Does Anyone Actually Favor Majora's Mask?

116 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A friend had given me this game a few years ago and I don' think I've ever finished it. Some things are cool, like being able to change into a Goron etc and the abilities you get. But it's still not my my favorite game. I've only played 3 Zelda games, OOT, MM and TP.

I don't like a lot of the music especially Termina Field. Most of the game seems dark. I hate that when you beat the bosses, you gotta do it every time you reset the game, at least you don't have to go through the dungeons and collect the keys and stuff all over again.

I'm having a hard time deciding which is my favorite, OOT or TP.

Edited by Midna (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

I don't like a lot of the music especially Hyrule Termina field.

Fix'd

Also, play The Wind Waker. That will solve the problem you have about not knowing your favourite Zelda game.

Edited by Rain (see edit history)

Posted

Fix'd

Also, play The Wind Waker. That will solve the problem you have about not knowing your favourite Zelda game.

Thank you.

Posted

It's my favorite. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Posted

i have been waiting for the sequel for years now :wacko:

Posted

i have been waiting for the sequel for years now :wacko:

Same here, but it may never happen. Kinda late.

Posted

MM is arguably better than OoT.

Majora's Mask introduced an extremely unique experience, and ironically, it was by recycling old things and introducing a supposed repetition. Majora's Mask was intentionally made into a dark (psychologically) game, which makes it possibly the darkest Zelda title to date.

Majora's Mask wasn't clearly meant to be played by all ages, as its difficulty curve was more drastic than the more easygoing OoT, but it's still a classic in the Zelda series and sticks out as many people's favorites.

It's one of my favorites. The plot, main and background, was incredibly absorbing and very... deep. The characters in MM had more depth than any other Zelda characters. They had a schedule, dreams... there was even a romance in it. Nintendo didn't leave any stops unpulled when they made this game. It didn't sugarcoat the story and since it used OoT's engine, the gameplay and graphics were top notch.

And even though you reset three days over and over, it always seemed like a new experience every time you entered Clock Town. But all the time, you look at the peaceful townsfolk and think, "They don't know how severe this situation is".

It makes you a hero, to push through so much emotional and physical hardships. That's what Majora's Mask is to the series. Link being a hero who isn't superhuman, devoid of emotions or respect, who learns and is under pressure.

I'm sorry if I came off like I have my head in the clouds-- I get absorbed into fantasy worlds like this.

Really, you should play Majora's Mask all the way through, and pay attention.

And after that, play some other Zelda games.

They're all astounding, I assure you.

Sahaqiel

Posted

OMFG!!!

i just realized that when i played MM, there was a glitch where you got Majoras mask, but turned into Oni-Link, but the face was still Majora...... i think i might remember it..... lemme just think.........

Posted

I think I'm going to have to call you out and say you're lying.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Yes i am lying, i dunno why...... maybe its cuz i have had too many slurpees..... those things are a legal way to get high XD

Posted

It is by far my favorite zelda game. This wonderful article explains why: http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/20...nintendos-fluke

This article expresses my feelings about the game almost completely.

Maturity is something I thirst for in video games, and Majora's Mask is one of the few games to quench that thirst for a little while. Final Fantasy games tend to do that too, notably IV, VI, VII, IX, and X. Another two games that did that were Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. The maturity level of those games are a cut above every other game. Hell, Wind Waker is by far more mature than Left 4 Dead, Silent Hill, God of War, or Condemned ever thought of being. Sex, violence, and cursing do not make a game mature. Games with too much gore and sex come off as a bit childish.

Majora's Mask is a game that gives such a deep level of maturity without the gore and sex that it deserves the highest praise. Granted, Ocarina of Time is my favorite Zelda, because to me it represents the true, untainted Zelda experience. But that doesn't take away from what Majora's Mask has done. It pushes the realm of maturity in video games to a whole new level, past the crap and into a truly rewarding and moving experience. I understand, though, why a lot of people are turned off by it. It taps into a part of us that our culture isn't used to recognizing, and it takes a conscious effort to comprehend it all. It takes maturity, real maturity, and that comes at different stages in life for different people.

To answer your initial question: I favor Majora's Mask. I would give all the money in my savings to see more games as mature as it was in the future.

Posted (edited)

I just read the article.

That basically sums it up.

Being the superhuman hero with a gun and a foul mouth and sex addiction isn't for mature audiences. Mature shouldn't be applied to games like that. It would be better if it were something like, "Rated I for Inappropriate".

Majora's Mask handcrafted a new genre unbeknownst to the gaming community, that which we call genuinely mature.

Granted, as the article said, it was not a safe title. It took risks.

Altogether, those risks produced a gem. Those primal emotions... fear, hopelessness, powerlessness. They really get you emotionally drained.

Twilight Princess, compared to Majora's Mask, was cartoonish. Moreso than Wind Waker's style.

Link could survive lava, barely suffered a hardship, could hack his way through anything. Link's only faltering moment in that game was when he was chained as a wolf, and even then, he had an easy way out. Impending doom was how long you left your console on. I'm not saying the game needs a time limit, it's just that the antagonist never seemed like one.

Sure, people are spirits. But why? So some dude could control the world.

Typical villain, right?

Skull Kid/Majora... Skull Kid suffered loneliness. He went to that dark place. Majora's mask took advantage of this weakness. The taunting and seemingly childish antagonist had no other desire than to wipe out the world because it was in its nature. It seemed to enjoy it greatly. It was fun.

Majora's Mask wasn't figured out, either. With Ganondorf, it's blind rage and greed. It's as simple as that. He did have benevolent reasons in Wind Waker, but all in all, he seems like a shallow villain. Majora is shrouded in mystery, and even if it was just doing it for fun, to what purpose was it created for? Why is it here? When I fought through dungeons thinking about facing Majora, it felt like I was really facing an evil entity. A being I could be afraid of.

The Stone Tower Temple also had an extremely ominous message hidden in it.

The world was wrong, twisted, falling apart, and characters you had time to get attached to are thrown without mercy. The townsfolk each had a personality and you just had to save them. If not, they were certainly going to die, without pulling any punches, they would be wiped out and you would never see them again.

I'd have to say the Kafei/Anju quest's ending had me the most emotional I've ever been with a video game.

This darkness and emotionally fatiguing experience is something sorely missed in the Zelda series.

I only hope Nintendo can deliver one more fluke.

Sahaqiel

Edited by Sahaqiel (see edit history)

Posted

I think that Majora's Mask failed to do for me what many people claim it did for them, which was offering a mature experience. It had deep characters and so on, but the game reminded me more of a fairy tale than of a mature story concerning a boy fighting a terrible demonic mask. Afterall, the four giants and the whole east, north, west and south scheme help back this up. It's basically as dark as your imagination lets it be, but Zelda has never been about being dark to me, that's not what I want from the series. Majora's Mask reminds me of a fairy tale where the hero finds himself in a strange land, where he has to battle a villain who is stereotypically mean and selfish.

I think the twist at the end with the mask revealing itself as the one in control breaks away from the fairy-tale feeling, though. That was an unexpected part, but then again, I guess it was expected as well.

Dungeons could have been very much better if they had just been greater in numbers. Woodfall isn't too bad for a starting temple, but out of all four of the dungeons Stone Tower was the only one I really liked because it really took it to the next level with the whole upside-down scheme. Snowhead and Great Bay both felt meh in comparison, and on their own they weren't really compelling either. Kinda like Jabu-Jabu's Belly in OoT.

Overall, I quite enjoyed MM, it's in my top 15 of favorite games I've ever played, but I feel that it could have been so very much more. The story doesn't cut it for me. The NPCs are only compelling for so long. It has no real replay value with me because it's so short. It's not perfect (nor is any Zelda game for that matter) but I find the few flaws it does have to be big and dumbing down my experience with the game.

Posted

After reading everything Sahaqiel said, I feel somewhat bad about bashing Wind Waker. I don't know why though.

However it clearly was a mature game. My friend wasn't mature enough for it I can say that much, but the game was so much more than maturity.

The true meaning of the game was friendships and how they last forever even when people are split up. I found this out while doing the kids mission things on the moon, and they each said something different.

Crap I can't find quotes of what they say, but they ask meaning full questions that ask you about your friends, what kind of friend you are, and about things that make you happy and if it makes others happy. Sadly I can't find the quotes from them.