Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

oh. i dunno who that is.

Posted

So Tom Waits is a pirate who puts out fires with a giant spoon...

I'm starting to believe that maybe I should listen to his music

Posted

EDA, look at this quote rill quick

http://cadancedance....1wfamPW3Eaw/93/

I have a million bazillion ways to improve this show

That was Tom Waits live

I made it MLP to try and introduce it to you

Here's the video the audio is taken from, you will enjoy it I PROMISE YOU

Posted

He looked like a chef to me, not a pirate. What kind of food does he make?

Posted

Delicious food for the ears

So I'm at a guys house and all of us are going to play tf2 later. EDA will probably be there with me saha and t1g and said multiple guys, and if anyone wants to join us, find us on steam.

Posted

While we're on videos. This still makes no sense.

Posted

You don't get to put that in the same vein as tom waits.

Posted

So this whole suspense thing turned out to be a release of a new tom waits music video for the song "Hell Broke Luce," of the latest album.

No tour, but new Tom Waits music video, so. Also I think this particular song is one of the few if any times he ever actually says "fu ck" in one of his songs.

Phanny and EDA and anyone who doesn't really listen to Tom Waits but for some reason is interested in his music videos, here's a popular and also good one:

And because you guys are clearly uneducated on the topic of Tom Waits, he's a musician that's been in the game for over three decades now and has managed to stay culturally relevant the entire time, though without making much mainstream acclaim. This music video was filmed in Bob Dylan's house, by Bob Dylan's son. He and Bob Dylan have been friends for a long time now, and in fact, where in early Tom Waits albums you can hear him being influence by Dylan, in later Dylan albums you can hear him being influenced by Waits. I'm paraphrasing that quote, because I've never been a huge Bob Dylan fan. But I have Tom Waits' entire published discography of twenty or so albums plus a few b-sides and rarities I had to pull off youtube, because he's so great. I don't think any of those albums have ever been criticized poorly. And then there's the fact that he's made music that is simultaneously new and good for thirty years now, with no signs of stopping (though there was a pretty big gap between the latest CD and the last one, I guess), but I'm going to stop myself now because I'm just rambling about Tom Waits with no real direction or points about him that I want to cover or anything just listen to him he's great.

And while you're at it go watch/read berserk.

Posted

My dad likes Tom Waits a lot. What's He Building In There is a song track I've known and liked for a long time.

Posted

I heard a really slow, minimalistic song playing at a store (from someone's iPod, not the radio. Don't worry pheo)

YEAH WELL okay anyways, if it was slow and minimalistic and on the radio, it was probably "back in the crowd," because that was a single from the latest album and it was slow and minimalistic. But I'm trying to think of really slow and minimalistic Tom Waits tunes that are popular, that someone would most likely be caught listening to if they were listening to Tom Waits, and I'm really just spit balling here because he's got a bunch of songs like that, but maybe it was "You can never hold back spring," or even "let me go," but those are both from the orphans compilation and I don't know how popular that thing was etc etc etc. Maybe it was Hold on, idk. Hold on is good.

In other Tom Waits news, I found a flow chart on 4chan's music board once that displayed what was a surprisingly accurate rendition of "How to get into Tom Waits." It recommends you start with the swordfish trombones album but personally I was first introduced to him via the Rain Dogs album(a classic among classics), as did a bunch of my Tom Waits loving friends, so I usually tell people to start with that one.

uzhby.jpg

Though to be honest I was actually first introduced to Tom Waits via a cover of one of his songs (Tom Waits cover songs sadly get more famous than his typical tunes, jersey girl off Heart attack and vine was famously covered by Bruce Springsteen and the song the album was named for was covered by Jay Hawkins) via a Queens of the Stone Age cover of the song "Goin Out West." If this isn't as hilariously obvious as it is for Tom Waits, I appreciate guys like Josh Homme and Damon Albarn on the same level as Tom Waits. Josh Homme is an active figure in desert rock, which is a genre made up of eight guys in nine bands, so Even though my QOTSA collection is only about 150+ songs, when you add all the songs Josh Homme has dipped his beak into together on my ipod it would probably have just as many songs as I do for Tom Waits, though maybe not, and then I remember that Josh Homme has only been making particularly good music for less than half the time Tom Waits has, so I'm being patient. Damon Albarn sadly is not as prolific as either of them but I'm okay with that. I only mention I like Josh and Damon as much as I like Tom because I know you all want that fuel.

Anyways here's that cover I mentioned.

Posted

And then no one posted because no one wanted to try to respond to pheo rambling about his music tastes again

Understandably

Don't ask me about artists either

Posted

I'm going to start following the flowchart one day

we'll see

I've already enjoyed Closing Time, which is I think his first album? unsure

Posted

im just wondering why pheo didnt make a thread for this, i mean, hes talked about tom for a while now, and hes got enough reasoning and opinions to fill a thread....

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

Good point, Pittoo. Pheo, get on dat shit.

Posted

Too many videos... too little care to watch them all.

So yesterday I learned something. I learned how to wash a chicken. Greatest skill ever to know, right?