Discuss Anime and Mang

7276 posts in this topic

Posted

So one of my friends started blogging about tennis anime on tumblr, I don't know which anime it is or which one you guys are always talking about but you should probably follow it

http://isthisrealtennis.tumblr.com/

read the first post a bit, the tumblr looks p great. ive checked the series a bit, though, and it mostly sounded like a huge turnoff to me. in a nutshell, by my understanding:

guy plays tennis

guy is a prodigy

girl likes guy

girl knows nothing about tennis

girl decides to play tennis

girl doesnt learn rules of tennis

guy is also a pompus dick

girl still likes guy, and learns rules of tennis while she watches him play

nowhere in there is the sort of team bonding business that i tend to like in my sports manga.

Posted

yes, your "team bonding"

between "boys"

who are "holding hands because they are meditating"

and are "totally boners for each other"

Posted

"pompous dick" oh I guess you don't like those then

Posted

Been catching up a lot today and yesterday. Only got 4 more episodes of stuff to watch, minus two episodes of K which HorribleSubs haven't managed to get 720p rips of yet, and one episode of Robotics;Notes which isn't out yet, though it probably will be within the next few hours.

Robotics;Notes one will be neat, since the woman who showed up at the end of episode 7 is actually Steins;Gate's Yūgo Tennōji aka Mr Braun's daughter, Nae, now 20 years old and working for JAXA.

Posted

I finally have all the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs, and they've been sitting there. I need a good chunk of time to re-watch the others before I watch the ones that were released earlier this month.

Posted

It's quite nice to finally be caught up with my ongoing shows.

Now to I suppose I can turn my attention back to finished stuff I have sitting around. Those being Accel World, Great Teacher Onizuka, Joshiraku, Monster, Popee the Performer, Read or Die, Real Drive, Soul Eater, UN-GO, and Utena.

Writing that out was painful, I never realised just how many shows I'd started but forgot to continue. In the case of Joshiraku I just wanted to wait for gg to finish subbing it. UN-GO I haven't actually started yet, but I have it here ready to go.

In order of how many episodes I've got to watch before I'm done:

Read or Die (2)

Joshiraku (10)

UN-GO (11)

Accel World (21)

Real Drive (23)

Utena (37)

Great Teacher Onizuka (42)

Soul Eater (50)

Monster (64)

Popee the Performer has 16 left to go, but those are all 4 minutes long.

So excluding Popee the Performer, I've got 260 episodes of things to watch.

Probably enough to be going with.

Posted

Watched The World God Only Knows. 7/10 - Good. Will watch season 2 at some point. Just now though I'm continuing Monster, and I've sealed my fate by starting One Piece.

ARITTAKENO YUME WOOOOOO KAKI ATSUMEEEEEEE

Posted

Write on my grave stone: "rawr xD"

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

So we started anime club in school and we watched SAO. It looks so amazing so I added it to my plan to watch list.

Posted

yes, your "team bonding"

between "boys"

who are "holding hands because they are meditating"

its mostly used as a state-of-mentality tool, otherwise, theyd have to be telepathic to catch on to when someone is nervous or not.

spoiler because emma is watching

while mihashis hand is just perpetually cold,  there are a couple times when abe freaks out, and given how in-control he acts in every game, this would have been completely overlooked. if mihashi in that game had suddenly gone "I THINK ABE IS NERVOUS" without the temperature cue, i would have drop-kicked something. likewise, during an ep where the sidelines were heckling the pitcher, mihashis hand was warm, which screamed "this dude is totally immune to that crap" more than any "im f-f-f-f-f-f-fine" mihashi could stutter (or not stutter) out.

also, its more like a long-duration high-five.

Robotics;Notes one will be neat, since the woman who showed up at the end of episode 7 is actually Steins;Gate's Yūgo Tennōji aka Mr Braun's daughter, Nae, now 20 years old and working for JAXA.

AND SUDDENLY, IM INTERESTED.

seriously, just recently finished steins;gate--that is a slick cameo they pulled there.

Posted

Apparently there were originally cameos in Steins;Gate by Chaos;Head characters in the visual novel, but that didn't make it into the anime adaptation. Robotics;Notes has cameos for Daru, and some other Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head characters, but so far Nae is the only one to show up, since she has a more major role in this show. Wont be surprised if they don't reference Daru etc later on like they do in the visual novel.

The three shows are all adapted from visual novels by the same company, and set in the same universe in different years. Chaos;Head in 2008, Steins;Gate in 2010, and Robotics;Notes in 2019. 

Steins;Gate spoilers:

Attractor Field: 

Alpha, Future: SERN dystopia

Divergence 0.571024% (After first D-mail sent)
Divergence 0.571015% (lottery D-mail)
Divergence 0.523299% (Moeka's D-mail)
Divergence 0.456903% (Ruka's D-mail)
Divergence 0.409420% (Feiris"s D-mail)
Divergence 0.337187% (Okarin's D-mail for stopping Suzuha)
Divergence 0.409431% (Cancellation of the previous D-mail)
Divergence 0.456914% (Cancellation of Feiris's D-mail)
Divergence 0.523307% (Cancellation of Ruka's D-mail)
Divergence 0.571046% (Cancellation of Moeka's D-mail)

Attractor Field: Beta, Future: World War III
Divergence 1.130426% (Episode 1 original world line)
Divergence 1.130205% (Cancellation of first D-mail)

Attractor Field: Not Bounded, Future: Infinite possibilities
Divergence 1.048596% (Steins;Gate world line) (Note: shown in VN)

[source]

What's important there is the Divergence for the final world line in the series, after everything's said and done; 1.048596

The (more or less) first part of the first episode of Robotics;Notes* is simply to confirm on which world line it's based, and that is the infinite possibilities world line at the end of Steins;Gate. Not that that really matters too much for people who are watching Robotics;Notes without watching Steins;Gate, since we can't predict anything and having watched Steins;Gate wont really change the way you see Robotics;Notes. But I just think it's neat that they made sure to tell us which world line we're on.

*which is this:

j0bmB.png

http://www.animecrazy.net/roboticsnotes-episode-1/

So that's pretty much just trivia relating to both Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes in that spoiler, but still potentially spoilery for people who haven't seen Steins;Gate. More or less meaningless for Robotics;Notes though.

Posted

so i started reading this manga, "world embryo". im not entirely sure what im reading, but the enemy design is good. i liked the main character's design, too, but then they changed it and gave him a bit of a stereotypical trope :/

the BLUH I HAVE THIS EVIL THING IN ME AND IT TALKS TO ME AND I MAY OR MAY NOT BECOME ONE OF THEM EXCEPT IM THE MAIN CHARACTER trope.

i wanna see how they handle it, though, because its p angst-free atm. it also has one (1) small child and the main character lies frequently, to the point its as defining a characteristic as his glasses :/

*edit* on the other hand, despite the trope, theyve got this guy

e9.06.jpg?v=11291317250

and said stereotype seems to have been quieted down. i dont think well be seeing any of that sort of angst anytime soon.

Posted

Guys, I realize its probably a stupid thing to ask because I can always just google it, but I'm still historically not that great at finding my own downloads ever since demonoid went down, so can someone just post links to the download locations for tatami galaxy and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure(which was recommended to me by teto, t1g, and phanny, all on different occasions and without knowing anyone else recommended it, so I'm pretty obligated to watch it)?