What games are you playing currently?

1908 posts in this topic

Posted

I got the Metroid Prime trilogy not long ago. Only played the first so far but it was p. cool, even if not totally up my alley. Despite a couple minor complaints, I loved the motion controls and will definitely use them for 2 and 3, and having never had a Gamecube, I never grew to like how it's controller felt in the first place. So I guess that's a personal preference.

Yeah I didn't have a Gamecube growing up either, but I've grown comfortable and preferred them when I've played GCN games on the Wii. It just feels really awkward for Metroid Prime but I'm sure I'll get used to it the more I play it.

Posted

I play on the exodus server. How about you?

Leviathan. I suppose we could PvP lol.

Posted

It's just the kind of thing that happens when you port a game. It's originally designed to be played with one controller scheme, so switching to another without changing the gameplay itself will produce some hiccups. I'm saying this without looking up things like the reviews for the pikmin games that were remade for the wii nunchuck controls, but I'm certain they have the same comments. Even the best ports will still feel a bit strange compared to the original control scheme.

Of course this is to say nothing of games that are developed to be played with multiple different controls while they work. I'm talking about monster hunter tri and it's multiple control settings, including the nunchuck controls which A CERTAIN FIERCE MUFFIN CAN'T SEEM TO ACCEPT THAT THEY ACTUALLY WORK JUST FINE AND THERE'S LITERALLY NOTHING WRONG WITH USING A NUNCHUCK TO PLAY MONSTER HUNTER TRI AND IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK THEN SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG WITH YOU.

Posted

Leviathan. I suppose we could PvP lol.

I'm really awful at pvp. Also I'm still low level so even if we did fight it wouldn't be a challenge for you. :-(

But maybe some day I can team up with my friends and fight you and your friends!

Posted

I actually like the Wii controls for Metroid Prime better, with one caveat:

I wish there was a way to flip the screen and use my left hand. While I'm well aware I could just use my left hand without flipping the screen, something doesn't line up right with my experience. Call me OCD or something, but I can't enjoy the game that way. I had the same problem with Skyward Sword. So, I have to use my right hand to get any kind of parity with what I'm seeing onscreen. And it gets really tiring to use my non-dominant hand, not to mention I'm less accurate when pointing with it. 

They don't even have to pull a Twilight Princess...I'm sure it wouldn't be that complicated to just switch Samus' arm to the other side of the screen and change a few pointer values. 

But I digress. I can't really expect a company to cater to a minority, though I do wish they would throw me a bone from time to time. Link is my only left-handed hero. Sometimes. And there aren't too many other lefties to list.

Posted

I actually like the Wii controls for Metroid Prime better, with one caveat:

I wish there was a way to flip the screen and use my left hand. While I'm well aware I could just use my left hand without flipping the screen, something doesn't line up right with my experience. Call me OCD or something, but I can't enjoy the game that way. I had the same problem with Skyward Sword. So, I have to use my right hand to get any kind of parity with what I'm seeing onscreen. And it gets really tiring to use my non-dominant hand, not to mention I'm less accurate when pointing with it. 

They don't even have to pull a Twilight Princess...I'm sure it wouldn't be that complicated to just switch Samus' arm to the other side of the screen and change a few pointer values. 

But I digress. I can't really expect a company to cater to a minority, though I do wish they would throw me a bone from time to time. Link is my only left-handed hero. Sometimes. And there aren't too many other lefties to list.

arent most Nintendo core characters Left handed? I thought at least Mario was too since Miyamoto is a lefty. 

Posted

I played so much Prime yesterday, y'all. Like eight hours. I'm only a little ashamed. 

I definitely got used to the controls, though as I'm getting more upgrades and snazzy things, I'm still getting confused as to which trigger to hold down/which button to push to switch out visors/beams and all that stuff. Probably just more practice, and I was probably just getting tired from playing so long (I seriously don't think I left the couch to do anything but pee) but it's getting better. I also feel like the overworld is HUGE and the general little guide from one place to another makes the game seem endless. I have no idea how close I am to the end lol. It's a neat feeling. And then I think about the fact that I also have Echos and Corruption to play, and lol. So much Metroid.

PrimaGaga and Agent Zako like this

Posted

Endless maps and forever terrain is exactly how I feel about ff14. I'm really excited to get my mount. Hopefully this weekend!!

Posted

arent most Nintendo core characters Left handed? I thought at least Mario was too since Miyamoto is a lefty. 

Some of them are ambidextrous, but the only truly left-handed Nintendo character is Link. Mario is ambi, Chrom is a righty, Ike is a righty, Samus is a righty, Fox is a righty, etc.

There are some other notable lefties in gaming, but none that I've resonated as much with as Link. Akihiko in Persona 3 is a cool lefty. Yuri from Tales is left-handed. Sheva from Resident Evil 5 is also a lefty, though I think this has more to do with Co op than anything. Same with Dom in Gears. 

Final Fantasy has lefty villains/anti-heroes. Sephiroth, Kain, and Leon are notable ones.

I don't know. I'm sure I've thought about this a lot more than others, because I enjoy being left-handed and would like more lefty-designed things in the world. 

Posted

Isn't Samus a Lefty though? The arm cannon is on her right hand so she does all the fine fingerwork with her left.

Posted

If I were in shooting situations as much as Samus is, I'd want my cannon to be on my dominant hand.

Posted

Are dominant hands better at aiming? I guess they would be but I don't know for certain.

Posted

Started Metroid Prime 2. I haven't played more than 20 or 30 minutes but I'm digging it so far. I like how the wii-mote control scheme defaulted to the fire button being the trigger, or maybe the trilogy has a feature that carries over my preferences between games. Also I dig the greater emphasis on classic sci-fi style horror so far and the obvious influence of Half-Life, which are some of my favorite games.

Posted

You know we've reached true equality when left handed is an option when making an mmo character.

Chase likes this

Posted

The next Mass Effect game gives you the option of flipping over the box art, revealing a left-handed Shepard on the other side.