheik are standing around my bed too.

"Except that I lost half my memory, pretty decent," I reply. 

Fintan inhales sharply. He doesn't like it when I'm being sarcastic in times like this. 

"Do you remember who I am?" she asks softly.

"Of course I do, Zelda," I answer, sounding a bit irritated. I don't want to be treated like a stupid child.

"Do you remember where I went a few days ago?" 

I try to remember, but my mind seems blank on that bit. 

She must have read my answer from my expression. "I thought I knew how to help you, by retrieving my memory from my past life as Hylia. You're not the only one with memory loss," she smiles. "Well, Link and I went to sacred places around the land, and I started to remember, including things I didn't want to," her face becomes grim and sad for a moment. "I still haven't retrieved my full memory yet, so I don't know if what I know now will be enough. Can I look at your wound please?" 

I nod. 

She pulls the blanket up and places her hands around the wound.

"Hmm...." she whispers. 

"What's wrong?" Fintan asks. 

"This is no ordinary wound," she replies. "It's inflicted by a sword that had a demonic curse weaved into it."

Posted

"Wait, this is all because of some magic spell?" Sault blurted. Everyone was now outside the tent and back at work reconstructing their camp when he and the others had been called over to discuss the latest revelation. "Think of it like the Blade of Duplicity, but more mundane," Link replied. "Zelda thinks these weapons were meant to target all eight of us, keeping us from dying but deteriorating our minds and causing great pain. The curse may have even helped cure Melania's blood poisoning to keep her alive and suffering, given her fast recovery."

Sault wasn't the best schemer, but he could guess this was all a plot by Majora to get revenge. It was clear the stakes were getting incredibly high now. "So, its an innumerable horde of demons, Majora, and that creep Avani versus just us right now. Plus, we need to do something about Melania," Sault figured out loud. "Anyone know where to find some allies?"

Posted (edited)

I chew the inside of my cheek. "I would recommend the Sheikah to help, but they've suffered enough losses... I don't think the camp is fit to battle yet."

"I agree," Zelda replies. "But we have Knights in Skyloft. They're usually trained for airborne combat... but I know they'd be willing to help if we explained the situation."

"Who knows?" Sault asks. "The flying angle may even be useful!"

Sheik nods. "True. And we may be able to enlist the help of the Gorons - they have some remarkable weaponry."

"I'm sure Zurin and Batreux will loan us their magic," Leoni interjects.

"And the Dragons of the Surface could be persuaded," Link adds.

I nod, taking it all in. "This is all helpful... I think it's safe to say that whatever we're facing here isn't just a threat to us and to our tribe, but to Skyloft and the rest of Surface as well. I never realised how big a war is waging here... but Demon Kind is hungry for revenge. We need to act fast. I suggest we congregate in the morning and divide up into smaller teams, possibly pairs, to set out to convince other forces to ally with us."

"It's a plan," Sheik says. "But for now, you all need to rest up. Take an early night so we can be ready bright and early tomorrow."

Everyone agrees, breaking off into smaller groups to head to their tents. I decide that I should probably let Melaina know where we're going, seeing as there's no chance that she can come with us tomorrow. I make my way over to her tent, pushing back the door and walking slowly over to her bed. She smiles at me as I perch on the side of the bed, taking one of her hands.

"We've just had a briefing," I say. "We're heading out tomorrow to find allies to help us in the battle against the Demons." Her face drops a little, but I can't blame her for being disappointed. "I know you don't want to stay here... but I think you know as well as I do that it's for the best. I won't be gone for long, I'll be back at the end of the day."

It's only then that I realise tears are welling in her eyes. I frown, placing my other hand over hers and cupping it tightly. "Melaina... please don't cry..." I whisper.

"I'm so scared Fintan..." she whispers back. "I don't want to forget, I don't want to forget everything... I feel like my life is slowly slipping through my fingers and I just can't stop it..."

I take my hands from hers, cupping her face gently. I plant a soft kiss on her lips, before reaching down to trace my amber necklace that hangs around her collar bone. "If you ever feel scared... just remember that this necklace will give you strength."

She glances down, lifting the necklace a little to look at it. "My necklace?" she asks. "Why would it?"

"I-" I mutter, reaching up and carefully untying the necklace from around my neck. "I wanted to give you this... The juniors gave it to me to make me feel better... I thought you might like it for luck."

My blood chills in my veins for a second, my tongue turned to dust. I swallow hard, shaking my head. "N-no reason..."

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

I sleep like the dead and wake early enough, judging by the surreal quiet of the camp. Getting out of bed, I tie my blindfold around my head and feel my way out into the chill morning air.

The camp is silent aside from the sound of my feet on the grass and the sounds of birds singing some distance away. I stroll around aimlessly, trying to stick to the areas I'm now familiar with.

Since being blind, my other senses have accelerated steadily. My hearing is better than ever and I've become familiar with the ground under my feet.

"I guess some good came from this," I remark drily, stretching with a yawn.

"Caoilainn," someone to the right says. I identify it as Zelda, her soft footsteps coming toward me.

"Zelda," I greet her, stretching my arm out a little and letting her take it.

"I've been thinking," she says quietly. "About when I tried to heal you a while ago. I'm sorry it didn't work. It's interesting to me, in a way, though. You and I, in a sense, are polar opposites."

"That's definitely true," I agree. "We're different in almost every way... aside from being blonde, that is."

She laughs at that, but it's quite fleeting. "I think we should pair up today."

"Are you going to dissect me or something?"

"No!" she says quickly. "The heavens forbid it, no. I just think that it could be a valuable experience for both of us, is all. You don't have to, of course..."

"It's fine," I tell her. "You're one of the only ones who doesn't get uncomfortable around me, or makes a show of my being blind. So, I appreciate it."

"I'm glad, Caoilainn."

Posted

I wake up right as the first strokes of light strike the earth, indicating dawn. I stretch and stand up, getting ready for the day ahead. Out of habit I begin to put my gear on, finishing with my sword and shield on my back. As I walk out of my tent, I am immediately greeted by Sault. 

"How'd you sleep?" Sault asks, just making small talk.

"Not too bad, and you?" I ask, grabbing a fruit called an orange and peeling it.

"Pretty good," he says, hesitating for a second. "Look... I was wondering... Would you like to pair up with me for the mission?" 

"Of course!" I say, smiling. "I was actually thinking the same thing! I figured I could show you around Skyloft, considering it is home..."

"Yeah..." Sault says, looking off in the distance. "I really want to know who my family is..." 

"Who knows? Maybe we're related!" We both laugh, but I'm still worried about Melaina and Caoilainn. After seeing Melaina's condition, I would rather have Caoilainn stab me in the ribs 100 times than have her suffer Melaina's fate.

Posted

"Hey," I say to Fintan when he enters my tent. 

"Hey...," he replies softly. He's not been his usual self lately, and I'm pretty sure that's my fault. 

"I want to come with you guys..." I say and I have to hold back a sob. "I mean, I can probably stand on my leg by now and-"

"No," Fintan interrupts me. "You can't. Your condition isn't well enough." 

I stare at him. "I just... it hurts you know... Knowing that I can't come to help... I just don't want to be alone in here."

"I know... I don't want to leave you either but... They need me, Melaina..." 

I sigh. "I know.. What's the plan?" 

"Well, we're going to Skyloft to ask the knights there if they want to fight with us."

Skyloft? I ponder, giving him a questioning look.

"Melaina?" he asks, his voice getting shaky.

"What's Skyloft?" I ask, and my cheeks turn bright red because I can feel that this is something I have to know...

"Where Leoni and the rest of the Hylians come from," he explains, his voice clearly shaking.

"Leoni?" I ask, and tears form into my eyes. 

"Oh goddess..." Fintan sighs and he hugs me. 

"I'm sorry," I whisper. "I'm sorry..."

"It's okay, Melaina," he comes closer. What's he doing? He closes his eyes and presses his lips onto mine. 

I gasp. "What are you doing?" 

Fintan opens his eyes again. A tear rolls down his cheek. "No..." he pleads. 

Posted

She wriggles away from me, pushing my hands from her arms. She forces herself out of her bed, putting her weight on her good leg. Her arms hug her body protectively as she stares me down with a look of confusion and slight annoyance.

"What the hell was that?" she spits.

"I- uhh..." What am I supposed to say? I try my best to swallow the lump in my throat, to formulate a sentence, but I can't utter so much as a word. How could she forget?

Her jaw pushes forward as she glares at me. "What the hell was that?" she repeats. When I don't say anything, she continues. "You think you can just kiss me like that? You can't do that Fintan! Don't you have any semblance of respect for me?"

As I look at her expression I feel a bubble of anger forming inside of me. Not at her, but at Avani, at Majora, at the Bokoblin who slashed at her leg. I'm angry at the magic, that corrosive magic that's seeping through her mind. The magic that made her forget her home, her friends, that made her forget me. Everything that transpired between us has been wiped from her memory like crumbs dusted from a table. And the very thought of that makes my blood boil. I clench my fists into tight balls as she softly shakes her head.

"Maybe it's for the best that you're not going to be here... I think you should leave."

I turn, ripping open the door of the tent as I make my way outside. My pulse is throbbing through my skin as I march into the blinding daylight. Most of the others are already congregated in a group outside, apart from Sheik who we decided needs to stay at the camp. I march right over, and everyone turns to face me as I approach.

"Let's go," I order, not wasting time with a greeting.

Posted

Deciding not to bother Fintan for the moment -he doesn't seem in the mood to talk with anyone- I make my way to Zelda. Fintan is at Link's side, his eyes downcast. Sault stands next to Leoni, the pair of them chatting briefly.

"Alright," says Link. "Let's head off."

The Hylians whistle for their Loftwings, and the birds come swooping down to retrieve us.

"Ready, Caoilainn?" Zelda asks. 

"Of course." 

She helps me onto the birds and I lace my fingers around Zelda's waist, hanging on as the bird takes off at amazing speed into the sky. 

The wind whips my hair about me, and it's an  effort to stay silent. Not being able to see anything as you're flying through the air is a little daunting. 

But after a short while, Zelda is preparing me for our landing. After a moment of free-falling, Zelda and I land squarely on Skyloft. 

"It's good to be back here," Zelda says happily. "This place makes me feel like a whole other person."

"It's very peaceful," I agree. "Even if we are here to recruit forces."

"Which is unfortunate," Zelda says with a sigh. "I hate to see my people- that is, the people of Skyloft, have to fight."

I don't respond to that, frowning at her initial choice of words. "Hylia slipped in for a second?"

"It happens sometimes," Zelda tells me. "A little more often than usual, lately."

"Hmm..." I'm not sure what I can really say; her tone isn't giving away anything and I can't see her expression.

"Anyways," she says a little more loudly, "lets go and talk to my father."

Posted

Deciding not to bother Fintan for the moment -he doesn't seem in the mood to talk with anyone- I make my way to Zelda. Fintan is at Link's side, his eyes downcast. Sault stands next to Leoni, the pair of them chatting briefly.

"Alright," says Link. "Let's head off."

The Hylians whistle for their Loftwings, and the birds come swooping down to retrieve us.

"Ready, Caoilainn?" Zelda asks. 

"Of course." 

She helps me onto the birds and I lace my fingers around Zelda's waist, hanging on as the bird takes off at amazing speed into the sky. 

The wind whips my hair about me, and it's an  effort to stay silent. Not being able to see anything as you're flying through the air is a little daunting. 

But after a short while, Zelda is preparing me for our landing. After a moment of free-falling, Zelda and I land squarely on Skyloft. 

"It's good to be back here," Zelda says happily. "This place makes me feel like a whole other person."

"It's very peaceful," I agree. "Even if we are here to recruit forces."

"Which is unfortunate," Zelda says with a sigh. "I hate to see my people- that is, the people of Skyloft, have to fight."

I don't respond to that, frowning at her initial choice of words. "Hylia slipped in for a second?"

"It happens sometimes," Zelda tells me. "A little more often than usual, lately."

"Hmm..." I'm not sure what I can really say; her tone isn't giving away anything and I can't see her expression.

"Anyways," she says a little more loudly, "lets go and talk to my father."

Posted

I'm so confused... Why did he do that? Why did he kiss me? Does he like me or something? Fintan would never do that... What's going on? 

Not that I can ask anyone, they're all gone, and I'm alone. 

Alone, and confused. 

I sigh. My life is a mess. My friends are gone to fight something I can't remember, with people I've never heard of before, though I probably have. What if I wake up and don't know who I am anymore? What if my friends come back and I forgot who they are? 

I try to sleep until I notice that I'm crying again. 

Posted

I'm not entirely that familiar with Skyloft, but Sault and Leoni wanted to pair up, as did Caoilainn and Zelda, leaving me and Link. Each pair has at least one person from Skyloft, which is a bonus. Although I'm not all too familiar with Link, he and I have never really communicated apart from where necessary. He watches me with a cautionary expression as we make our way across Skyloft to Zurin's little house.

"He lives just the other side of this river," Link says, motioning to the little bridge just ahead.

"Uh-huh," I mutter. I still can't shake this lingering anger, the annoyance, the slight bitter sting of rejection. How could she forget?"

"Do you want to... talk about something?" he asks, a little weary.

I shake my head. "Nope. We've got a job to do."

He nods, admitting defeat as we cross over the bridge and head up to Zurin's home. Judging by the state of it, it must be the newest house in Skyloft. Link knocks confidently on the door, and it's opened by a tall, pale man who greets us with a warm smile.

"Link!" he beams. "It's good to see you! And its... Fintan, am I right?" I nod, and he steps back, inviting us inside. "Come on in," he says. "What can I do for you?"

Posted

Zelda guides me over a bridge and up a flight of steps to what must be the Knight Academy.

"So, Zelda," I say curiously. "Did everyone sleep in this one big building, then?"

"Almost all of us, yes," Zelda tells me, and I listen to the way her tone turns nostalgic. "It was quite a nice arrangement, it helped us to grow closer, I think."

"I can't imagine being in such close proximity to everyone," I remark. "I mean, Fintan and the other Sheikah are pretty okay but -don't tell them I said this- I don't think I could stand to be sleeping next to them, waking up at the same time as them and whatnot. I like having my own schedule."

"I see..." Zelda murmurs. "We really aren't alike, are we?"

"How do you figure?" I ask, as I hear the sound of doors being pushed open.

"Well, I've always loved being around people," Zelda tells me. "And you prefer to be alone. And while I've never had any training in fighting, you're... well, you're a powerhouse!"

"Thanks," I mutter, mulling over those words and the fact that we are polar opposites. I'm the furthest thing imaginable from a goddess... Hm.

"Here's my father's quarters," Zelda says. "Let's hope he's willing to offer some knights..."

Posted

((I've been kind of behind on posting lately so I'll do a double feature here! First part is Zurin's POV, the second under the --- is for Sault))

After catching up and leading his guests to the living room, Zurin listened to the plight of the Sheikah. "Basically, we need some more powerful allies to get rid of Avani and her forces." Link put it bluntly. "I will certainly help you out though what you've said about this Demon Lord worries me." Zurin replied. "I've never even heard of a demon by the name of Avani, let alone a Demon Lord. Her origins are a complete mystery even to me, but I suppose Batreaux might have an idea about it."

Naturally Fintan was disappointed at his lack of information on Avani, but Link seemed very surprised. "Believe me, I feel as confused as you do." Zurin continued. "Even a millennia of exile wouldn't have given enough time for a Demon Lord that powerful to show up. Blagdan, Ardaia, Batreaux and myself... we are the product of a thousand years of training, and Avani has outstripped us all. Suffice to say, I plan to look into this."

---

Sault and Leoni took the usual route to see Batreaux. As usual, he greeted them with a beaming smile and loads of excitement. When Leoni asked for his assistance in the battle with Avani and Majora, he didn't skip a beat in offering to help in what ways he could. "Er... if you don't mind, I have one more question for you." Sault asked with anxiety. It was such an easy question, but he'd lost all his composure before he'd barely said anything. Leo realized this and spoke on his friend's behalf. "We needed to know, who are Sault's parents?" The question was asked, and maybe it was Leoni's assertiveness that did the trick, but Batreaux finally seemed ready to answer. "... Sault, you had wonderful parents. They were great knights who watched over Skyloft, until one day they found me. Even though it was their job to kill monsters like me, your mother and father helped me survive, gave me a home, and kept me a secret from the others..."

It was clear Batreaux was being dead serious, and given how unusual that was Sault knew this was all very important to him. Of course, he was amazed his parents were knights and friends of a Demon Lord, but somehow it felt like Batreaux was just as important to them as he was. He felt like... a brother to him now, in a way. "Your mother gave birth to you soon after I met them, and after leaving the academy they visited me every night. I still remember you as a baby... and then..." The story was getting tough for the demon now, and he was beginning to even tear up a bit. "...then... one night there was a storm... they wanted to visit anyway to make sure I was safe, but... the winds were strong and... all three of you..." It was no good, at that point Batreaux was overcome by emotion. Sault was frozen in his seat as Leoni comforted the Demon Lord.

His parents had died falling from Skyloft. Why... how was he able to survive?

Posted

"Here you go Melaina," a girl around 15 says to me while handing me a bowl of soup. 

"Thanks," I mutter. 

She smiles and sits down next to me. She starts to talk about the camp, but honestly I don't care. I'm not comfortable with people I don't know around me. I want her gone, and my friends back. Every morning, I have to repeat for myself who I am. 

Your name is Melaina. You're 17 years old. You're a Sheikah. Your friends are called Fintan, Sault and Caoilainn. You grew up with them. They are on a mission. You're good at archery and at playing the harp (which I only know because Fintan told me). Your parents are dead.

That's my daily routine. Then a young Sheikah comes to me to bring me food 3 times a day but I'm not allowed out of my tent. Sheik's orders. I spend my days reading and over thinking everything. Truth is, I'm so bored and the only thing that I want, is my friends to come back. I miss them. Heck, they could be dead without me knowing it. My heads throbbing so I decide to go to sleep. 

The next morning, I repeat my routine. Your name is Melaina. You're 17 years old. I look down at my clothes. You're a Sheikah. Your friends are called Fintan, Sault and a girl named Caoilainn. You grew up with them. They are on a mission. Your parents are dead.

A boy comes in, right on time. "Hi Melaina."

I don't say anything back. He puts a plate with food on it on the table next to my bed. 

"So, what are you going to do today?" he asks. 

"I don't know," I reply. 

"Feel like reading?" he stands up and picks up a book for me. He places it on my lap. I open it. 

"What language is this?" I ask, confused. It's written in weird symbols I've never seen before. 

"What do you mean?" he asks and he grabs the book. "Looks normal to me. Is something wrong?" 

"Oh, no of course not," I smile to him. "Thanks."

He smiles back and he leaves. 

A sob escapes my mouth. I forgot how to read.

Posted (edited)

We thank Sault for all his help, say our goodbyes, and then head out onto the island. I don't think I could ever get used to living somewhere like Skyloft. It's beautiful, remarkable - the pathways are paved with cobblestone and the streets are lined with bunting that ripples gently in the warm breeze. There's always a soft clicking noise from the flying air shop and the gentle trickle of a waterfall that makes no geographical or physical sense to me.

But it's perpetually peaceful, or at least appears to be. It's wonderful, but somewhere so quiet would grow irritating after a while. I like having missions - things to do and problems to solve. I don't know who I'd be otherwise.

Link leads me into the bazaar, a dimly lit, crowded building with a canvas roof. He takes me to a wooden table and orders us a drink each. We're here to kill time while we wait for the others to finish their jobs before we head back to camp.

"What Zurin said still baffles me..." Link mutters as the friendly waitress lays down our drinks on the table. "How could Avani have risen to her lofty powers so quickly?"

"I don't know..." I reply. "All I know is that she needs to be stopped, she's done enough damage already."

I take a sip of my drink, but it doesn't ease the bitter taste behind my lips. I hate the thought of what Avani's magic did to Melaina, and maybe it's selfish, but above all I'm worried. I'm worried she'll never remember how to play the harp, she'll never remember her friends... she'll never remember how we fell in love. The very thought of that kills me inside.

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)