Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

Uh, unrelated to everything skyler said last page except that comment about non pc things;

taken from a quote on another forum.

Oh for god's sake.

PC, for all of its much mocked clumsily well-meaning euphemisms, is just an attempt to show good manners. It may be "PC" to decline to say nig nog or porridge wog or bogtrotter or sheeny or shirtlifter, it is also POLITE to decline to say those things. To try and make out that BEING POLITE is evil/unacceptable/a "conspiracy" by "lefties"/a bleeding liberty, gorblimey/etc. is monumentally self-important, self-pitying and idiotic squidding codswallop.

When people whine about PC what they are basically saying is "boo hoo, I'm not allowed to behave like a spoiled, vindictive little schoolgirl and say anything I want to whoever I want and get away with it, that's so unfair." Yet these are often the very same people who love to gloatingly tell other people that life isn't fair. The hypocrisy and utter lack of self-awareness unhinges the mind.

Every squidding right wing wank rag in this country feeds the populace a steady trickle of stories that are either exaggerated or purely and simply untrue - you can't get a job unless you're black/'Baa Baa Black Sheep' has been banned in nursery schools/Christmas has been officially renamed Winterval because the "Christ" bit might offend Muslims, blardy-blah. And people lap them up, they want to believe they are true, because it feeds their surburban pettiness, their seething impotent fury at the sheer OUTRAGE of HAVING TO TAKE THEIR WHEELIE BIN OUT, the whole curtain twitching prurience and 'it's alright for some' bitterness that makes Britain shit. Because it is *those* attitudes, not lefty handwringing, that make Britain such a depressing place to live, possibly the only country in the world whose collective response to the bleakness of life is to spitefully try and make it even bleaker, and to slate those who think otherwise, so that everyone is as miserable and downtrodden as everyone else.

Not attacking or anything, just stating my opinion on people who get mad about Political Correctness. Just think of it as common human decency.

Posted

Sometimes, some people say they know me. I don't know where I know them from so I can of just stand. . . there. . . awkwardly. . . smiling.

so there was this guy a few years back, i was working a volunteer silent auction for NHS, and when i got there with my friend, this guy came up all like "its been foreverrrrr" like he knew me. this guy didnt even look /vaguely/ familiar, i had no bloody idea who he was, and im pretty sure now that it was all an act for the lolz. ever since, ive had the urge to do the same to someone--walk up to them in the dining hall, ask them how things have been going since the last time i saw them, etc, when i never knew them in the first place.

PC is just....its gotten out of hand, i think. its one thing to be polite, and, you know, not dump racial slurs in conversation and whatnot. but its grown to this extravagant form that is nothing but cumbersome in conversation and social interaction, because youre paranoid that the person youre talking to is hypersensitive about it or something. and then they make some comment about their own race--something thatd sound racist out of anyone elses mouth (well, still racist, but somehow not as bad)--and then you dont know what to think anymore.

Posted

PC is just....its gotten out of hand, i think. its one thing to be polite, and, you know, not dump racial slurs in conversation and whatnot. but its grown to this extravagant form that is nothing but cumbersome in conversation and social interaction, because youre paranoid that the person youre talking to is hypersensitive about it or something. and then they make some comment about their own race--something thatd sound racist out of anyone elses mouth (well, still racist, but somehow not as bad)--and then you dont know what to think anymore.

THIS

It's like treating everyone like a child. You know, there are certain things you don't want a small child to hear, except now everyone is a child. You cant meet someone new without putting on a facade and stepping around egg shells.

Posted

It's both, but never at the same time. I guess just playing devil's advocate, also. Not because I hate "progress" or "causes", because that's not the case. I just think that things have a way of working themselves out. Mostly due to these kinds of causes.

My only real greivance is that blatant propaganda makes me mad. But like, who cares what makes me mad. lol. It sounds childish, but I feel like I should just voice some opposition because it's necessary.

Yeah I do that irl too. Yesterday my friends were complaining about the poor quality of the marking of our essays. I just spent my time trying to shoot them down by going on about perfectly reasonable explinations to the poor marking which didn't make the teacher a bad person like I felt they were making them out to be.

If the argument is all totally one sided ignorance will breed. Or something.

Posted

I agree with Ammonsa on "political correctness". God, I hate that term so much. It's a stupid, lazy buzzword pulled out only to diminish any attempts at being polite and making society a tiny bit more fair and accepting to live in, basically, it's one of the pettiest things ever.

Posted

Right. And people will get carried away. If everyone agreed all of the time about controversial things then it'd just turn into a big circlejerk. I'm not implying that I'm the reason why there's not ignorance here. It's not like it's my "duty". That's dumb.

The majority of the forums is really liberal.

Yeah I don't know. I'm still in the process of developing my opinions on a lot of things. I still feel like I'm pretty impressionable. I get all these extreme views from people online from big walls of text on tumblr. I don't doubt that they're very nice ideas, but I still need to remember to take a step back and actually consider it.

I don't want to be so strict about how people should act, and I don't want to be one of those people who will take any opportunity to educate people in real life. Not actually met anybody like that, but tumblr members are real people with real bodies, who speak real words with their voice. And I'm sure I'll end up meeting one of these people eventually, and probably get annoyed by them. I get their message but chill out wow.

Complain about religion being so strict that nobody is free of sin.

Blow up at people who say anything that could offend anybody ever.

Don't want to be like that.

If you get what I mean

!!!

Posted

im gonna go make a thread for this, brb.

(or if there is one already, im gonna go dig it up)

Posted

I agree with Ammonsa on "political correctness". God, I hate that term so much. It's a stupid, lazy buzzword pulled out only to diminish any attempts at being polite and making society a tiny bit more fair and accepting to live in, basically, it's one of the pettiest things ever.

See, I just think it's ridiculous most of the time and usually inaccurate. For example-

In America, it's PC to call a black person, "African American." But unless they are actually from Africa, they are just Black to me. I don't see anything wrong with that. In fact, I prefer to be called white. Not European American. Because no, I'm just American. I personally am not from Europe, nor have I ever been. To even further it, I've meet plenty of Black people FROM AFRICA. And while I'd have absolutely no problem calling them African American, they more often than not prefer to just be black. (This is based on my own experience and I can't speak for every African American.)

Basically, I think the whole thing is hypocritical. They wanna be called African American (and by them, i mean a few people that ruin it for everyone else) but never have I heard ANYONE call ANY white person European American unironically.

Not all PCness is bad but gosh so much of it is just ridiculous!

Posted

There's a difference between political correctness and politeness. Political correctness is forcing people to walk on eggshells because a perfectly innocent comment might "offend" somebody. Like saying "you're a filthy racist because you think Black History Month and Women's History Month and whatever other specialized history months are out there have no place in modern society." Or the woman who got in trouble for saying that a couple of kids who just happened to be black were acting like monkeys because of the way they were playing around in a tree. There is a political correctness problem.

Edit for iwasaninja's ninjaing post: I remember during some riot in France, a bunch of newscasters were referring to the French black people as "African Americans." It was hilarious.

Posted

Lol, yeah I once called this Black chick a gorilla because of the way she acted, not even thinking about race, and boy, did I get in trouble.

Edit for iwasaninja's ninjaing post: I remember during some riot in France, a bunch of newscasters were referring to the French black people as "African Americans." It was hilarious.

I had a debate with this dumb bitch once about whether or not African Americans were a targeted minority in the holocaust. She eventually gave up and called me "ignit" (ignorant) before I said "Yeah, no. Pretty sure all the African Americans were chilling over here in America." It finally clicked for her.

Posted

im gonna go make a thread for this, brb.

(or if there is one already, im gonna go dig it up)

Nah, if there was one it'll be way old. Just link to it in the OP.

Posted

But you are being cynical. You're the very definition.

cyn·i·cal/ˈsinikəl/

Adjective:

• Believing that people are motivated by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.
  • Doubtful as to whether something will happen or is worthwhile.

Posted

No. But you're cynical to denounce it and claim everyone who follows it is ignorant.

Posted

:/

Posted

cynicism is just being realistic. life isnt wrapped up in a bow tie with a happy ending