Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fire Emblem, in General

136 posts in this topic

Posted

RD also made wind magic and bows useless because, due to plot, you never have to fight bird laguz or Pegasus knights.

Just for the record they only made bonus damage on bows useless, bows and archers in general were amazing in Radiant Dawn stats-wise. Marksman class gets a hidden +1 on the range of all their weapons (an iron bow would change from a 2 range to 2-3 range for example) meaning they can attack pretty much anything without fear of being countered. They also get that nice boost to critical hit chance, a good chance of capping Skill to let them fire off Deadeye a lot, and the super-useful Double Bow for endgame. Really, the Double Bow is the best weapon in the game barring Ragnell and Alondite, being able to do that much physical damage to anything in endgame without being countered is almost unfair to the computer.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Just for the record they only made bonus damage on bows useless, bows and archers in general were amazing in Radiant Dawn stats-wise. Marksman class gets a hidden +1 on the range of all their weapons (an iron bow would change from a 2 range to 2-3 range for example) meaning they can attack pretty much anything without fear of being countered. They also get that nice boost to critical hit chance, a good chance of capping Skill to let them fire off Deadeye a lot, and the super-useful Double Bow for endgame. Really, the Double Bow is the best weapon in the game barring Ragnell and Alondite, being able to do that much physical damage to anything in endgame without being countered is almost unfair to the computer.

Oh god, I agree whole heartedly. It's almost required that you bring Shinon with you (or whoever your pro marksman is, edward or rolf or what have you) to the end of the game just to make use of that thing.

Same really goes for Boyd and Urvan, because who else is going to be your axe dude? It's canonically gifted to Ike, but he's been swinging Ragnell around for so goddamn long, why the hell would he bother with Urvan? And would you really want to throw arms scrolls at him so he can use it to go toe to toe with the black knight or some shit? No, Urvan goes to Boyd. Or maybe Nolan. I understand that it's possible to actually raise your Daein characters to not be made of paper by endgame, though I've never actually been able to accomplish that myself.

Posted

There's actually a really interesting way to do that yeah:

-Bring Nailah the wolf queen to part 1 endgame along with every unit you want to hit third tier equipped with the weakest weapons possible (remember to bring the Black Knight as well for secret ending purposes).

-Have her use her special skill Glare on a priest that has a healing staff equipped. This petrifies them for the rest of the chapter, and there are two of them in the endgame with Physic staves.

-Units can hit the petrified priests to gain EXP, and any damage the enemy takes will be healed back thanks to the physic staff's equip ability (restores HP to the holder naturally each turn without using up duraility)

You can also do this on Part 1 chapter 8, and of course any boss can be abused thanks to their generally high defenses and the healing items they always have (part 1 chapter 7 is great for this, Tormod can become an archsage on this chapter alone apparently)

I actually got a full team of third tier Dawn Brigade units for chapter 3 Part 13 and completely routed Ike and all his buddies one time, it was the funnest thing I ever did in a Fire Emblem game :D

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Holy shit, you routed the greil mercenaries?! I honestly didn't think that could be done. I really want to go try this stuff now. If only I had a wii with me, uuuuuuuugh.

For those of you with a tumblr, I just thought I'd share this url: http://fire-emblem-strategy.tumblr.com/ , which is a blog all about fire emblem strategy. You can see lots of asks from me suggesting characters for the owner of the blog to analyze or parts of the games to hear his opinion on, since he clearly plays so much more FE than I do. Like the maps in the games.

I gotta say, I think Radiant Dawn has had by far my favorite maps of all the games. Lots of the handheld maps are really just the same settings with cut and paste map tiles and win conditions, but in Radiant Dawn, every map was an original. Not to mention, the win conditions and scenarios of every map could vary wildly. You could have a map where its just two or three of your units against ten others, or you could have a full scale battle of dozens of your guys vs. a hundred of theirs. I fondly remember the final map in part 2 of the game, defending Elincia's castle during the crimean civil war when Geoffrey and his bros heroically burst in to save your ass. Or like, every other level in that game. Radiant dawn had some weird quirks to it's story but it was a blast to play and I really want to play it again.

Also, did any of you guys ever hear the rumor that jill can actually defect from your army in the level where you fight her father? I've never seen it actually happen, and I thought it was just a rumor like being able to unlock sonic the hedgehog in melee, but here it is being done:

Weird! And apparently there's no story things bonus scenes or anything if she defects and you kill her, or even if she defects and you let her live.
Knuckle likes this

Posted

It was never a rumor. The game warns you about it pretty explicitly

Posted

Actually I kind of like going through FE games with just a small five person party. I did that on shadow dragon and I'd like to do it again with Awakening sometime. I'd definitely consider doing it with Radiant Dawn too, if it weren't for the fact that you're constantly swapping your party around and you can't get married to just a few units or anything. The only problem with doing that in awakening would be what to do about child units. Do I let them join me in my crusade or do I stick them in the convoy with everyone else?

Posted

What if we got another game that took place on the other side of the desert of death next to Daein? You know where Hatari is, where there are wolf laguz, beorc, and branded living together in peace

Posted

That would be cool. Or at least more story development for that part of Tellius.

Being as FEA set in stone that all the fire emblem games take place in the same universe, do the tellius games come first? I ask because the goddesses of that game mention they drowned all the other continents prior to the events of PoR, so it seems like they would come first and FEA miiiiiight be the latest? I say might be because I haven't played all of the fire emblem games, and it's entirely possible there's games that didn't have canonical references to them in FEA, so they might take place afterwards or something idk.

And if PoR really is the very first FE game, where's grima? I know that the whole story is about the goddesses and all that, but grima is nowhere to be found. Was he created later or somesuch? I know he's the primary antagonist of shadow dragon, but had he already been around for that game? I can't remember.

Posted

tumblr_ncto3k57m81r9vwk0o1_1280.jpg

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

New Fire Emblem game announced!

Looks a lot like the previous one for the 3DS, if maybe a little darker in theme. I know that when awakening was in production, there was a lot of risk that it might be the last fire emblem game in the series due to a lack of interest from nintendo or whatever, so they tried to pull out all the stops in making the series more accessible to players while simultaneously staying true to it's roots. Which is why they did things like turn the support system into a "pair your favorite characters together!" thing, and why they made all of the side characters much more light hearted and quirky, and why the combined all of the fire emblem lore into one game. Since that turned out to be wildly, wildly successful, it looks like that sort of thing will be the attitude of the next game, too. Not that I'm complaining.
T1g likes this

Posted

Well it was pretty obvious that was happening, wasn't it? Not really difficult to pick up on. I'm more interested in the monsters showing up. I was talking with another FE fan about sacred stones, and we agreed that, since all the FE games apparently take places in the same universe now, Sacred Stones probably comes chronologically after Awakening. I know I've mentioned that in this thread before, though. Basically I'm just thinking this might be the game that links sacred stones and other monster-having games to the rest of the series. Probably introduces Fomortiis or something.

I can't help but wonder what the series will do with itself after it's done linking all of the games together?

Posted

I've put, literally, 280 hours into Awakening and haven't finished it. I'm so into micromanaging and building every character to max stats that I can't even bother with the story...

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

I put the same amount of time into the game but I have an entire streetpass team of murderous limit breaked maxed out dark fliers designed to kill exactly one of your units

and almost all the support conversations