Discuss Anime and Mang

7276 posts in this topic

Posted

who is luke skywalker

Posted

Stinking walking undead CGI sharks! Oh my!

I want to see this. And not totally for ironic reasons like when I usually proclaim I want to watch things. Though there are definitely some of those in there somewhere.

Posted

Also, probably my favourite part of The Sky Crawlers, for the fact that I've not heard this idea before. Usually the war subject is handled differently in every other thing I've seen. Not sure how much I agree with, but it's still refreshing.

Posted

Link to the upcoming Madoka dub stream. Thought I'd post it here for good measure.

Posted

Accidentally had my DVDs delivered home rather than to my uni address. Will have to wait a little longer for my precious animes >:

Posted

Just finished Brave Story oh my gosh. Good movie. Very good movie. It was all fantasy and adventuring which is great. Also very good looking too, if you can ignore the occasional conspicuous CG. Some sadness, some happiness, as you'd hope or expect.

Time to go on a screencap binge to document as much eye candy as I can.

Downloaded the OST while watching. Paused the movie to do so as soon as this music started playing:

Posted

I have no idea where I left off in talking about my anime. I remember I was going to start Clannad I think.

I finished Clannad. It was good, but it got too romancy.

I also finished Rosario Vampire and Rosario Vampire capu 2. They were pretty good. I heard there will be a new season, but I think it's only a rumor. I hope so though. It has a good story.

Recently though I started Soul Eater. I'm on episode 23 so far, but it's really good. It has the action that I want and it has a good story.

Posted

Recently though I started Soul Eater. I'm on episode 23 so far, but it's really good. It has the action that I want and it has a good story.

beautiful animation, OP, so many things. just...when you hit the last episode, you have a choice: 1) dont watch and 2) watch, but keep in mind that it is not cannon. if you can still be ok with the FMA manga after watching the first anime, then you can take option 2.

or watch /most/ of the last episode. that is also an option. maybe stream it with someone that knows when you should stop watching, idk.

Posted

I'm sure I can watch a non cannon episode. Like I watched the non cannon episode of Clannad. Plus I watched FMA Brotherhood right after the first FMA series.

Posted

chimetals if you were going to use noncanon as a reason for him not watching parts of soul eater he should have stopped by now

soul eater ended terribly we all know it. nothing anyone says can change that fact

Posted

i was trying to be more tactful than "it was dead awful, and most of the people i know that have seen it have had the entire series ruined by that ending alone".

Posted

well he should know what the problem is ahead of time. Just because something is different from its other adaptations doesnt mean its bad. it is just a completely different medium from the other adaptations and should be treated as such.

Posted

imo, nichijou is under the category of cute girls doing cute things, highschool boys is more like derpy guys doing derpy things. i dont "dawww" whan i watch it, i just laugh.

and yes always.

i havent been impressed with any cutegirls/cutethings series after azumanga daioh. like, it was one of the early ones, and the first i saw, and then suddenly the world got flooded with all the other cutegirls/things series

It's a comedy slice of life anime, not a moe (cute girls doing cute things, essentially) anime. The moe movement didn't quite start up until Lucky Star and K-ON!. You were supposed to laugh, because that's what slice-of-life anime are mostly for. They take ordinary situations and make us realize how ridiculous we live, or make us relate to characters because we probably know someone like that too. Moe takes the concept of being attached to characters as the main point. And therefore is the most cold, calculated, evil genre. It feeds money from the teat of our emotional attachments and primal urges, like of those to protect a child.

Nichijou is not cute girls doing cute things. It's a slice of life anime that takes the concept into extremes. Some of the Nano/Professor bits were moe fanservice, but overall the series was a slice-of-life comedy taken purely in concept, only with the ridiculous setting to 11.

Like, what's cute-girls-doing-cute-things about the infamous deer wrestling scene, or Mai instigating hardcore? It's just regular life, only so much more intense.

It wasn't as successful in Japan because they expected it to be cute girls doing cute things. Kyoto Animation is known for its flagship moe series, Lucky Star and K-ON!, so they really sold Nichijou through adverts plastered everywhere, and they expected it to sell well. The DVDs were like 80 dollars for every three episodes. (With 26 episodes. Ouch.) Turns out that the moe fans thought it'd be moe for the cute style, and the non-moe fans thought it would be moe, so it kind of reached a neutral "I don't want to buy this, really..." kind of thing. Some moe fans I've seen had the nerve to call it boring in comparison to Lucky Star and K-ON!. Like, what? So really the people that bought it tended to be people who just don't care about moe or nonmoe. And I guess that killed the sales, because moe is kind of polarizing.

That's my two cents.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Multiple scenes from highschool boys

boring and stoneface

Multiple scenes from Nichijou

Stomache churning chuckles

Posted

lies, all of them