Discuss Anime and Mang

7276 posts in this topic

Posted

Makes sense. That was my initial impression of what was going on with the main villain, that he had some sort of personality disorder. And "Psycho-Pass" is a play on words for "Psychopath."

i feel like a complete moron for not catching onto this very fact. im just i dont even

i mean, i caught that that person was a psycopath, i just didnt

it didnt click

at all

i think i can cut t1g some slack for whiffing on

the father/son pair

after missing something so blindingly obvious

Posted

Debating whether I should watch Gosick or Smile Pretty Cure! first, since a new PreCure's coming out in February. Anyone seen Gosick? I'd like to get some opinions.

Posted

Still not entirely sure why I love the endings of some Trapeze episodes. Like even episode 8, with the reporter whose problem isn't really solved and he just makes peace and finds a way to deal with it, makes me happy. Embarrassed to admit that a lot of the episodes make me watery-eyed level of happy.

Posted

Debating whether I should watch Gosick or Smile Pretty Cure! first, since a new PreCure's coming out in February. Anyone seen Gosick? I'd like to get some opinions.

i watched Gosick. I really enjoyed for the most part, but I felt the ending was unsatisfying. But other than that, it's a good series.

Posted

Watching through Mushi-Shi on Netflix. It's a good one to just watch a couple episodes at a time.

Fiance got High School of the Dead on Bluray. Don't really understand his need to own it. Seems like a compulsion of his more than a practicality. We have plenty of shows on DVD-Bluray that he'll watch on Netflix because it's more convenient than putting in the disc.

Posted

I just found out yesterday that all of Mushi-shi is on Youtube as well, subbed and dubbed. FUNimation's Youtube site is top class. Too bad most of their huge range of shows are blocked in my country. I downloaded Mushi-shi anyway though because I wanted to give it a try and then Muffin talked about it here, which put it more to the front of my mind, and so too closer to the top of my priorities.

Also planning on watching the Kara no Kyoukai series of movies/OVAs. They're listed as movies, but none of them seem like movie length. They vary from 48 to 121 minutes in length. Seven of them altogether.

Posted (edited)

Has anyone else watched Gunbuster and Diebuster? I watched them both late last year. If you liked Neon Genesis Evangelion and Gurren Lagann then you really need to watch them. Seriously (Also it would just be nice to have someone to talk about these with)

Gunbuster is directed by Hideaki Anno of Evangelion fame and Diebuster is directed by Kazuya Tsurumaki of Fooly Cooly fame.They're both 6 episode OVA series, by Gainax, so theres fanservice of course, but I never found it too distracting. But seriously, they're both worth watching, but just don't watch the two out of order or all of the greatness will be lost. The final episode of Gunbuster is amazing for its time, if you find any of the first 5 episodes a chore to get through, atleast try to pull through until the 6th, though in my opinion it really picks up at ep 4. Also, the final episode of Diebuster is really awesome if you've watched Gunbuster and Gurren Lagann (even though it was made after this), I mean you just have to see it for yourself. Like I said, they're OVA series, so you can probably watch 1 or both in a day, so why not watch them.

I leave you with Gunbuster's OP song (just the song because Bandai has blocked literally every op video on youtube)

(Seriously, watch them. You'll enjoy them if you liked Gainax's other mecha animes, it's sad that some people who know about NGE and TTGL have no idea these exist)

Edited by Double45 (see edit history)
Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

I unfortunately have not seen those things Double >: Except Gurren Lagann.

So here anyway is my catchup schedule. And if I don't suck at maths, that should be 6 hours, 43 minutes, and 3 seconds.

LQhOqTn.png

Posted

Has anyone else watched Gunbuster and Diebuster? I watched them both late last year. If you liked Neon Genesis Evangelion and Gurren Lagann then you really need to watch them. Seriously (Also it would just be nice to have someone to talk about these with)

Gunbuster is directed by Hideaki Anno of Evangelion fame and Diebuster is directed by Kazuya Tsurumaki of Fooly Cooly fame.They're both 6 episode OVA series, by Gainax, so theres fanservice of course, but I never found it too distracting. But seriously, they're both worth watching, but just don't watch the two out of order or all of the greatness will be lost. The final episode of Gunbuster is amazing for its time, if you find any of the first 5 episodes a chore to get through, atleast try to pull through until the 6th, though in my opinion it really picks up at ep 4. Also, the final episode of Diebuster is really awesome if you've watched Gunbuster and Gurren Lagann (even though it was made after this), I mean you just have to see it for yourself. Like I said, they're OVA series, so you can probably watch 1 or both in a day, so why not watch them.

I leave you with Gunbuster's OP song (just the song because Bandai has blocked literally every op video on youtube)

(Seriously, watch them. You'll enjoy them if you liked Gainax's other mecha animes, it's sad that some people who know about NGE and TTGL have no idea these exist)

Someone else who's seen Mecha anime beside TTGL? Do mine eyes deceive me? Only seen Gunbuster. Pretty excite for Discotek officially releasing Diebuster though. They've really turned into a badass company.

Posted

Ok, this week I watched Steins;Gate. Probably one of the greatest animes I've ever seen. The characters were all really interesting and the story was never boring. I don't think theres a single bad thing I could say about it.

Also, I've started watching Robotics;Notes and caught up to the latest episode, the next one comes out tomorrow.

And I made one of these http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Double45

I was really indecisive about my ratings but I think most are spot-on.

emsomniac likes this

Posted

Episode 16 of Robotics;Notes is pretty much Steins;Gate episode 12 all over again.

Except I don't reckon it'll be the same scale of dramatic turn as Steins;Gate. I half expect episode 17 to just be Kai going to the funeral and being all "this is weird" and standing around a lot.

Also Double I sent you a friend request.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Sideli

Posted

so ive been watching slayers with earthy recently, dubbed. just polished off season 1, and i gotta say, one of gourrys screams--no, two of gourrys screams, really impressed me. id say more of his screams impressed me, but he only screamed twice. just wanted to bring up that while im generally a skeptic of dubs and their vocal quality, im not some sort of hyper-biased puritan over here. i mean, saiyuki was good dubbed. oofuri is solid as well. black lagoon is a good example too.

i just have a requirement of shows to be able to actually reach me. im not talking "corny lines arent corny in japanese" or anything, its mostly the voice actors being in-character, and not falling flat all over the place.

i mentioned saiyuki and slayers--take anyone but the main characters of those two, and the voices are flat as the 90s backgrounds. if it were anyone i was supposed to care about, id be ticked, but as they are, its got its own sort of charm--theyre 90s anime, for crying out loud, and not particularly intense as far as plot goes, so being able to laugh when a very non-scared-sounding village chief comes up to the protagonists and delivers the line "our town is under attack by demons, help us." in something near a monotone, is something id consider to be a plus.

moreover, in slayers, ive got half the cast of pokemon to listen to. (hell, ive been learning that half the cast of pokemon voiced two major characters.) and if its not that, its some yugioh characters voice popping up, and sometimes (take a good look at gourry there) its both. some people would take this as a pro, some as a con, but im somewhat in between, stuck in nostalgia land. though every now and then i stop hearing gourry and i start hearing brock :/

im rambling, but the general point is just that im not against dubs--just picky against the ones that just sound flat, dead, "this is my job", or otherwise have no ability to draw me in and make me feel...anything, really. make me laugh, bring me to tears, make me feel for the characters anguish, pain, the loss of their toy dog, whatever. im not automatically emotionally involved because the cast is japanese, they gotta work for it too, but its a major sticking point to me as far as how ill watch a show, or in which language, etc.

Posted

devil survivor 2s cast list has been released

looking up actors old roles, i think theyve nailed everyone (that i care about, at least). still not sure on keita getting played by a girl, gonna have to see her in action to make a judgement call on that.

Posted

so i want people to go watch the first two episodes of the black lagoon dub so i can talk to someone about how puppying awesome the first two episodes of the black lagoon dub are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnlUGasR3qs

Posted

hey t1g

remember when I said I was gonna finish penguindrum

I'm doing that now