Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

^ it was a samsung sph-a920. none of that fancy stuff available. i was also 15, lesson learned. :P none the less, informative! :).

Posted

Find my iPhone is amazing. Use it.

If my phone is stolen, I would track it without the thief realizing it and ask my cop buddy to make a trip with me. Easy as that.

Posted

ahhh so hey my friend set me up with a dj gig on the 12th and he wants to know what i want to be called on the poster they'll be making

i still have no musician name, i am in such panique

my super supportive friends in IRC have been lovely and spent the better of a whole hour on this topic and suggested a ton of great, silly names, but i'm pretty sure this'll have to be up to me

Part of my problem is I guess I'm too afraid of being trapped into a name that I'll regret later. I want something that'll last. Something that's a right mix of cool, funny, ironic, iconic, perhaps with a certain connotation that I could apply new meaning to with what I make. I've used some names I thought of taking for tracks I've made, namely "Fresh Personality" (symbolic of gaining personal freedoms at the time) and "Sunlight Addiction" (my love of the sun and the opportunity of life). I thought about being Hip Cat Over The Moon, since that's my default for a ridiculous kind of cool name that nobody's taken, but it's a bit long, and I don't want to go with a cat theme (despite wearing a cat mask most places in the local music scene) because it's too thematically similar to deadmau5 and I don't want to be a poseur. I like Discophone because it sounds cool and it's kind of ironic but I've also got reservations about using a name that contains the name of a musical genre in it because most of the time I find it a bit cheesy, and I'm not a huge enough fan of disco (though I like what it's influenced and I own a number of disco records) to have it be something to identify myself with. At worst it also traps me in terms of the kind of music I might make. I thought of Burning Youth, but not in the conventional sense that I actually would find a bit cheesy, but in the sense that when I waste time I often tell myself I'm burning youth. As in I'm wasting it away. There's already a band named that in Africa and they're supposedly popular so nah. Other things I don't want in my name: DJ, Music, The, Band, references to pop culture, foreign trying-to-be-exotic words, and generally cliche stuff.

My default at  the moment if I can't think of something by Tuesday is going to be Delinquent (and if I must, Delinquent Music). There's a band out there named Delinquent, but they don't have much notoriety so I might have a chance at acquiring it. It's because I've always facetiously called myself a delinquent, and that whenever I talk about the electronic music I like, I call it delinquent music. I've always tried to kind of skirt the line between someone who is clearly unconventional and basks in delinquent culture and someone who is polite, thoughtful, and agreeable. I'm really embarrassed to talk about this stuff because if it's not inherently a silly name then it's like I'm being a tryhard, and maybe I am. But idk, I think this is really important even though I can change it later and I'm stressin' out. In regards to making music, coming up with a set of words that try to capture what I do and how I feel is probably one of the hardest things I've tried to deal with.

Posted

I just look up names on Last.fm, adding it to the url Last.fm/music/______

Thought Feedback isn't taken. Nor Dance Feedback. (Dog Feedback is also available)

I always like the idea of the name Happy Times, Heavy Times too, but that's a reference to Fritz the Cat. It's not too direct a reference like if you called yourself Orange is the New Game of Cards.

None of those are taken on Last.fm.

Feedback is just some idea I've snatched about the idea that I enjoy of like, self destructive self obsession. Like your mind needing food for thought, and without anything to feed on, it consumes itself. Like sound feedback as well, repeating something over and over until it's painfully overwhelming. But that might not be an idea that you dig. None of these that I've come up with sound light enough for dance music. They sound like some kind of post-genre. Something a bit too contemplative for dance music, which is in a lot of ways an escape from contemplation; throwing off the shackles of the mind to express the body. That's how I see it anyway, don't know about you.

Posted

Master Spin, lord of the Tables!

Knuckle likes this

Posted

Desert Island Dicks

Posted

alex and the dicklickers

Teto likes this

Posted

People know about the otomatone, but it surprises me that I hadn't watched the promotional videos made by the company until now. I'm not sure if this guy is the creator or just an incredible dude who they chose to represent their product.

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

20121_1574641386157291_13589186373121411

dis is the poster my friend made. There I am as Delinquent Music. It looks better than I thought in my head. I forgot he likes to use screenshots. The last one he did was a screenshot of Xenoblade, I think. But this'll be posted up in the bar on a few walls in the bar to advertise the sequence of DJs for Tokyo Tuesdays, which is when they play anime on their 5x5 wall of old CRT monitors and two projectors on different walls while the DJ plays music. Last time I went they played REDLINE and the silly new DBZ movie. My friend picked the selections, which is cool because I'm the one who showed him REDLINE. :3 But yeah said friend says that since we use the same software we could totally tag team if I say, vomit into my jogwheels in shame.

I acknowledge that this is practically nothing, but it's a start. Deciding on a name is important to me because having one makes me feel like I can push my image and notoriety further than just being that random DJ that makes cool music sometimes.

Posted

Posted

arigatou, arigatou

Posted

Hey guys, long time no time. Forgot my login info so i just made a new account. How have you guys been? --Skyler

Knuckle, Sahaqiel and Cascade like this

Posted

Dude, welcome the puppy back, how have YOU been? Since you left I totally recanted on everything I ever said about the X Men and read way balls deep into the franchise. During the period where both you and Tyrion were gone, that Marvel thread was a sad lonely place.

Posted

Sorry I haven't posted much, my internet only let me access certain sites, and Hnet was not one of them.

Posted

we all forgive you, sno and phanta (: