Religion?

106 posts in this topic

Posted

Joe rhymes with "yo"... Doesn't it?

Posted

It rhymes, yeah. What does that have to do with it?

Posted

Oh, I see what you are saying now. I misunderstood.

Posted

But man, the most backwards religion I can think of is Christianity. Not Christians, per se, as they a lot of times misrepresent Christianity. Not all people that call themselves Christians are true Christians, they just say they are. But that's a whole other topic altogether.

Christianity is about a God that makes imperfect people who choose to disobey him and get cursed to spend eternity away from him. Except, he sends his son down to be tortured and crucified and through his love and sacrifice, the people can be redeemed with God and can be saved. It's like, if I was a God with infinite power and abilities, I wouldn't think twice about a little, insignificant human being. But, in his world, the last is first. Those who are sick, weak, humble, poor, and depressed will be first in his kingdom. It's so out there and completely opposite of how our world is that it begs the question "Is this fiction or divine comedy?"

Posted

I think it would be cool to be a Buddhist. I saw this thing on Buddhism once, and apparently, he wasn't actually ever fat.

The Buddha's real name was Sadartha Guatama, he is said to have been the first to reach enlightenment. He was a rich prince who gave up his life to live in solitude and poverty to reach a state of enlightenment. The image of the fat "Buddha" is not meant to signify him in life, but in the plentiful state of enlightenment, which transcends all human boundaries and knowledge, and is the state all Buddhists wish to achieve.

Posted

That's interesting, Skippy. One of my classmates was Buddhist, but I never got around to asking him much about it. Nice guy.

I checked off both Neo-pagan and agnostic, because that's kind of where I am right now. I used to practice a form of neo-paganism, and still do to an extent, but I'm going through a period of uncertainty. Who knows how long it will last. I don't see it as a bad thing, or contradicting neo-paganism, because it emphasizes that everyone has their own path to follow.

Posted

Voted Catholic and Agnostic.

Raised Catholic, am Agnostic.

And as you said in the first post, you're not trying to start a religion war, but don't worry. This is the internet, so it will definitely become a religion war.

Posted

I was also raised Catholic.

Posted

you were raised catholic, but what do you believe, what, if anything do you practice?

Posted

I thought I've already stated this? Ah well. I was raised Catholic, became Atheist (7th grade), got really into the occult but didn't practice any religion (8th-10th grade), returned to Atheism (10th-11th grade). Then I met a kid one summer and he is the coolest person on Earth, but he doesn't shut up about Jesus. He keeps trying to convert me, and I feel it slowly taking over.... So I call myself Agnostic, 'cause I believe in a God, but I dunno it's identity. I'd really like to be a Christian (not a Catholic though) because believing that there is a Heaven and knowing that I'd be going there seems really nice, but I just can't find myself, nor do I really ever see myself, believing in Jesus. I'm weird, to say the least.

Posted

I'm a Catholic with inflections of Deism who believes in certain principles of Buddhism and Zen Buddhism.

Posted

The Buddha's real name was Sadartha Guatama, he is said to have been the first to reach enlightenment. He was a rich prince who gave up his life to live in solitude and poverty to reach a state of enlightenment. The image of the fat "Buddha" is not meant to signify him in life, but in the plentiful state of enlightenment, which transcends all human boundaries and knowledge, and is the state all Buddhists wish to achieve.

lol I know. I was joking.

Posted

I'm a Catholic with inflections of Deism who believes in certain principles of Zen Buddhism.

so you're a catholic who believes God doesn't interfere in people's lives, the earth, and Karma?

Posted

I like that.

Posted

so you're a catholic who believes God doesn't interfere in people's lives, the earth, and Karma?

Not exactly. I am a Catholic who believes God takes a minimalist approach in interfering in people's lives (for example, God most likely set off all ten plagues of Egypt with a single volcano eruption). As for Karma, I don't believe it's some mystical energy, but when you do good things, you curry favor in the eyes of others, and they are more likely to do good things for you.