Religion

817 posts in this topic

Posted

Amen brother.

Posted

Bless you sir.

Posted (edited)

I may convert to Christianity just so I can worship you, Jesus.

lol. post 666 in this topic.

Edited by Min (see edit history)

Posted

My friend Brent is mormon. He has to stop trying to convert me. I'm even dating a mormon girl.

Luckily shes not trying to convert me... So if she ever gets an account on here...

Thank you Ashley!!!

Posted

yeah totally, you know what you should do, make her commit sin.

bom bom bom bom.

A guy finds two golden plates and the texts change every time and he lost them

bom bom bom bommmm

The idiots believe him

bom bom bom bommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted

They sing 'dumb.'

That's why later they sing 'smart' when the guy's wife isn't being a moron.

Posted

oh right THANK YOU FOR THAT CORRECTION

Posted

I just watched that episode of South Park too. Weird.

Posted

I just watched that episode of South Park too. Weird.

Weird?

No.

Miracle.

Posted

:offtopic:

Serious discussions, guys.

Posted

Mormons.

People who are SO patriotic they ACTUALLY believe that Jesus visited the USA.

BECAUSE THE USA IS SO AWESOME HE /MUST/ HAVE.

Here comes the flamin'.

Posted

LOLOLOLOL POLYGAMY!!!!!

Yeah... Oh don't worry about the sin thing. Ive got that covered :wacko:

LOLOLOLOL SIN!!! POLYGAMY!!!!! Ha Ha Haa!!...Ha!

Posted (edited)

In some terrifying paradoxical way, atheists like myself tend to take the Bible more seriously than it's practitioners do.

With that completely useless point made, on to why I'm an infidel!

First of all, religion is a double-edged sword. If you deny this, you obviously don't know what fanaticism is, or the Crusades, or the witch-hunts that burned thousands of people at the stake, or, actually, 9/11. All these events were inspired and carried out due in no small part to religion. But religion, when you're not fundamentally believing in every aspect of it, is actually quite healthy and makes for a mutual community gathering every Sunday morning.

However, I find it silly to cherry-pick from the Bible and claim thereafter to be a practitioner of it, and I cannot believe what is in it. Therefore, I am an atheist.

Specifically speaking, I find the ideas of heaven and hell, believe or burn, and a personal God to be unbelievable, or at the very least unethical. Heaven and hell is one of the most ridiculously cut-and-dry systems I've ever heard of (imagine if in courts the only two punishments were to be let off free or given a death sentence. That's heaven and hell in a nutshell). Believe-or-burn is obviously a measure used to ensure the followers of the religion stay followers and also a cheap scare tactic used to recruit nonbelievers, and also brings up questions like what happens to the atheist firefighter as opposed to the Christian serial pleasure killer.

And as to the idea of a personal God, I find it impossible that an all-knowing, all-powerful, universe-spanning entity would take any interest whatsoever in a group of primitive carbon-based creatures and whether each individual one does good deeds.

But I could be wrong. Though these are my deductions and beliefs (or, rather, lack OF beliefs), I have nothing to necessarily prove them short of some basic, crude reasoning, and I certainly don't look down on somebody for believing in reincarnation or God or any other number of religious beliefs.

Now watch as I get uberflamed. And bring popcorn.

Edited by Larvinator (see edit history)

Posted

In some terrifying paradoxical way, atheists like myself tend to take the Bible more seriously than it's practitioners do.

With that completely useless point made, on to why I'm an infidel!

First of all, religion is a double-edged sword. If you deny this, you obviously don't know what fanaticism is, or the Crusades, or the witch-hunts that burned thousands of people at the stake, or, actually, 9/11. All these events were inspired and carried out due in no small part to religion. But religion, when you're not fundamentally believing in every aspect of it, is actually quite healthy and makes for a mutual community gathering every Sunday morning.

However, I find it silly to cherry-pick from the Bible and claim thereafter to be a practitioner of it, and I cannot believe what is in it. Therefore, I am an atheist.

Specifically speaking, I find the ideas of heaven and hell, believe or burn, and a personal God to be unbelievable, or at the very least unethical. Heaven and hell is one of the most ridiculously cut-and-dry systems I've ever heard of (imagine if in courts the only two punishments were to be let off free or given a death sentence. That's heaven and hell in a nutshell). Believe-or-burn is obviously a measure used to ensure the followers of the religion stay followers and also a cheap scare tactic used to recruit nonbelievers, and also brings up questions like what happens to the atheist firefighter as opposed to the Christian serial pleasure killer.

And as to the idea of a personal God, I find it impossible that an all-knowing, all-powerful, universe-spanning entity would take any interest whatsoever in a group of primitive carbon-based creatures and whether each individual one does good deeds.

But I could be wrong. Though these are my deductions and beliefs (or, rather, lack OF beliefs), I have nothing to necessarily prove them short of some basic, crude reasoning, and I certainly don't look down on somebody for believing in reincarnation or God or any other number of religious beliefs.

Now watch as I get uberflamed. And bring popcorn.

I don't think you'll get flamed. I certanly agree with everything you said.

Posted

I'm only going to bother making one post in response to larvinator.

Please don't judge all christians by the extremists. The crusades may have started with the intention to take back the holy land, but before the first crusade had endid the monarchy had turned them into a way to get what they wanted. It had almost nothing to do with the Bible.

Also, the problem occurs when you do pick and choose what to believe, not when you believe completely. The extremists often site Deuteronomy to justify their actions, but that book was nullified when Jesus died for us. Also, Deuteronomy was meant as a rule book to keep us pure, not to justify killing your neighbors.