POKEMON X AND Y

1210 posts in this topic

Posted

The best move distributions go to protect and substitute. I think after that it's tackle and scratch then toxic?

Posted

@general My Absol experience in this game is horrible. When I stopped to grind on the route it appears in, I was grinding to raise the level of a ghost-type Pokemon, and every once in awhile I'd run into Absol. So I'd switch to another Pokemon, because it knows dark-type moves, but then Absol would use Pursuit, which doubles its power if you're switching out, and then it would OHKO my Pokemon, so I just ran so that I didn't have to give it the satisfaction. See, that on its own isn't the worst part about Absol in sixth gen, it's that despite its stupid lame design, it has this perpetual infuriating smirk on its face. I wish I had a picture on hand. It's seriously a little grin with this air of superiority. I've always interpreted its hair as also kind of an edgy hoodie. It's like the embodiment of every angstfolk's dreams.

@general, Knuckle The best move distributions are stuff like Hidden Power and Return, if we count TMs. All Pokemon that can learn TMs can learn those moves. Maybe Frustration as well. Toxic can seriously be learned by a lot of Pokemon though. When T1g and I played Pokemon Stadium together that quickly dawned on him, as I picked a whole team that knew Toxic but absolutely didn't look like it, amongst them Psyduck and Pidgey.

@Chimetals yeah about Eevee, which is kind of why I wanted them to give Eevee an upgrade Normal evolution. I really like Raichu's design, a lot, which is why I was saying they should have just broken off Raichu from the Pikachu family and made Dedenne Raichu's pre-evolution. I wouldn't even be mad.

@Cascade, I hear Delibird has a really bad base stat total, and really its only interesting move is Present, which actually has a chance of healing your opponent, so it's practically pointless to have it on a team.

I have a lot to say about Pokemon Y, so I'll save that for when I beat the game, but I will say that I started noticing that I was using a lot of early gen Pokemon, so I forced myself to use some of the ones from recent gens. Then I decided to have a Pokemon on my team if it was given by an NPC or event, so I'm forming a kind of "canon" team. I'm keeping my Braixen a Braixen. Funny story: kaffles independently decided that she wanted to keep her Braixen a Braixen because she thought all the third evolutions looked ugly and Braixen had her favorite design. Same as me. We absolutely didn't talk about it until after she had a level 80 Braixen. Despite how much I like it, it's definitely blatant furrybait, and it's just way too adorable in Pokemon Amie. Anyway, so I've got a Braixen (Mozilla, lol creative), Aurorus (Neopet), Venasaur (Fleshrender), Lucario (Cars), Lapras (Seafoam), and Doublade (Claymourne). Doublade is the only non-given Pokemon I have. I decided to just see how it was, because honestly I actually like the design, and I later learned its Defense and Attack were perfect for giving it False Swipe, so he's caught me a lot of Pokemon. I decided to try and get used to how much of a Neopet Amaura is, and it's kind of decent so far. Venasaur absolutely destroys things with Poison Powder + Venoshock. I like keeping Leech Seed and Petal Dance on it as well. I begrudgingly took up Lucario when it was offered to me, and its Power-Up Punch is pretty OP too, though doing Pokemon Amie with it is the most unsatisfying and somewhat annoying experience.

Nicknames I've given Pokemon:

Litleo (F) - Femane

Scatterbug - Donut

Bidoof - Doof

Skitty - Cat Fist

Furfrou - Pouffé

Snorlax - Deathmaw

Volbeat - August

Illumise - July (Fireflies, and the months they appear during)

Spritzee - Aeromatic (Scent Pokemon that flies)

Smeargle - Art Itself

Drifloon - Hindenberg

Pikachu (F) - Ampera (Amperage - ge; I think it's a pretty name for an Electric type)

Kangaskahn (Level 17) - Teen Mother

Hawlucha - Slam Jam

Solosis - Duracell (if only it were an electric type)

Wobuffet (F) - Willis

Chingling (F) - Belle

Exeggcute (F) - Omelette

Tauros (M) - Gamagoori (Pokedex - When it is about to tackle, it whips its body repeatedly with its three long tails)

Barbaracle - Cherno Alpha

Miltank - Ludacris

Bolded are ones I either particularly like or I think are pretty clever. But here's the one I might be most proud of:

Ducklett - The Quaaken

Teto likes this

Posted

Ducklett - The Quaaken

puppy you sahaqiel

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

aw darn I knew I was forgetting a few :(

Yeah we are defs counting TM's and now that I think about it Toxic might out-distribute tackle and scratch. Really gotta wonder there those pokemon are getting that toxic from/what the implications are here are they throwing their poop at other pokemon because if thats the case my toxic using blissey is gonna make me sad.

Posted

The best move distributions go to protect and

puppying puppy I hate that move don't tell me that

@Chimetals yeah about Eevee, which is kind of why I wanted them to give Eevee an upgrade Normal evolution. I really like Raichu's design, a lot, which is why I was saying they should have just broken off Raichu from the Pikachu family and made Dedenne Raichu's pre-evolution. I wouldn't even be mad.

While that would make perfect sense visually, I don't like the idea of pikachu being the end-all of that evolutionary chain. As a side note, knowing what I do about how stats work now, that raichu ep of pokemon makes comically little sense.

alternatively, they could have made eevee's stats comparable to its evolutions--like, when you evolve it, its stat total doesn't change (much?) but just moves around, like scyther-->scizor

Posted

that raichu ep of pokemon makes comically little sense.

In more ways than one.

3QwncKj.png

Checking against Pikachu's height, Lt. Surge is ~7.2 feet tall, and Brock, a near-adult, is about 4 feet tall. He also looks nothing like his official artwork. Also, if you can count being in contact with the ground as being grounded, then all non-flying Pokemon would be grounded and electricity wouldn't faze them.

Posted

His anime design isn't that far off really? Different skin tone and clothes, that's all.

Still ridiculous size inconsistencies though. The people behind him seem like they should be comparatively normal-sized people, but they're still freakishly tall compared to Ash and co.

Posted

He's American, though

lol his wrist is bigger than Misty's waist

Posted

I personally love the way foreigners depict american stereotypes. In the same vein as when you tell a canadian to go ride a moose or something.

Posted

Lt. Surge says American phrases like "goddamn" in the Anime and in the games, in the Japanese versions.

Posted

His anime design isn't that far off really? Different skin tone and clothes, that's all.

Still ridiculous size inconsistencies though. The people behind him seem like they should be comparatively normal-sized people, but they're still freakishly tall compared to Ash and co.

i mean, ash is/was supposed to be ten. idk on brock's age, but if he was somehow the same (and in that case, a round of "what the hell were you smoking?" to his father) then 4' isnt a weird height.

Posted

Brock is supposedly the same age as Jessie and James, who were 25 as of Pokemon 2000. And in any case, their heights aren't that different. So yeah, Lt. Surge's gym is populated by giants.

Posted

What

I thought Brock was about 15, Misty 12, and Ash 10

Jesse and James were supposed to be in their late teens

Posted

For some reason, I was looking up Jessie's age last week. She seems older. Maybe it's her hair style