Post pictures of the life that surrounds you

298 posts in this topic

Posted

I wasn't sure what film noir even suggested, but I thought it sounded cool. Then it came back while reading Blacksad's monologues, and flashes of action as he skulks around like "better check it out" before flashing to an establishing shot of a boxer, to a quick concise interaction with him and then onto another monologue to shift the scene as Blacksad quickly takes us through his thought process and into his next move. I could just imagine jazz blues playing softly in the background as those monologues were read out.

Can't help but feel it's a tad sexist (but then again it might just be the theme) that all the 'beautiful' women are more closely likened to human women, as if it'd be too difficult for us as MEN to sympathise with attraction to more animal-like women. So they sex them up so the reader can relate, thus establishing their overall role in the story. Might just be the theme, and I might be overthinking it, but I just took note of that in the back of my mind.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

When you say "beautiful" women are more "human" women, are you referring to women being anthropomorphized when they're meant to be attractive? As opposed to say, a woman who the setting dictates is supposed to be attractive, and who all the characters treat as attractive, but is like a lizard or something? Or a straight up snake?

Posted

It's like this:

tumblr_lk8z03RvbU1qziacgo1_500.jpg

I mean like, if the decision to anthropomorphise a character was entirely unbiased, then all the women would just be full animals too.

Additionally here's a strong and serious schoolteacher from the Arctic Nation story.

grey.png

So it's not like women in this universe are simply more humanlike than the men. It's just the ones considered in-world as beautiful that resemble humans, to make their beauty more distinctive and relateable. It's not sexist really, because the women themselves aren't simply objects with no other function to the plot, but it just interests me a bit that they decided to make the distinction. That if a character is not meant to be recognised as beautiful by the reader, then they don't make them look as human as the beautiful women. But it's a fact that people can't really make much of a distinction between animals' faces, so for the reader to even recognise beauty, it'd have to be made to look more human, and something we can relate to. It's done to sympathise, while all men are simply "plain" animals, without there being any whose features are likened to human men for effect. It's just something to chew on really; not going to say whether it's good or bad though. But it's clear that that particular detail is done for either the benefit of men, or just benefit of the reader, as this is from Blacksad's point of view, and we're meant to see it as he does.

Posted

As much as I LOVE One Piece, Eiichiro Oda tends to do this with his females too. Although, a few of his "ugly" females do tend to be really cool in the end.

Im sure you've noticed this too, Teto. Not sure how far you are into the series though.

Posted

I'm around episode 530, in the Fishman Island arc. I've noticed it too, yeah.

Like a bit of comic relief with a giant princess and Luffy is all "where am I??? it's so dark!" while jumping on her breast.

Posted

Wow you are almost caught up, Teto. Good job!

Posted

Wiping your history and escaping the fate?

Posted

No, i just have no more use for facebook. 

Posted

I had no idea what this game was or if it was any good, but £2.50 is a decent enough price for any game, good or bad. Adventure lies in the exploration and experience of the unknown. Not a steep price.

Benelo2CIAASNBF.jpg

And on the plus side, it's actually pretty good too! Combat can be a bit tricky and repetitive, but once you get the hang of dodging and timing attacks you can get by people well enough. Combat is basically around combos, and some powerups you get which I haven't had much experience of yet. You perform preset combos, but you decide the effect of each button, ie. health replenishing moves, attacks, and moves to recharge powerups. You mix and match your 3-move combo or your 5-move combo. It's kind of neat, though I'm not sure the combo customization will get much more interesting than that.

The game world is basically a future where memories can be shared, implanted, and erased. You see a lot of people who squander all their money downloading other peoples' good memories, and end up like drug addicts. The main character can alter peoples' memories, and I've had one experience of such a thing where it's basically a puzzle where you get given someone's memory and you have to alter the events in it to get a desired outcome, i.e. by moving tables, flipping switches, and basically just altering little details of their memory that make them believe that something else happened. It's pretty fun, and even if a series of alterations doesn't lead to the desired outcome, something else happens and you see the result of that. I hope there are plenty more of these puzzles.

So yeah, worth £2.50 at least.

pheonix561 and Sahaqiel like this

Posted

That actually sounds really awesome and interesting, and in context, the title of the game sounds absolutely magical; like, spine-tingling, even. I wonder how a supposedly decent Capcom game managed to fly under the radar and end up on the 2.50 shelf.

Posted

I watched an LP of Remember Me. It was freaking great.

Posted

I'm not sure it 'flew under the radar'. It had been in Tesco for a long time, in the limited game section there, hanging around in the middle of the charts. But the other day I found it in the clearance section, so it must have just been wanted rid of to make way for new stuff maybe. I have no idea how it could get to that kind of price though really.

Posted

Today on Teto's Bargain Hour

I've been helping out in this charity shop where I live, and so I get a look in at all the stuff in the back room that they don't have on the shop floor. Last week I got a hardback Terry Pratchett novel (Dodger) for £1, though I will probably not read it for like years, and Cooking Mama on DS for £3 (bought on behalf of a friend, but still nice to find stuff like that)

This week, in came a bunch of old Doctor Who serials on DVD, so I felt compelled to buy them as well. The pricing dictates that DVDs are £1 each, but they said, since I was helping out, they'd give me them at 3 for £1. And then they took a pound off of that for employee discount. So I got all these for £4.

hfiJgOE.jpg

SilverAlchemic and PrimaGaga like this

Posted

Wow you really fetched a good price for those :D