The Merry Marvel Marching Society

1978 posts in this topic

Posted

Whoa, I completely forgot about that episode of SHIELD. I guess that makes the Mar-Vell thing less jarring.

Also, that actor looks like such a nerd. I dig it.

Posted

People often say that hindsight is 20/20. Looking back at the early 2000's and the fervor caused by casting an unknown actor named Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. Now we couldn't even picture another actor in the role, however way back in 1997 when the first X-Men movie was in pre production another name was being considered for the role, Mel Gibson.

No you didn't read that wrong, back when Gibson was a hot Hollywood commodity and before his descent into "Passion of the Christ" fuelled Antisemitism he was being considered to play Logan.

mel-gibson-wolverine-concept-art.jpg

This is an actual piece of concept art of Gibson with the traditional Logan Sideburns and claws.

Posted

Today's obscure Avenger 

Lionheart

tumblr_m8vhwckOL41ruukiw.jpg

Kelsey Leigh was a single mother with two young children who lived in South-East England. She was a schoolteacher who taught English literature and history. Back when she was married, thugs invaded her home, robbing her family and gang-raping her. She fought back, hurting one of her rapists, and he cut her face with a broken bottle in revenge, scarring her permanently. Meanwhile, her husband, Richard, was too paralyzed with fear to help her. His guilt over that incident led to the dissolution of the marriage.

One fateful day, her family found themselves on the front line of a battle between the Avengers and the Wrecking CrewThunderball rendered Captain America unconscious and Kelsey selflessly put herself between the fallen Captain and the Wasp and their attacker, using the downed hero's shield. While the shield was indestructible, Kelsey wasn't, and the shock from the blows inflicted terrible injuries; she died en route to receiving medical attention.

Kelsey awoke to find herself in a ring of standing stones, where she was met by a vision of Brian Braddock (Captain Britain), currently ruling Otherworld, and his wife, the elemental shapeshifter Meggan. To save Britain from the evil Morgan le Fay, he passed the mantle of Captain Britain to Kelsey. Her heroic act of bravery had earned her a second chance to live and to defend her home. As was Braddock before her; Kelsey was given the choice between the Sword of Might and the Amulet of Right. However, unlike when Braddock made that choice, Kelsey was only presented with the choice between sword or amulet, and she was not informed of their symbolic importance. Kelsey, desperate to see her children again, and not seeing how a necklace could defend anything, chose the sword, the path of violence. Instantly, she was transformed into the new Captain Britain, only to discover that her decision meant that if she ever revealed who she was to her children, it would cost their lives.

Posted

I didn't know any of that. It was interesting. But damn, that's the most contrived and convoluted origin story ever. 

Like is she a super soldier, is she magic, or 

Posted

I didn't know any of that. It was interesting. But damn, that's the most contrived and convoluted origin story ever. 

Like is she a super soldier, is she magic, or 

Magic. 

In conjunction with Fascinating Fact I bring you, today in irony.

When he was a junior in High School Robert Downey Jr served a one day suspension from school after he stole a classmate's comic book and tore it up, that book was Invincible Iron Man #15

15-1.jpg

Well here we are, on the eve of Age of Ultron and the last (and my personal favorite) lesser know Avenger....

Sentry

Imagine yourself as an overweight, middle-aged alcoholic, well that is Robert Reynolds. Bob finds himself haunted by dreams, in these dreams he is Sentry, a powerful hero who teams up with some of the Earths greatest heroes regularly. As the dreams come more frequently Bob begins to suspect that they are not just dreams but hidden memories. After drinking a vial of liquid he finds in a hollowed out book he suddenly gains incredible powers. He visits Reed Richards who at first has no idea who Bob is but starts to remember. The world wakes up to the memory of Sentry returning. But unfortunately happiness is short lived, his arch enemy The Void returns too. It is then revealed that both Bob and Void are aspects of the same shattered psyche. Doctor Strange, in an effort to stop the void put a magical whammy on the planet and made everyone forget hopefully forever but it didn't work. The key to stopping Void lies with Bob. Summoning all his courage, Bob combats his evil personality and they are both seemingly killed. However it is revealed that Bob lives and just as before has no memory of being a Super Hero, but only time will tell which personality really survived.

Sentry.jpg

LLmao ?✊? likes this

Posted

That's a really cool backstory

Posted

Oh, my friend whos really into marvel and DC mentioned the sentry to him once. I mentioned to him in a conversation I liked the idea of a guy who had all of superman's powers but was really a really cowardly and weak willed person, and he was like "oh yeah they already have that look up the sentry." Apparently to go along with the whole "everyone had a memory loss thing," They actually introduced a "retro" line of marvel comics starring him as if they were comics starring a forgotten c-list hero from the early days of superhero comics that everyone would have forgotten about. Of course the comics "stopped" after a certain year, and marvel told everybody it was because they stopped being made, but in reality it was because that was the year everybody was forced to forget about him. Really interesting alternate reality stunt they pulled.

I may have those details wrong though, since I only remember this from a conversation I had over a year ago, haha.

Posted

That descripon is pretty similar to Doctor Manhattan as well

Posted

The one good thing about this place is that there's a movie theater close by. I will be seeing....

avengers-age-of-ultron-poster.jpg?w=650

Tomorrow!!!!!!

Knuckle likes this

Posted

What a great movie! There we so many great moments I can't even list them, but I could try. Spoilers ahead!

1. "Language!"

Cap scolding Tony on his use of the word Shit is right out of the comics.

2. The twins

The way they introduced Wanda and Pietro was very much win. Misguided people who end up doing the right thing.

3. Ulysses Klaw

The very subtle mention of Wakanda will play into the next phase

4.The Vision

Stark uploading JARVIS into the Techno-Organic body Ultron was crafting for himself was a very cool Coup

5. The New Avengers

Wanda, Vision, Falcon and War Machine

6. The Thanos mid credits scene

"I'll do it myself!

7. Thor getting a look

Thor seeing the stones and bits of Thanos' plan

8. Not a part of the film but the very nice people at Digiplex Bloomfield

One of the Employees actually carried my popcorn and soda for me so I could wheel myself to the wheelchair row.

Posted

I'm about to see it now. Really excited

Posted

I liked it a lot. However, I thought lots of the dialogue was too snippy, or like said to quickly. I feel like I missed jokes and quips and whatever. I didn't understand the Thor and the water part. I only vaguely understood why Vibranium was important. I thought that lots of Ultron's justification was weak. I don't get why Ultron wanted a new body? I mean he wanted the Mind Stone, but was that it? 

Otis McNutt likes this

Posted

I liked it a lot. However, I thought lots of the dialogue was too snippy, or like said to quickly. I feel like I missed jokes and quips and whatever. I didn't understand the Thor and the water part. I only vaguely understood why Vibranium was important. I thought that lots of Ultron's justification was weak. I don't get why Ultron wanted a new body? I mean he wanted the Mind Stone, but was that it? 

The "Waters of Sight" also known as "The Well of Wyrd" have appeared many times as a plot device in The Mighty Thor comics. When Thor needs insight he will bathe in the water for guidance.

Ultron wanted a body that was virtually indestructible that was why he sought out Ulysses Klaw (a Black Panther Villain) to get Vibranium. It was basically an "In" to set up Black Panther. I suspect that in the MCU version of Wakanda, King T'Chaka is dead and the throne has been usurped, possibly by M'Baku The Man Ape and T'Challa will try to reclaim it.

Posted

Another thing I liked about Age of Ultron was Stan Lee's cameo as a World War 2 veteran at Tony Stark's party. Stan Lee is a World War 2 vet.

Posted

I liked it when the Vision did the thing with the hammer.

I kind of thought the Vision looked corny when he wasn't doing cool stuff. Just standing around he looks goofy.