Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Homosexuality & Christians

135 posts in this topic

Posted

That's actually a nice story. I'd like to believe it, but I'm still a stubborn little atheist. I could accept any number of things which I don't understand, but I wont because I think they're a little silly. But yeah, it could just be one of those things which relies on faith, like you said. Which makes it hard for me to call it a pile of rubbish.

But anyway, I was just thinking on one thing. You say that Christianity is all about Jesus rising from the dead, but isn't that just Protestantism? Catholicism is mainly about the importance of his sacrifice over that he rose again. Or something.

Posted

Catholics and Protestants believe basically the same thing. They dislike each other over the small details. However, I was raised Catholic and for a long time it turned me off of the whole God thing. Catholics (At least all the ones I have ever met) just seemed to be going through the motions without passion. I went to Catholic schools until I was expelled my freshman year of high school. I was the only student in my class who actually read the Bible. I'm not trying to knock on Catholics, 'cause I know there has to be some good in them. Catholicism just wasn't for me, and this is what I have personally observed.

Posted

Catholicism places an importance on being good, much more so than Protestantism. In Catholicism, there are two kinds of sins. Mortal sins and Venial sins. A Mortal sin is a sin that leads straight to hell unless appropriate and immediate action is taken. Confession and Repentance are required to be forgiven of a Mortal sin. Venial sins are small sins, like white lies. They are bad, but forgivable and do not lead to eternal damnation. It all gets worked out in purgatory.

Incidentally, neither purgatory or Mortal/Venial sins are mentioned in the Bible. In the Bible, sin is sin.

Protestantism, in most forms, places an importance on faith. Sure, they don't want you sinning either, and are usually very quick to point out your faults. But, most Protestants believe that, once you accept Jesus as your savior and believe in him completely, you are eternally saved from damnation. Nothing can change that.

The Bible agrees with Protestantism more, from my experience with it, but it also places an importance on works by faith. Faith without works is dead faith, so it is still important to never give up on trying to be a better person. Constantly forgive, constantly love, and constantly move on.

Posted

Fun stuff.

So Lionheart's reasons against homosexuality are religion based and there's no way I can convince him to think like I do. That's fine. Doesn't effect me.

I have no problem with you thinking the way you do, but ideally I'd like you to think like I do. But you don't and won't, so oh well.

Posted

I'm not hating on you, Silves. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I don't want it to come across that way. If you are absolutely sure that homosexuality isn't wrong, then by all means ignore me and go about your life. I'm the one who isn't convinced. And I'm trying to make you question your actions, question your beliefs. In my own way, I care about you and want you to become a happy, fulfilled person. I would never hate you for your sexuality. Or for pretty much anything you did. If you killed my family then yeah, I might be enraged. But hating people isn't really something I want to do.

I wish I knew you IRL so that we could hang out, and I could back up what I say. I know I'm just another face on the internet.

Posted

I'm not hating on you, Silves. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I don't want it to come across that way. If you are absolutely sure that homosexuality isn't wrong, then by all means ignore me and go about your life. I'm the one who isn't convinced. And I'm trying to make you question your actions, question your beliefs. In my own way, I care about you and want you to become a happy, fulfilled person. I would never hate you for your sexuality. Or for pretty much anything you did. If you killed my family then yeah, I might be enraged. But hating people isn't really something I want to do.

I wish I knew you IRL so that we could hang out, and I could back up what I say. I know I'm just another face on the internet.

I didn't think you were hating on me. I remember you saying before that you don't dislike gay people. You'd just prefer it if we weren't gay, is what I'm seeing.

And yeah, you're not 'just another face on the internet'. I mean, you're one of the nice faces on the internet. If I was keeping score, you'd have a lot more good than sin.

Posted

I used to hate you Lionheart, but now you are kinda, almost, sorta cool. Haha, just kidding, you are alright by me.

Posted

Zeldafaaancs

Posted

Man. I haven't gone by that name in a while. lol.

Posted

Holy crap, this topic grows quickly.

I meant to say that I don't know if it's an actual natural feeling, or if it's a decided feeling. Like, I used to hate running. However, I made myself run, and through sheer willpower, I made myself like running. I know sexuality and running are very different things, but the idea of willing yourself to change your mindset isn't impossible.

I don't really think it's a will thing, and in fact I'm pretty sure it's a hormonal thing, but I can't discredit the idea because I haven't had any experiences to prove one side or the other.

Posted

Maybe the very fact that things are in existence is unnatural, but the fact that it managed to do so makes it natural by the very definition that it exists.

Posted

Unnatural means "contrary to the ordinary course of nature." By definition, homosexuality is unnatural, as it is not the norm. So are left-handed people. This is what I mean when I say it is unnatural.

I did not mean "not existant in nature; artificial" because obviously we are all a part of nature and homosexuals are no exception.

Posted

I'm left-handed and homosexual. :)

Posted

I'm left-handed too. But I'm actually practicing with my right hand more, so I can become ambidextrous.

Posted

I've always wanted to, but I never got the hang of it and I'm too laxy to practice. But yeah.