Does Anyone Actually Favor Majora's Mask?

116 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I think that Majora's Mask failed to do for me what many people claim it did for them, which was offering a mature experience.[...]

But see, those traits you described... How it was a fairy tale, how the villain was mean and selfish. These are traits that made it compelling. You were being knocked down by what seemed like an unpredictable child who enjoyed dealing death and destruction, which made it, essentially, disturbing. Everything seemed alright, but that was just on the outside.

All the things that seemed like a fairy tale aren't... how do I say it... really relevant? Link, for the first time ever, couldn't save lives. People were dying outside his control, right in front of him. In summary, it does seem like a fairy tale, but what's wrong with that? You can have a mature fairy tale.

I assure you, especially for a game of its time, it's a very mature experience. It dealt with a serious subject, death, as it should be taken. With much seriousness. You were really fighting for salvation. I'd like to see what you consider mature.

Dungeons could have been very much better if they had just been greater in numbers. Woodfall isn't too bad for a starting temple, but out of all four of the dungeons Stone Tower was the only one I really liked because it really took it to the next level with the whole upside-down scheme. Snowhead and Great Bay both felt meh in comparison, and on their own they weren't really compelling either. Kinda like Jabu-Jabu's Belly in OoT.

The dungeons could have been greater in number, maybe. I really thought the level design in those temples were pretty good, though.

Stone Tower's level design was particularly ingenious-- everything worked perfectly upside down.

Overall, I quite enjoyed MM, it's in my top 15 of favorite games I've ever played, but I feel that it could have been so very much more.[...]

I'm sorry, but why would a long game have more replay value? It's not like I haven't replayed a long game, but shorter games consume less time. It's like, why would I watch something of lesser quality like Naruto, which has 1789237047129347 episodes, or watch a very good anime that is only 24 episodes? Sure, the main storyline isn't too long, but you could fulfill the sidequests if you want to. I pretty much took as much time as I did with OoT in MM. The NPC's are definitely more captivating as many other Zelda characters.

I'm sorry you didn't get into the story. ;/ It really was touching.

Also, YLA, the only reason I can think of is because you know I defend Wind Waker, but only now you realized it's because I genuinely put my heart and soul into games, not because I want to annoy you?

I do plan on developing them. Like Shigeru, you have to genuinely enjoy what you do.

Sahaqiel

Edited by Sahaqiel (see edit history)

Posted

I rather liked Majora's Mask, and would say that it is my favourite of the Zelda games. That and Wind Waker were absolutely brilliant, and I must confess that for as great as Ocarina of Time was and is, Majora's mask just seems...deeper. The characters seem more dynamic, with the side stories, quests, and interesting things that happen in the background during the story. Ocarina of Time seems to be static, with you going to point A, then B, then C without stopping anywhere in between. Majora's mask has side quests that are difficult, but they add another dimension to the game.

Not to mention the fact that it is grotesque, psychological, and generally dark. All qualities that I enjoy greatly in a game. So yeah, this is one of my favourite Zelda games, and possibly even my favourite game of all time.

Posted

Majora's Mask is deffinantly better than OOT.

It is the hardest 3D Zelda game. Therefore it is my favorite 3D Zelda.

Posted

No, Leneth.

No.

Zelda II.

Multitudes harder.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Oh man, that was harder. I want to point out that he said it's the hardest 3D Zelda game, and as a result his favourite 3D Zelda.

Posted

Shadow knight speaks the troof.

And I found 2nd quest on Zelda I harder than ZeldaII when I played them both.

Posted

Oh, my bad.

Also, what? The dungeons were just switched around.

Zelda II was tough as trying to stop molten nails traveling at the speed of sound.

Incidentally, Midna, what say you?

Sahaqiel

Posted

Incidentally, Midna, what say you?

Sahaqiel

What???

Posted

:|

You're serious.

We've all spent our time telling you how we favor Majora's Mask and you have nothing to say about it?

Not a, "Oh, I never saw it like that, I should pick it up", or a, "I'm going to not play games because they look cool, rather, because they play cool"?

Jesus, why do you make threads?

Sahaqiel

Posted

:|

You're serious.

We've all spent our time telling you how we favor Majora's Mask and you have nothing to say about it?

Not a, "Oh, I never saw it like that, I should pick it up", or a, "I'm going to not play games because they look cool, rather, because they play cool"?

Jesus, why do you make threads?

Sahaqiel

The comment "what say you" didn't make sense. I haven't read all the comments yet becuse I've been busy so i haven't gave noo thought in it yet. Sorry, but I will later.

Posted

"What say you" makes sense, but it's in more of an older english style.

Also, don't quote posts directly above you, unless you quote only specific parts of it.

Sahaqiel

Posted

2nd Quest was harder. the dungeons were made harder. In the 2nd dungeon were monsters that could kill you in two hits.

Posted (edited)

But see, those traits you described... How it was a fairy tale, how the villain was mean and selfish. These are traits that made it compelling. You were being knocked down by what seemed like an unpredictable child who enjoyed dealing death and destruction, which made it, essentially, disturbing. Everything seemed alright, but that was just on the outside.

All the things that seemed like a fairy tale aren't... how do I say it... really relevant? Link, for the first time ever, couldn't save lives. People were dying outside his control, right in front of him. In summary, it does seem like a fairy tale, but what's wrong with that? You can have a mature fairy tale.

I assure you, especially for a game of its time, it's a very mature experience. It dealt with a serious subject, death, as it should be taken. With much seriousness. You were really fighting for salvation. I'd like to see what you consider mature.

What I consider mature isn't a theme like death (death itself at least, but rather circumstances of death). Death is overrated as a mature subject - it's like claiming Lion King to be a mature movie when it deals around the death of a major character, i.e. Mufasa, and in other Disney movies we also see deaths. What is relevant to the story was not how people were dying around Link, but how he could stop the moon from falling, which he finally succeeded in doing. Fairy tales often deal around what you'd consider mature subjects, like the end of the world or deaths, but they are still fairy tales. That was my point. There's nothing wrong with it, but it differs from the 'mature' feeling people seem to get from this game.

(Also, by villain I was referring to the Skull Kid, not Majora's Mask, who was only revealed as the real bad guy at the end)

The dungeons could have been greater in number, maybe. I really thought the level design in those temples were pretty good, though.

Stone Tower's level design was particularly ingenious-- everything worked perfectly upside down.

Well, yes, Stone Tower was brilliant, but Woodfall felt uninspired and pretty meh, and Snowhead ranged from boring to slightly compelling. A good temple I consider one that I could go through again and again and again without feeling like I'm doing a chore. In Majora's Mask, only Stone Tower, and to an extent, Great Bay, would fit under that category.

I'm sorry, but why would a long game have more replay value? It's not like I haven't replayed a long game, but shorter games consume less time. It's like, why would I watch something of lesser quality like Naruto, which has 1789237047129347 episodes, or watch a very good anime that is only 24 episodes? Sure, the main storyline isn't too long, but you could fulfill the sidequests if you want to. I pretty much took as much time as I did with OoT in MM. The NPC's are definitely more captivating as many other Zelda characters.

I'm sorry you didn't get into the story. ;/ It really was touching.

Replay value in MM would come straight from the sidequests, because as I mentioned above I found only Stone Tower and Great Bay to be worth going back for. I could never bring myself to do the Kafei/Anju sidequest all over again, it's just not worth it. Majora's Mask's story just isn't enough for me to say that I want to go and do it again, at least not for a long while. I find this to be a great shame, but it's the reality. It felt short to me, and what it did offer wasn't enough. Ergo, it doesn't offer replay value to me because it's short.

I did find the Skull Kid and the Four Giants part to be touching, somewhat, but apart from that it's all in the sidequests. I just don't think sidequests can redeem a game to such an extent :P

Edited by Abyss Master (see edit history)

Posted

The moon I admit was fairly dissapointing. Although the Goron Maze made up for it.

Posted (edited)

It wasn't death it was themed upon.

It was the feeling of hopelessness. In most Zelda games, Link invariably saves everyone, but here, he was powerless. People were dying, but that wasn't the point. He couldn't save them. He couldn't be the legendary hero that left zero casualties. People lead lives of their own, but could easily be extinguished. They had their daily lives, romances, and dreams. And that's what I meant. If dying made a game mature, then I'd have to admit Dead Rising or Evil Dead is mature, and I definitely will never do that.

If I didn't know any better, I would say you haven't played the game at all, no offense.

Still want to know what you consider mature.

This is all opinion, but I can't seriously look you in your username and say Majora's Mask needed redeeming. :|

Seriously, wtf.

Sahaqiel

Edited by Sahaqiel (see edit history)