Discuss Anime and Mang

7276 posts in this topic

Posted

Teto help me and saha get pheo to give a shit about Tatami Galaxy. We showed him the first two episodes.

Posted

You went to the trouble of changing your avatar before asking me that, so I will.

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

I wasn't asking for a recommendation, i've seen both and read the manga. I was just trying to start a conversation on it. I like both, I think the manga/brotherhood has a tighter better constructed plot, but I like many of the first anime's character's better.

Posted

Does anyone here have a preference for full metal alchemist? As in brotherhood or original anime?

Brotherhood. Of course I watched the original first and I though Brotherhood was a continuation of it. At first I was disapointed to see that

they were reshowing everything that happened during the original anime.

Though after that it started getting a lot better.

Still though the original series still has a lot of unanswered questions... Like wtf happened at the end? It just... stopped and nothing made sense any more.

Posted

Yeah I watched the first two episodes of tatami galaxy and was like "this is interesting but holy shit does this fly by." Like wow, so much information that could have been used as some form of character development or somethings gets treated like it would have been filler and is just replaced with a summary of what happened. It's probably still really good but jesus christ everything just flies by and trying to keep up is just ridiculous. Maybe I'll watch it but I mean god damn, slow down so I can at least read the subtitles.

Posted

Yeah i tried Tatami Galaxy and thought the same thing. Interesting but puppy, it went by so quickly. And they talked so quickly too i had to pause to read some of the subtitles and that just pissed me off.

Posted

Just take your time if the subtitles go too fast, which they will, and make sure you just take it all in. Think it over and get a feel for everything, and don't be discouraged by the inconvenient subtitle speed. It gets easier episode by episode, as it gets more abridged as it goes on. So as it's still spoken quickly, not quite as much is said, giving you time to process what you just read before more gets fired at you. And honestly, sometimes the details of what he's saying in the voice over don't really matter, and if they do then they're pretty easy to pick up. Don't worry if you didn't get it all.

Every episode begins his decision made at the start of his university life chosen in order to achieve some "rose coloured campus life", and then quickly goes over the results of his wishes and that decision, leading to the present time, two or so years into college. It always comes to a head in that year, leaving the main character unsatisfied and wishing he'd chosen some other path. Cue rewind to the start, and a new path.

You might think that skipping stuff with montages and recaps is lazy or something, but what happened doesn't actually matter. It's about his decisions, and their results, and his struggle to achieve his ideal life. He goes over the important details of the result of the decision which lead him to where he is, you don't need to delve into the past so much to get the idea. There's plenty character development as you go on, and his lives reveal all the different sides to the people around him. From the first two episodes, you wont have met all the recurring characters, or you wont have realised they're recurring characters.

Everything comes together in the last two episodes, with a very satisfying ending. All the episodes together serve to construct a clear picture of the people in all his lives, and the world he exists in.

It gets easier to watch pretty soon in, and it all pays off in the end, is basically what you need to know to be reassured that it's worth it.

Not sure if you can relate so much with the main character, but I feel for him a lot. There are a lot of lessons to learn from the results of his actions, and the insight of his friends, and a lot to take away and consider. I got a lot out of the show. It'd seriously disappoint me if you missed out on such great brain food just because you couldn't be bothered to pause and read subtitles. If you're watching it VLC, it's as simple as tapping spacebar whenever you see a long line of text on-screen.

Have I said enough to show you that it's really worth it in the end. Please please please don't be a critic when watching it. I know it's hard to want to like something when t1g likes it, but you have to ignore that. You liked Sky Crawlers a lot, this is like it. Pay attention and you'll get a lot out of it. Seriously. Just. Don't be a critic, and don't think "this could be done better blah" and just watch it and take it all in without feeling the need to evaluate it, at least not until the end. You're criticising it after watching a fifth of the series, you should know better than that.

Have I said enough.

Mostly at pheo, but this goes to you too phanny.

I think my best point there was not to be put off because t1g likes it. I know he's not the kind of person who makes people want to make him happy, and by default most of us just want to disagree with him on the grounds that he is t1g, but sometimes you have to agree with him because he's right.

Posted

Still though the original series still has a lot of unanswered questions... Like wtf happened at the end? It just... stopped and nothing made sense any more.

the general consensus is that the ending went to germany.

literally.

@tatami galaxy

the fast text is basically just ep 1, everything after that is much more readable.

Posted

Hey man I was planning on watching the rest of it because I figured all the reasons you listed, which i for the most part already figured out, and those reasons were enough to get me interested, I'm just saying, my only thing against the show so far is, god damn, would you please slow down so I can sit and think about you, you ridiculous anime.

Also, I usually pause and rewind stuff when I'm watching it on a laptop, but I wasn't capable of doing that at the time because we were watching t1g's laptop hooked up to the tv with company all around us.

Also Saha if you haven't watched skycrawlers yet you need to watch it with me.

Posted

Once again, t1g has wasted my time by overblowing the situation and misrepresenting other people.

And by the way, your new avatar is still bad. How hard is it to have great taste like me. That goes for all of you.

And by 'once again' I mean it's the first time but I'm already tired of your bullshit.

And pheo, I feel for you. Watching things with other people is always awful.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

And pheo, I feel for you. Watching things with other people is always awful.

I disagree with this whole heartedly. Sure some stuff is better watched alone, but other things are made to be watched with friends. Sharing the experience can make a viewing of a show much more memorable than if you just sat in a room and watched it alone.

jintai would be so much funnier if you watched it with us

Posted

jintai would be so much funnier if you watched it with us

It really wouldn't be. I can imagine just being annoyed at you and Saha making observations, and just being like "ugh I don't even care what these guys think" and wonder why I'm even there, and then it would ruin the whole thing for me.

I don't even think I'd want to discuss it with you after. I mean what is there in Jintai to discuss?

"Haha I loved the bit with the chicken." "Yeah it was funny." Shit boring conversation. Nothing to be said. We both found something funny, so what?

Posted

I don’t think Humanity has Declined has a non-cynical bone in its body. As I said, while I don’t think this episode is directed towards BL fandom and more directed at subcultures in general, it’s definitely not a positive one. You don’t have lines about how homogeneous the art looks and generic the characters are when the main character flicked through the first book in a celebratory depiction. Neither do you have that puppying brilliant line about the fairies. “You are aware there’s a group out there that will jump on whatever the latest fad is?” – “I know, that’s what I’m counting on”. You know, those creatures that create products that resemble the real thing but are in fact homogeneous pap cobbled together using broken down rubbish yet you’re ignorant and so are not aware of what the real product is like so you scoff it all down anyway like it’s the greatest thing ever? That’s what fans of a subculture are.

…holy shit, I only just made that connection now.

…holy shit, this anime is the most cynical thing ever.

…holy shit this anime is awesome.

Posted

Are you really trying to convince me with just that?

That's a very clever observation there but it doesn't make up for how difficult it is to enjoy myself when talking to people online.

Posted

What about talking to people offline