New Smashbros Discussion Thread

715 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

There may be tournaments specifially for edited characters, but it would be a clusterpuppy. Maybe a side tournament, like a not serious one.

And I hope Project M will become irrelevant, but I don't see it happening. Project M doesn't even know what it is anymore– it did the opposite of balance out the characters.

Edited by L.L. Bean's Menswear (see edit history)

Posted

I haven't played M since summer 2013, so I don't know how it has changed since

Posted

For the longest time I had no idea why Project M was so popular 'cause I was under the impression that it had shitty game play mechanics and completely deviated and trashed the already established Metroid canon.

And then I actually Googled "Project M" haha

Posted

Yeah that was the joke. Haha

Posted

So Shulk, the 9th sameface anime sword character was officially revealed today. But who cares? 

Posted

Super Soul Calibur Bros. is officially the new name of the game. Everyone gets swords now.

Posted

If you haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles, you should. Its actually super awesome. Shulk's signature ability is the ability to see into the future, which allows him to form plans to counteract it. Example, boss is about to unleash a devastating party wide attack, but you know in advance, so you can slap a monado barrier on the whole party. So BASICALLY this means he is probably going to be the read character, I.e. the character that is best when you are good at reading what your opponent does. It looked like he had like 2 or 3 counters in that video?

Also, Xenoblade Chronicles has moves with effects that vary based on what side of the opponent you hit, along with other situational things, i.e. the BACK SLASH is a move that does double damage or something like that if you attack from behind. It is one of his signature moves lol

But yeah, I didn't beat it because of reasons, but it really is an awesome game. Its sequel is coming out on the Wii U

Posted

That's interesting. The character just looks incredibly boring design-wise, thoigh.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Yes, but is compensated for the fact that everyone has the most wonderful stupid accents ever

Posted

I beat Xenoblade earlier this year and love it, so I think the character announcement trailer is pretty great, especially since they used one of my favorite songs in the game towards the second half. The OST in general is really good. I would tell you all to track down a copy if you like jrpgs but its pretty expensive nowadays. I also think it would be a good idea to play it before Xenoblade X if you plan on getting that. Back to Smash talk though, I'm looking forward to trying him out.

Posted

I also don't find this to be too weird, especially considering no one even knew who Roy and Marth were when Melee came out, but because of their inclusion, Fire Emblem wound up becoming super popular in the US. there is a good chance they are hoping for the same from Shulk, considering the amount of effort required to get Xenoblade Chronicles in the US

Also, a remake for the original game was apparently announced for the New Nintendo 3DS. Which was literally announced today.

Posted (edited)

This New 3DS things sounds horrible, I wish Nintendo would stop making 8983983092 versions of all their handhelds, especially since this one is supposed to be more powerful than the other 3DS models and is the only 3DS that will be able to run this port of Xenoblade, not that I'm in a hurry to buy a game I've already played, it's just that this could be the first of many games.

Edited by Double45 (see edit history)

Posted

I found out about it like 10 minutes ago when I checked the Xenoblade Chronicles wikipedia page, and it mentioned the remake being announced for the new 3ds on 8/29/2014. I did a double take. Probably would have spit my drink out if I had one.

Posted

Okay yeah Shulk is definitely a play at getting Xenoblade Chronicles to be popular in the US. Especially if they just announced a new game on the same day as they announced him being a character. No question about it.