Skyler's Art Fart

334 posts in this topic

Posted

BlueJay_zps985ed86f.png

Here is a Blue Jay Critter. Blue Jay isn't it's name... I dunno wut that is yet lol. He'll grow into a big bird (like an eagle or hawk) or, if you raise it a special way, into a phoenix. I really like it's beard thing, i'm gonna try to play on that with it's "evolutions"

Posted

Are you thinking of doing this as top down pixels? Sort of like how pokemon games are played?

Posted

yeah, ideally. I think those games are prettiest. But in a more Mother 3ish kind of style.

Posted

Alright. Have you tried fleshing out a concept, and then rendering that concept in pixels? Sort of like that game project you were working on before?

Posted

Not yet. I'm still in the "having fun with ideas" and "not 100% sure wut I want" phase. I wanna go back to school and learn some programming before I figure out any graphical issues. But I'll probably practice with some.

Posted

So there will be one area in the game thats like an eastern temple where you can find monks training themselves and their critters. It's a great place to test your power, as well as find a few new critters. One such critter you not encounter is this little guy

tumblr_mqvwmiMR3j1s66r27o1_500.png

There will be many statues that are identical to this critter near the temple. You'll havta manually inspect each statue until you come across this one. It also has a low spawn rate and randomly switches places with the actual statues, making it an annoying task just to encounter it. Now to make things even MORE difficult, this guy has VERY HIGH defense. Probably the highest of any wild, non boss critter. But also, it has no attacking moves. So he's really annoying, you got that, why waste your time with him? Well he kinda pulls a Magicarp trick, in that he becomes super powerful upon evolution. He changes from Earth Type to Earth/Psychic Type. (Thinking of calling Mind Type "Psychic" or something else). He grows from the size of a toddler to about 7 feet tall. Hes a powerhouse with high defense and special attack.

tumblr_mqvurhyjpq1s66r27o1_1280.png

he'll deff be a huge payout for all the trouble hes worth,

Sayubie and Sahaqiel like this

Posted

little animation test

output_8Elt3I.gif

The moving parts are good but the arm on the left... I feel that it needs a little animation too? I mean, when you walk with a hand on your hip, the hip motion from walking would also affect that arm too, right?

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

Yeah good point. Im not really even sure if im gonna use that style of pixels anyways. I mean i like it but I'm afraid it may be too simple.

Posted

An Ice/Spooky Critter. I'm really tired so i'll talk more about it later.

tumblr_mr1735D1xH1s66r27o1_500.png

Posted

redesign of the last critter

tumblr_mr1jz2nkoN1s66r27o1_500.jpg

Posted

So I guess I missed a lot from what you've posted in your thread. Good on you to want to get back into school for something you really want accomplished. That's fantastic, and it seems you have a lot of designs laid out. Just remember that you shouldn't count on any of these designs to be final, and you might have to change their style or shape if you want to propose this to any teams that might help you; getting help for things like these is essential. It's really hard to get something going with a small team if you're being ambitious, and their tastes might have control over your ideas, and that's okay sometimes. The creator of Pokemon actually went through something similar.

On that topic, do you worry that this might be too similar to other creature battling games, like Pokemon/Digimon, or is this straddling homage? For instance, your second to last post seemed very similar to Zoroark and some Digimon I've seen, and of course the type system and evolutions are very close to other series'. Whatever the case, work hard.

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

Yeah non of these designs are final. The only ones I'm even close to satisfied with are the Werewolf (2nd design, that isnt even finished lol) and the Mermaid. I'd welcome help from other programmers and designers. I'm basically drawing these as ideas to keep me occupied. 

Battle Critters is a homage to the genre that I hope will eventually stand on it's own to some degree. Sure, most people will say "Have you heard of Battle Critters? It's just like Pokemon but--" but hopefully the game will be good enough so people stay and play it. 

Like I said earlier, I'm looking for it to be an Indie MMORPG, and although Digimon has an MMORPG, I think my ideas for it are much better. No matter how cool the franchise is, its the gameplay that counts the most.

Thanks for stopping by, Saha! I really appreciate it. 

Posted

I'd recommend looking into GameDev.net's articles in Game Design. They have articles for pretty much every video game related profession, and MMORPGs is one of their topics. They're not easy to make though-- not by a longshot, so you'd better equip yourself well.

PrimaGaga likes this