Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My Summer Movie List

187 posts in this topic

Posted

Saw Guardian's of the Galaxy with Saha and Kaffles. It was great. Especially Rocket and Groot

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

I might wait to see that until it's out on DVD or something.

I saw Angel's Egg with Alex. We watched it together, it being our first viewing for both of us. It was an interesting movie, certainly, but it was pretty esoteric. After I saw it I had oh so many different theories on what the movie was supposed to be about, and after I read some reviews and synopses about it I was only able to conclude that if there was an actual message or idea the movie was trying to convey, it got muddled somewhere between what Oshii meant to say and what he said. I won't say I didn't like it, and it was definitely worth watching. But that for something that was even more open to interpretation than NGE, it certainly seemed to be contradicting itself a lot. Fighting, even.

Anyways, I'm watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly next. I'm sure Necro will be pleased to hear that.

Posted

Yeah, Angel's Egg was pretty banana, but in a good way. I don't even think it's close to Evangelion, really. Evangelion is at least trying to convey something. Angel's Egg is just an enigma. An enigma that thinks it's about Noah's Ark, but it doesn't actually know. None of that is bad though. A review on MAL (HEH) brought up the point that it's not trying to appeal to anyone. It's not trying to get you to like it. But it's just so mysterious while also being beautiful in its art and minimal in its dialogue that it's so interesting and likeable. It's not for everyone though, since it doesn't have ACTION, but it wasn't trying to be for everyone anyway...

Really liked some of the scenes though. A lot of camera angles/scenes are so bland in anime even though they can do anything, but maybe I'm just uneducated and not noticing many. HEH. Angel's Egg had a lot of good ones though, I feel:

http://imgur.com/a/lvEYB

My favorite is definitely the sunrise/sunset though.

Posted

Oh snap. Enjoy

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Yeah, Angel's Egg was pretty banana, but in a good way. I don't even think it's close to Evangelion, really. Evangelion is at least trying to convey something. Angel's Egg is just an enigma. An enigma that thinks it's about Noah's Ark, but it doesn't actually know. None of that is bad though.

Yeah, this is generally what I was getting at when I made the comparison. Here's a review from a blog on japanese cinema that talks about analyzing all the symbolism in Angel's Egg, which of course in the end concludes:

"While there may be a few more allegories to draw from the film, we have provided tentative interpretations of the main themes above. It is interesting to note that the deeper nature of the film has eluded the usual anime fan-base since its release. Due to the exceedingly esoteric nature of the spiritual allegories presented, having them explained by someone familiar with Christian theology still puts the viewer in a difficult position."

Which is, in my opinion, more of a bad thing than a good thing. By which I mean, I get the impression Oshii was trying to say something with this movie, but it's really really unclear just what exactly.

Posted

I might wait to see that until it's out on DVD or something.

You really shouldnt wait. Its such a good movie. Youre missing out if you dont see it on the big screen. (Though im sure it'll still be nice on a home tv)

Teto likes this

Posted

Just watched The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Definitely worth the three hours. It actually kind of bothered me just because halfway through the movie I recognized it as a movie I'd seen bits and pieces of as a kid, and I already knew how it was going to end because of that. But it was still none the less enjoyable. The Man with No Name reminded me of LL, also. And apparently this was the third in a trilogy of movies, and a fistful of dollars was the first in the trilogy, and its already on my list? So I guess I have to see those other two sometime.

Anyways, I need to figure out what movie to watch next. I think I already downloaded "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World," but I'd really like to see more kung fu movies like I've been meaning to see. "The Raid" is one such movie that was made by the same people who did Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, so I should really watch that soon. Also, I'd like to add whichever movie is responsible for this sequence:

Posted

Oh, glad you liked it. I think that might be the protector, but I'm not certain. The moviie that made Tony Jaa famous would be Ong Bak, which is pretty great. Some of the things in that movie are so crazy... Definitely worth checking out

Oh, did you have a favorite scene from Good the bad and the ugly?

Posted

oh man, i remember this scene. My friend showed it to me years ago. The fact that it was all one shot makes it super rad in my book. Not to mention, that's just a cool place to have a one vs many fight. He's trying to save an Elephant right? I haven't actually seen the movie so I dunno. But maybe that'll be a clue in helping you find out which movie it is.

Posted

Haha It's the protector, I already knew that when I posted it. I should have clarified that I meant "whatever movie out of all of the movies out that could make a sequence of this quality is worth my time, and that movie is the protector, so I will probably watch the protector." I have no idea what it's about though. It really could be about him trying to save an elephant for all I know.

I couldn't say what my favorite GBU scene was, there's too many to pick from. I definitely think the scene with Blondie and Tuco and the cannon right before they made it to the graveyard was pretty cheesey though. Like, oh, coincidentally in the direction that Tuco is running, there just happens to be a loaded cannon pointed direction at him so all blondie conveniently has to do is light the wick with his cigar like a boss and it will dramatically almost hit tuco! I could honestly buy that if it were that alone, but it cuts again right to blondie holding whatever that q-tip thing is they use for cannons, and another round firing. And at the very least wouldn't it take, like, a full minute's time to load and fire a cannon? That was just some looney toons shit.

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

From "The Protector" IMDb page: A young fighter named Kham must go to Australia to retrieve his stolen elephant. With the help of a Thai-born Australian detective, Kham must take on all comers, including a gang led by Iggy Azalea and her two deadly bodyguards.

So yeah i guess it is about an elephant. 

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

I really want to see Guardians of the Galaxy dammit

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

Do it. It's the best MCU movie that doesn't require you to be *into* the rest of the MCU to enjoy, and also tied with 2nd best MCU movie in general to date. Tied with "Avengers" (Maybe a tad bit better than Avengers actually. Just a tad) and surpassed only by "Captain America 2." At least in my opinion. You're new here so lemme let you in on a little secret. I'm a huge Marvel geek. Both the comics and the movies. So I kinda know my shit- not that anyone else's opinions are *lesser* or anything...

Posted

I thought that GotG was much better than the Avengers, tbh.

Posted

I dunno. Like I said GotG was the best movie in the series that didn't require one to be invested in the series as a whole to enjoy. But with that, Avengers was really awesome because it was a culmination of the entire Phase 1 story. I probably appreciate it more because I'm probably more invested in the series, as a fan of the comics. Also why Cap 2 is my favorite in the series. To be fair though, Cap 2 is the best sequel to any franchise I've ever seen, so it gets a ton of bonus points for that. 

GotG was a bit better than Avengers for me, but I think we are both looking for something different in the MCU.