Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where does God come from?

265 posts in this topic

Posted

What's so bad about Ivo?

Posted

Well that's okay then. So long as it is still questionable.

Posted

Sahaqiel, before you get offended, you should know that I was stating what I believe in, thus I am not making an argument. I wasn't aiming to offend, therefore there is no argument.

I feel like I'm repeating myself. Before you demand to win the debate that you must always win and get touchy, please respect that fact.

Posted

That's a very good question.

+1.

I feel like I should put this sahaqiel point I just earned in my signature, to replace the lionheart quote, because I'm trying to limit the quotes I put in my sig.

Posted

=(

pheonix wants to replace me.

Posted

Oh, the drama.

Posted

Ivo, I think this starts to answer the question in the religion thread as to why people don't consider LDS a Christian religion.

Sorry.

Saha, God is, and always will exist as part of the human psyche. Whether it be an innate feeling that we understand that there is a higher being, or it is a coping mechanism, is yet to be seen. The answer to why we cannot prove God exists could simply be that God is beyond the scope of our understanding. It is possible that the human mind cannot comprehend an immortal, all powerful being. It is also possible that there is no such thing.

As for everything having a selfish bit to it, yes, that is generally true. However, many people get a good feeling form doing good deeds, and this is simple motivation enough. I am generally one of these people, I like to do service, and so on, because it makes me feel good to make a difference in even one persons life. Sure, a lot of times it has benefitted me, but being "boots on the ground" out there, doing something, makes you feel good. God isn't necessary for service.

So like lionheart said, either God exists, and we can't prove it, or God doesn't, and we still can't prove it.

Posted

Ivo, I think this starts to answer the question in the religion thread as to why people don't consider LDS a Christian religion.

Sorry.

Perhaps there was a time when we were considered a Christain religion. Then I came along and everything went down hill....

Don't feel sorry. Everybody's entitled to their opinions.

Posted

Nope, it's not you, it's never been accepted by mainstream Christianity, nor do I believe it ever will be, it's too radically different.

Posted

I'm not debating. I just don't have a real stance on the matter.

Rather, I take both sides.

If someone mentioned a pro-Atheist that might have offended a Christian, I would argue against him or her.

Sadly, this hardly ever happens ever since YLA dropped the subject, so I appear insanely biased against religion.

Posted

eh, shit happens. The answer still remains, no one can explain where God comes from, at least most people's concept of God, becasue he is either a fairy tale, or beyond the scope of human understanding.

Posted

=(

pheonix wants to replace me.

Stfu Lionheart, or in a minute what was LL and Jarred will be Lionheart and pheeny.

Seriously, don't make fun of me for my internet aspergers.

I'M SO SUPER SERIOUS

IM TELLING YOU MAN IM SO SUPER SERIOUS

ITS ABOUT TO GO DOWN

Anyways, the way I see things, we should just go out and do good, and not really care if there's a god or not in the equation. If there is a god, hey, fantastic, he's probably a fan of yours, and wouldn't you like to see a smile on that little girl's face? If there isn't a god, we're all screwed anyway, but wouldn't you like to see a smile on that little girl's face? If there is a god but he hates everyone anyways for some reason, then we're all screwed anyway, but wouldn't you like to see a smile on that little girl's face? If there is a god but he's got all these crazy rituals like stick a banana in your car's exhaust pipe every other blue moon or burn in hell, then everyone but a handful of us are screwed, but wouldn't you like to see a smile on that little girl's face?

All this business of which religion is right or wrong, or is there a god or not, is just complicating things.

Posted

Every breath, every second is a gift from God. Cherish it. Love. Live. We're not here in this moment by accident. I refuse to believe we are anything less than miracles. I love all you guys, whether you believe in God or not.

Posted

God's activities before the moment of Creation are unknown.

Question. What was there before the Big Bang? What was the catalyst that caused the massive expansion? If you're into science, you should already know that you can't make something out of nothing. "Matter cannot be created nor destroyed". So following all of your beliefs, that the Big Bang caused matter to expand at an amazing rate, becoming the universe we now know, there was NOTHING. Then there was SOMETHING.

That can't be explained without some form of divine intervention.

EDIT: Finished reading the topic. I'm not forcing this on anyone, just so you know. Becoming a Christian has completely changed who I am, I like to think I'm a little less arrogant now.

Assuming you're going to go to Heaven because you're a good person doesn't mean you will. Eternal life involves accepted Jesus Christ as your savior and believing that he was truly the son of God. I had this same argument with Padraig.

Posted

Question. What was there before the Big Bang? What was the catalyst that caused the massive expansion? If you're into science, you should already know that you can't make something out of nothing. "Matter cannot be created nor destroyed". So following all of your beliefs, that the Big Bang caused matter to expand at an amazing rate, becoming the universe we now know, there was NOTHING. Then there was SOMETHING.
The Big Bang theory doesn't cover what occured beforehand, as the evidence required to formulate any relatively justified theory isnt avaliable. All conjecture surrounding the concept of 'before' the big bang - before may not even be relevant - are just that - conjecture. The Big Bang theory merely exists in it's state because the evidence we have, regarding the 'outward' movement of galaxies (among other evidence) - exists. Theorising where there is absolutely no evidence, is assertion. God is an assertion to fill that gap, but the more logical answer to give is this - I don't know what occured before the big bang, and until such evidence arises to allow conclusions, I won't assume anything. It's basic logic.

That can't be explained without some form of divine intervention.
Actually, assuming anything whatsoever isn't logical, and therefore, we must simply say "I don't know". To the uninitiated, knowing when you are ignorant on a subject is seen as self-defeatist; but it is absolutely important to accept when you don't know something, rather than rely on fantasies - like God, to fill a blank space.

Faith, by definition, contradicts the fundamental nature of logical thinking; using evidence to base our conclusions and subsequent beliefs. Needless to say I am an Atheist, although if God were foisted as a precursor to the Big Bang, a needed explination for God, equally, would simply make the problem larger. Divinity answers nothing. It's a human construct.