Discuss Anime and Mang

7276 posts in this topic

Posted

I was just thinking about how fascinating it was that he hadn't! That's part of whats so interesting about berserk, is that it's all about Guts. By which I mean, it's about who guts is as a person, and how he reacts to and learns from his life. There's literally no world map for berserk, because it doesn't make any difference whatsoever on the story where anything is. We're learning about Guts. Guts doesn't give a shit about that. It's not until Volume 27 or 28 when anyone actually mentions how Midland got it's name, or for that matter, even names any countries that aren't Midland or Tudor! And I'm not even bothering to spoiler that fact for you, because it literally makes no difference what or where the countries are. That got established for us when we first saw Guts as a young man participating in a siege against the band of the hawk, and then later that day joining the band of the hawk. This is the life of a mercenary.

Berserk isn't such an engaging story because it's got bottomless lore and and infinitely huge, ever expanding setting. It's practically the opposite of the big world building books or games like 1984, or The Elder Scrolls universe, and so on. Those worlds couldn't care less what happens on a micro level. But Berserk is on the opposite end of that spectrum. It's about a guy with ever increasing problems to settle, and how he goes about that. And also about following your dreams. And so on.

THANK YOU FOR BEING SOMEONE I CAN TALK ABOUT BERSERK WITH I AM ACTIVELY APPRECIATING YOU

Posted (edited)

im guessing the ganbaranai is the same stem as ganbatte's ganbaru? like, "ganbaranai" as in "not going for it"/"dont try hard"? because suddenly im interested.

Yeah its about a hikikomori girl who likes computers (see why I like it?) who is being taken care of by her brother, who I can only really call briefcase-face. She sets up surveillance everywhere and follows his life throughout the day. I really like the animation; the backgrounds are all static and colored weird, it reminded me of Gankutsuou in a good way (without the textures). And I don't really know what to make of the last part, but yeah, its weird. You just have to watch it.

Edit: ITS BY SHAFT, I KNEW THERE WAS A REASON I LIKED IT.

It all makes so much sense now.

Edited by emsomniac (see edit history)

Posted

Thats a pretty good point. Lore and big bits of background are rare enough that when they show up they are incredibly fascinating, cause you don't get them often.Oh, and you don't have to worry about spoilers too much around me. My criteria for spoilers is basically character death, or alignment changes. Big stuff like that. If you're just saying facts Its no big deal. Unless its so unbelievably awesome, I just have to see it for myself. Also, how do you feel about how they do flashbacks? Some of Guts more gruesome bits of backstory, as well as Griffith's and Casca's, through that weird jumpy kinda style. Like its some kind fever dream

Posted

I watched Oofuri and Tatami Galaxy recently. Both were good and delivered what I expected :D

Berserk on the other hand... not my kind of thing.

Posted

Did you say you watched all of berserk or just a few episodes or what?

Posted

All of thee show, up to volume 25 of the manga and both the movies

Posted

I actually meant that directed at knuckle.

I think that, considering they pretty well need to cram as much as they can into a ninety minute movie, they're done pretty well. At least, I think Casca's flashback was a good way to cram the idea they needed into the right amount of time.

To be honest, with a series like berserk, I don't see why they don't just increase the length of the movies. If they went LOTR and did three three hours movies for nine hours of content, instead of four and a half hours, they could easily fit all of the content of the manga in that amount of time. The way they've been simultaneously trying to make Berserk more appealing to more people, and trying to sum everything up as quickly as they are, is just hurting everything. The movies have their moments, but aside from that just aren't handling that well so far.

Posted

These eyes scare me

duN5e.jpg

THIS IS NOT MOE

Posted

These eyes scare me

duN5e.jpg

THIS IS NOT MOE

Personally, I think at around that point they started laying it on a bit thick. But yeah, this was one of the few shows of the season that I was actually looking forward to watching for reasons other than which studio worked on it, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Posted

Yeah I have to agree, it was a bit derpy. If I wasn't already crying I would have started laughing.

Posted

I imagine it wouldn't be quite as narmy for people who've already read the manga, because they've had a chance to grow attached to the characters. Normally you wouldn't put a sequence like that at the beginning of a story.

Posted

Is that a screenshot from Girls und Panzer? I've actually been watching that show. I finished episode six a few hours ago (yes I'm paranoid I just spoiled a chunk of the show by clicking that)

Posted

These eyes scare me

duN5e.jpg

THIS IS NOT MOE

all i could think of is "what are you watching, higurashi?"

Posted

It's Kotoura-san.

I'm really hoping she cracks at some point in the show and goes full-on yandere. It would make the romcom stuff so much better, but I don't think thats what they were going for, just an overly melodramatic troubled past.

Posted

now that i think about it

I watched Oofuri and Tatami Galaxy recently. Both were good and delivered what I expected :D

i get the feeling you havent made it aaaaaall the way through oofuri yet, right? like, how could you without ranting to me at least once?

especially when

several of the characters die at the end and all that :,<