317 posts in this topic

Posted

Gender is Male or Female. There is no middle ground.

Posted

This sociological definition of gender seems to be arbitrarily designating certain characteristics as either male or female. In other words, it's blatant stereotyping. Just thought I'd point that out.

Posted

GMP are you incapable of reading topics

Sex = genitals, chromosomes w/e, Gender = part of your identity, personality, character w/e. Your gender is /flexible/, most people's gender however is in line with their sex.

ffs having to re-explain things.

Also yeah the need for humans to label everything is annoying as puppy lol :/

Posted

Gender = Sex. Personality is flexible, gender isn't. Now that I've cleared that you, lets get back onto the topic on how badly these parents have made the future of their children. I want you to picture a 40 year old guy with a goatee who is about 75 pounds overweight. now put him in a dress. Distrubing now isn't it? Pretend you are that person. Try to find a job among normal people. It isn't going to happen.

Posted

Uhhh, excuse me? Are you blind? How dare you tell /me/ that sex = gender. Have you been under a rock for the whole "wahh I want to be a girl" thing? You do know that I consider my gender to be female right? Because that's just a vital part of my identity, even if my sex is male. And /please/ don't tell me that you don't think my gender is female. Keep it to yourself please, I don't want to explode in rage like earlier in this thread. Just accept that.

So uhhhh, best not be saying that to me lollll :|

Posted

Gender = Sex. Personality is flexible, gender isn't. Now that I've cleared that you, lets get back onto the topic on how badly these parents have made the future of their children. I want you to picture a 40 year old guy with a goatee who is about 75 pounds overweight. now put him in a dress. Distrubing now isn't it? Pretend you are that person. Try to find a job among normal people. It isn't going to happen.

You're pretty wrong there, GMP. I took honors sociology, and they tell you explicitly that gender is not interchangeable with sex. It's one of those facts that they put in true or false portions of tests. In fact, it was one for ours.

"Gender and sex are interchangeable terms T/F" Quite literally what it said.

Sex is your physical state of male or female. Gender is the collective stereotypes sociologically associated with a sex. You can be a gender that doesn't match with your sex. That's what transgendered means.

In my world, there is no such thing as masculinity or femininity, and therefore, no one I see has a gender, including myself, so actually, I'm technically transgendered. I actually have gone far enough to tell pheo one day that I suddenly had an internal epiphany and questioned the use of male or female personal pronouns like "he" or "she" in every day language, because I didn't think they were necessary for identifying people. pheo disagreed, and I understand why. I know I live in a world where there are genders, so I still use the terms respectfully, and it makes it easier to identify an unknown as "that girl" or "that guy". Cascade's gender is female. Her sex is male. That's how it goes. Saying sex and gender are interchangeable is the same thing as saying sociology and biology are interchangeable, and those are two almost completely unrelated fields.

Your example is a physically unappealing male in a dress. I think that's called ad absurdum; trying to make the situation look more ridiculous than it is to gain support. Really, this is a biased and flawed argument; the person you described is not disturbing to everyone. I know transgendered people that have no physical difference with the typical appearance of a "female", and some are actually quite appealing, aesthetically. And who says there aren't really "feminine" men or really "masculine" women? Some of them might even be better off identifying with what society thinks they are. For instance, you're p. homophobic. Would you rather hire a really feminine man who looks like a woman or a woman who just looks like a woman, with no indication of what their sex really is past pulling down their pants? If they can at least fly under the radar without being pestered, more power to them.

Sahaqiel

Posted

ty ll :>

Posted

Sahaqiel(OhgawddidIspellthatright?) has zoomed up the respect-o-scale really quickly....

I had whole chart on this sent to me by my one friend... I should've bookmarked it...

Posted

You're pretty wrong there, GMP. I took honors sociology, and they tell you explicitly that gender is not interchangeable with sex. It's one of those facts that they put in true or false portions of tests. In fact, it was one for ours.

"Gender and sex are interchangeable terms T/F" Quite literally what it said.

Sex is your physical state of male or female. Gender is the collective stereotypes sociologically associated with a sex. You can be a gender that doesn't match with your sex. That's what transgendered means.

<snip>

In other words, that is the definition within the field of sociology. Dictionary.com does list this sociological definition as a possible definition of gender, but synonymy with sex is also a possible definition, and a more common one. In other words, "gender" is completely interchangeable with "sex" whenever you aren't in a sociology class.

Posted

That's like saying that music and musicals are interchangeable if you don't take band.

Posted

they arent?

Posted

... musicals and music are not interchangeable.

Posted

(that was the point, yuriko-chan)

Posted

There is a point in the evening when I loose sense of sarcasm... I have reached that point...