Discuss Anime and Mang

7276 posts in this topic

Posted

oh gawd. no warning. theyre not gonna give them a warning.

they truely love the show, and appreciate its quality.

or they havent watched enough of it ;3

been reading great teacher onizuka lately. its, well. its rather special, in its own way. if you wanna take it at the surface, its a punk that managed to get himself and his uneducated ass hired at a prestigious high school. if you wanna take it to another level, its a commentary on the idea of japans education system vs the reality, how its changed for the worse, and so forth. basically, onizuka is a guy that really cares about his students, while the majority of his coworkers care more about their jobs, public face, and onizuka not being a "proper" teacher more than the worth of human lives and the like. (seriously, the number of kids that onizuka has saved from jumping off a building is rather freaky for one class.)

highlights (somewhat late series)

GTO_v17pg084.jpg?v=11192605604GTO_v17pg085.jpg?v=11192605604

and then, in the same chapter:

GTO_v17pg088.jpg?v=11192605604

GTO_Vol12_ch093_020.jpg?v=11192605601GTO_Vol11_ch090_078_079.jpg?v=1119260440

sometimes the scan quality nosedives, like colored bubbles done really shittily over the japanese font, or having two pages in one img so that the font is microscopic, but hey, free scanlations--whatre you gonna do.

less late things:

GTO_Vol07_046a.jpg?v=11192604402

GTO_v14c107_pg001.jpg?v=11192605602

gto_v15c122_pg143.jpg?v=11192605603

and thats leaving out the really really badass stuff thats much better if you just read it.

Posted

Yeah apparently ABC aired the first episode, and then watched the rest and said "HOLY SHIT WE CANNOT AIR THIS FOR CHILDREN." Hence the "This show is not currently being broadcast" bit.

Posted

I should probs go and watch all of Great Teacher Onizuka. I watched the first two episodes in anime club and it seemed really cool. Teacher kicking people's asses/almost drowning them and taking a sledge hammer to a wall in one of the girl's houses to sort out problems in the class. And the fact it's up there at #20 on MAL's Top Anime list: http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

BUT I have Paranoia Agent on the go now, and I kind of want to watch either Daily Lives of High School Boys or Kaiji after that. And catching up on weeklies. One Piece is on break for the time being now that I've watched the second saga.

Posted

oh gawd, i can only imagine the kind of destruction/chaos/perversions/badassery that an anime could contain. but once again, i read faster than i watch :/

Posted

Paranoia Agent episode 8 comments

So heck, I didn't see that coming even though I should have. I didn't even notice that when he looked down at her shadow in the parking lot she didn't have a shadow. It only dawned on me when the three of them photobomb some people and they're unfazed by main characters. Since up to that point they'd only interacted with each other.

The start of the episode had a good allusion to what the story would end up being, since the old guy crossing the Zebra crossing (a character's name being Zebra in this) looks like someone passing a fence, and casting no shadow.

It's difficult to give some concrete evidence but they do have shadows for the first while after the initial meetup, which is difficult to get because they spend a lot of time in shady places, obviously casting no shadow. But from the night in the abandoned building onwards, they don't have their shadows, and they set out from their initial suicide plan on a quest for the best way to die. 

So the conclusion I'd come to was that the older guys successfully killed themselves in that abandoned building (the old guy had even popped his last pill after he and Zebra ran from the girl, and then it came up again later at the end when it all started coming together), and the girl, having lost track of them, though apparently stalking them from afar, who somehow managed to get into the building, killed herself to meet them in spirit.

And after the abandoned building you can tell by their interaction with others that they're definitely dead by that point, since they're just lying around (in the shade) next to the construction folk.

http://imgur.com/a/fRVzd

So yup I just wanted to put that episode together a little, that was a nice one to figure out.

Oh and for some reason I didn't obsess much over the part where the guy who killed himself by jumping in front of a train climbed up onto the platform, bloody and broken and walked off like "that hurt" while everyone's still looking down at the body. Just didn't occur to me that that was something worth noting while I watched it.

Posted

Reading an Abnormal Psychology textbook I took out the library, and this part from the little section defining Personal Distress seemed relevant to Psycho-Pass

"For example, an individual with antisocial personality disorder may treat others coldheartedly and violate the law without experiencing any guilt, remorse, anxiety, or other type of distress."

Posted

Makes sense. That was my initial impression of what was going on with the main villain, that he had some sort of personality disorder. And "Psycho-Pass" is a play on words for "Psychopath."

Posted

I have reached 200 things watched

Posted

nerd

Posted

Makes sense. That was my initial impression of what was going on with the main villain, that he had some sort of personality disorder. And "Psycho-Pass" is a play on words for "Psychopath."

Well, rather than play on words, they're just pronounced exactly the same in Japanese. Saikopasu.

And hey, cool. My viewing habits just stopped in their tracks. I've let you catch up with me...

Posted

i shall overthrow you and become the new sahaqiel

Posted

I'd rather not

Posted

In the Age of Ancients,
The world was unformed, shrouded by fog
A land of grey crags, archtrees, and everlasting dragons

But then there was Fire
And with Fire came Disparity. Heat and cold, life and death, and of course.. Light and Dark.

Then, from the Dark, They came
And found the Souls of Lords within the flame.

Nito, the first of the dead
The Witch of Izalith, and her daughters of chaos
Gwyn, the Lord of Sunlight, and his faithful knights
And the furtive pygmy, so easily forgotten

With the Strength of Lords, they challenged the dragons.

Gwyn's mighty bolts peeled apart their stone scales
The witches weaved great firestorms
Nito unleashed a miasma of death and disease

And Seath the Scaleless betrayed his own, and the dragons were no more
Thus began the Age of Fire

But soon, the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain

Even now, there are only embers, and man sees not light, but only endless nights
And amongst the living are seen, carriers of the accursed Darksign.

The joke is that T1g is going to overthrow Sahaqiel, the lord of fire, and begin the age of Dark
T1g and Treemotan like this

Posted

This is the price of anime