Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

57 posts in this topic

Posted

As you all know, the mayans predict the world will end on December 21, 2012. Do you think it is going to happen. Me personally, no or it's the end of the world as we know it. we won't die, but everything will be different. Discuss.

Posted

The fact that you even think about this makes humanity the poorer.

Posted

I do think that all this stuff that is bad happening is a really strange thing, (I mean, I can't remember a whole bunch of natural disasters in between 1992 and 2000, yet there have been like a dozen or more in the past few years) yet simultaneously I'm irritated that they're happening because they're fueling the 2012 panic.

Posted

It seems rather insane to think that all of these natural disasters are going to happen at the same time, don't you think?

I believe that if disasters WILL happen, they'll be popping up throughout the year or something; though I personally doubt it'll be enough to get us onto boats in search of land that will be apparently left.

Posted

Oh, not this bullshit again.

ZOMG GUISE ITS NIBIRU END OF THE WOOOOOOOORLD

Posted

Did someone seriously make a thread about this?

Posted (edited)

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion...

At least it's a nice controversial topic to discuss among the warm embrace of our Hyrule.net family.

This place was being pretty boring anyway, it's nice to see someone post something new.

Personally, I'm along the lines of thinking that the whole "End of the World, 2012" thing is false. However, the possibility of it actually occuring is within my mind, and that greatly saddens me. I don't have a great enough understanding of the universe to actually say for certain, "This will NOT happen."

I, like Saha, am not very fond of all these disasters, and for the same reason he is... Humanity under pressure and panic isn't a good thing to look at, and IMAGINE if it were really to happen. We would not have the self-posessed attitude we would need to to dig into the government's stash of super secret alien technology, which would be helpful in fending off whatever our 2012 fate would be.

As the first pose mentioned, it might be the "End of The World As We Know it." One man that I've heard of has a similar theory. His theory is not that The Earth will be destroyed or any of that unsupported bull. HIS unsupported bull is that Mankind will simply reset. Like a clock resets after unplugging it.

He believes that in the center of the cluster of universes (or whatever), there is a mass of energy, the greatest equivalent to it would be "The Force" from Star Wars. Now, all the universes and a bunch of crap revolve around The Force. It's like the sun, essentially, it feeds mankind. It gives us the ability to think rationally and some stuff like that. However, he thinks something will block The Force for more than a split second, causing an eclipse, which would cause The Force not to transmit it's rays to Earth. Then our minds will revert to those of our primitive ancestors (Cave Peoples).

This theory frightens me...

EDIT: In the poll, you have the option of choosing "I'm all prepared." Could you go into more detail of the nature of that choice?

Edited by Vio Milanor (see edit history)

Posted

The World Ends With You.

Posted

I wasn't the only one thinking that? :D Phew.

Posted

The Mayans never predicted the end of the world to be in 2012, they simply made a calendar that lasted longer than 52 years, which was the longest calendar they had at that time, after that they invented the Maya long count calendar.

The long count calendar used periods of time that were set up like this...

Capture-1.png

If you do the math, the Maya Long Count's cycle is about 5,200 years long, and it is considered linear because it has a designated starting point which was around 3114 BC, it too will run out of unique day names. The end of the current Maya Long Count cycle will occur late in the year 2012.

I.E. With the calendar we use the longest period is 1000 years, or a millennium.

It's just like what happened in 2000, we will hit the end of a calendar, but it will simply roll over to 0 and start counting again just like your clock does every day.

Posted

the mayans predict the world will end on December 21, 2012.

The Mayans' calendar ends at the year 2012. They didn't predict the end of the world.

Lamb it, Silent One. Got to it first. :/

Posted

I don't. I know it's a bunch of bull. Though people at my school believe it because they saw the movie 2012 and think the movie is real and it's based off of what scientists believe will happen and all this other junk. However as stated before it's the end of the calender and they were either a) not smart enough to continue their calender, or B ) they figured all their civilization would be gone by then and just didn't continue it.

Posted

I'm already prepared.

If it happens, I don't need anything because I'd die anyway so why fuss.

And if it doesn't, I don't need anything.

I don't need to prepare for this thing I don't care and am not sure is going to happen what am I talking about.

Posted

the world WILL end, but not in 2012. aperently the myans used base twenty while we use base ten. i saw an add on tv that said "the myan calander predicted it, modern science confirms it, the world will end in 2012. so (insert name of the university here) has given everyone an equal chance of survival, by making a lottery!" and on top of that being a terrible idea, they said the world will end because of a solar flare wich just so happen to be going off all the time!. the worst they have ever done is screw with electronics in small areas.

this whole thing has led me to believe one fact that i am sure most of the people on this site will agree with, that fact is that three quarters of the human populace are complete idiots.

Posted

3.27 quarters.